• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

how to stop cheaters?

Started by matlu, April 10, 2005, 10:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matlu

2 players from same IP should not be able to join same game, that's without discussion, and it will soon work this way.

But I was also warned about players who have for example router, and are able to overcome IP check. I don't think I'm too good in low level networking stuff, anybody has some idea how to prevent it?

My idea is: to not allow people with IP, which differs only in LAST number to enter same game (e.g AA.BB.CC.XX  and AA.BB.CC.YY )
Good idea? Bad idea? Will it solve the problem?

ZAPTONE_Z

if some really wants to get two players in from the same location.....theyll find a way

using a proxy ect

BladeSabre

Are you going to let two players from the same IP join a non-rated game? (I might well want to play other people on the same network as me.) Though it would be good if other players in the game were informed when this happened.

I don't think there's any completely reliable way to detect someone logging in twice. Some systems block the IP addresses of all known proxy services, but there's new ones appearing all the time. Even assuming it's possible, there's no way to stop someone from getting a friend on the other side of the world to just sit there and lose many times.

matlu

Quote from: BladeSabre on April 11, 2005, 12:00:13 AM
Even assuming it's possible, there's no way to stop someone from getting a friend on the other side of the world to just sit there and lose many times.

Sadly, this is true.

Another idea: If you killed somebody whose rating is less than half of yours, you get NO points for him. For example once you reach 200 points, you get nothing for killing newbies. Once you reach 300 points, you get nothing for killing people with less than 150 points.
This should prevent people from creating fake accounts, in order to kill them with "real" account, and harvest points this way. (And as side-effect, it will also prevent newbies from being killed too often be strong players, which is good I think).

BlitzJoker

Quote from: matlu on April 11, 2005, 12:14:44 PM
Sadly, this is true.

Another idea: If you killed somebody whose rating is less than half of yours, you get NO points for him. For example once you reach 200 points, you get nothing for killing newbies. Once you reach 300 points, you get nothing for killing people with less than 150 points.
This should prevent people from creating fake accounts, in order to kill them with "real" account, and harvest points this way. (And as side-effect, it will also prevent newbies from being killed too often be strong players, which is good I think).

Might be a good idea if you stop this after say 200 or 300 points, other ways lets say me and zz(equally skilled) want to play each other, but zz plays twice as much as me(likely to happen), eventually it wouldnt even be worth his time to play me....

matlu

Quote from: BlitzJoker on April 11, 2005, 01:42:34 PM
Might be a good idea if you stop this after say 200 or 300 points, other ways lets say me and zz(equally skilled) want to play each other, but zz plays twice as much as me(likely to happen), eventually it wouldnt even be worth his time to play me....

I see no reason to stop it. Let's say that you have to fight your way out of "newbie crowd", till you are "worthy" to play with hi-ranked players. If you are equally skilled, you will advance fast enough to reach his level soon (or at least half of his level, which is enough).

Parsley

I very much like the idea of score being calculated according to the levels of those people you beat.

Conversely though, should score be deducted at a greater rate if you are beated by a lower level player?

Parsley

Will just mean that the 'rich' can't prosper by raping 'poor' people - they have to try and win against better opponents.

A moderated points system will make the game a lot more popular. 

If someone joins with 100 pts, and sees the leaderboard has 2k+ on there, well...  most people won't give a fuck about trying to get up there.

(& the oldskool aren't most people)

noobs

For gods sake just leave it like the old cw, it worked well except for the cheat. I for 1 are not going to play this game if that is the way the score will work. And i know alot of others who wont either.

Parsley

Yeah, I am a bit of a one man band on this one.  Think I'll leave it be.

Mortus_Sabre

Whatever you do, do it fast.  I have a guy following me around who keeps using double guest accounts, and calls me a f***ing noob while beating me with his two seperate names.  PLEASE enact these safety protocols ASAP and preferably, get rid of Guest names...

Mortus

matlu

Quote from: Mortus_Sabre on April 17, 2005, 07:05:31 AM
Whatever you do, do it fast.  I have a guy following me around who keeps using double guest accounts, and calls me a f***ing noob while beating me with his two seperate names.  PLEASE enact these safety protocols ASAP and preferably, get rid of Guest names...

Mortus

Ok, will work by tomorrow

matlu

Ok, done & uploaded.

2 players from same computer should not be able to join same *rated* game.

Please test it, in several days I probably reset score table.

Sabre Akh

Awesome job matlu. Comes up with an exclamation point and a red message preventing me from entering :D

Mortus_Sabre

Good job Matlu, I haven't found any bugs with it yet.  You're my hero!

Mortus