• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Game server

Started by BladeSabre, April 08, 2005, 12:02:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BladeSabre

I've been wondering about where the game is hosted from. Is the server "yours", or is it some kind of commercial arrangement?

matlu

Quote from: BladeSabre on April 08, 2005, 12:02:54 AM
I've been wondering about where the game is hosted from. Is the server "yours", or is it some kind of commercial arrangement?

- physically it is located in Prague (central Europe)
- the hardware is mine, I bought it
- of course I have to have an agreement with internet service provider (in fact it is server-hosting agreement)

Parsley

Prague?

Fancy inviting us over for the grand opening?

matlu

Quote from: Parsley on April 08, 2005, 02:14:14 PM
Prague?

Fancy inviting us over for the grand opening?

Ehm, grand opening? What do you mean? :) Where are you from?

Parsley

Well... You could cut the ribbon on the server, and then we could all go buy you a few steins of beer at the local hospoda :)

matlu

Quote from: Parsley on April 08, 2005, 03:23:31 PM
Well... You could cut the ribbon the server, and then we could all go buy you a few steins of beer at the local hospoda :)

oooh, you seem to be somehow familiar with Czech republic, and local language  :)

Parsley

Nope. Just the local beer.

Mmmm. Budvar.

BladeSabre

Ok, I guess that kind of setup is what I was expecting. I know that hosting an online game is rather different from hosting a website, and owning a computer for the purpose might be the only useful option.

And I'm going to join the chorus of "Cool, you live in the Czech republic!" ;)

I was planning to go there once, but it didn't work out.

Parsley

Want to join us to the CW v.2 opening ceremony? 

Rumour is Matlu's laying on free nachos!

dragon75

czech republic? well, i can't be there. WAAAAAAAAAAY too far for me. i live in the U.S.
"castle it was called, and many did play. cyber wars, battlethingz, MM, crypt. the games i did play and it is for the love of the game i stay."-me

BladeSabre

It would have to be at the right time of year, I've got a lot going on at the moment ;)

I live in the UK so it's not quite so far. Still not sure if I'd have the money for a trip like that though.

Parsley, what country are you from?

matlu

QuoteI was planning to go there once, but it didn't work out.

This city is well-known tourist attraction. When walking through the city center it's mostly quite hard to hear local language, most people are tourists (and I'm not exaggerating).

QuoteI live in the UK so it's not quite so far.

Perhaps I'll visit UK in the summer, I'll let you know then.

BladeSabre

I wasn't going to the city, though the location wasn't far from there. It was an event hosted by the Woodcraft League, and it involved camping in the countryside. The leaders would have been happy enough to have me there, but it fell through because I was under 18, and no-one was prepared to go with me. There was a group going from the UK that I was hoping to tag along with, but they eventually decided not to let me come. I was rather disappointed.

T3h luggage

Cool.  I have distant relatives in the czech republic... I'm not sure, but I think Bohemia?  I don't know much about them.  That anywhere near there?

matlu

Quote from: T3h luggage on May 05, 2005, 04:16:47 AM
Cool.  I have distant relatives in the czech republic... I'm not sure, but I think Bohemia?  I don't know much about them.  That anywhere near there?

I believe that Bohemie is historical name for biggest part of Czech Republic. I'm not sure if it is still widely used, to me this name sounds a bit obsolete.

Have a look here for geography lesson, they have nice information:  :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemia