• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

promoting this site

Started by matlu, April 20, 2005, 02:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matlu

QuoteIt always seems to be empty when I go in there though... and at the moment I lack the patience to wait around for long

That's true, only few people knows about this site, and it's probably only  possible to play at late evening U.S. time.

I think that we should start with advertising/promoting this site very soon. The game seems to be quite stable, and there wasn't any serious bug for several weeks. I will reset the scoretable very soon (within few days) and also finish some other needed things. I will also try to improve webpage design today or tomorrow.

Any ideas how to promote the site?

- Probably most convenient and simplest way, is to register this site in various game review/directory webpages. There are hundreds such websites around, you sure know some (or can easily find some). For this purpose, it would be good to have some uniform "advertising" slogan message, just few sentences which would describe what kind of games are here and what is it all about etc etc.  I don't dare to prepare such slogan myself (my english is too bad), if you can, write few sentences and post it here. Definitely it should mention that the games are *online & multiplayer*, it should mention the flagship (Cyber Battles), perhaps also mention that it is Chaos/Cyberwars clone (not sure about this), maybe also say that it has scoretable, 3d checkers. And so on. You know what I mean :)

- if you have any other ideas how to promote this site just post it here as well

Mortus_Sabre

Not that I'm complaining, but I was under the impression that you preferred all the graphics to be replaced before letting the site go truly public.

Mortus

matlu

- your promo message is quite good. Sentence the remake of  Cyber Wars, which was originally inspired by the game Chaos  seems a bit cumbersome to me, I would shorten it to something like: inspired by popular games Cyber Wars and Chaos
- I don't think that it's necessary to rename Connect-4

- yes, it would be better to have all the graphics replaced first. But I'm not able to create it myself. On the other hand: promoting the site => more people know about the site => bigger chance that somebody submits new graphics. So I can just hope that it gets replaced before I get sued.

BladeSabre

What would you think of the idea of replacing all the remaining graphics now, with quick-and-ugly ones?

matlu

Quote from: BladeSabre on April 21, 2005, 05:20:01 PM
What would you think of the idea of replacing all the remaining graphics now, with quick-and-ugly ones?

sure, quick-and-ugly is better than stolen.  (but it doesn't apply to quick-and-TOO-ugly :)  There should be some limit )

BladeSabre

Ok, I might be able to come up with a few of those.

I would imagine that the uglier they are, the sooner people will offer to replace them ;)

matlu

Quote from: BladeSabre on April 21, 2005, 07:13:26 PM
Ok, I might be able to come up with a few of those.

I would imagine that the uglier they are, the sooner people will offer to replace them ;)

Everything you've made so far is very nice and doesn't need to be replaced. More of them are highly welcome and appreciated :)

BladeSabre

I'm glad you like them. No, I mean I no longer have time to spend an hour or two each on them. If I do a load of 10-minute ones then *those* will probably want replacing later.

Parsley

Just use something like chess-piece graphics & names itmt.
e.g.
Alien queen --> Queen
Mutant mount --> Knight
Psi lord --> bishop
Psi beast --> Prawn

HellsRage666

wow i never realized they were stolen. Id be glad to help with graphics but i wanr you, they may not be that good. Just post whatever ud like me to try and i'll give it a shot.

matlu

Quote from: HellsRage666 on May 11, 2005, 05:54:40 AM
wow i never realized they were stolen. Id be glad to help with graphics but i wanr you, they may not be that good. Just post whatever ud like me to try and i'll give it a shot.

Ehm, let's better call it "borrowed" :) Sounds better :) You are welcome to remake ANY graphics, which hasn't been already remade :) If you played old cyberwars, you should be able to tell old graphics from new.
BTW somoebody should also try to replace force field, and effects (beam-down, also this rotating thing used for example as icon for  Technology 1/2)

Shades

Anyway, back to promoting the site:

I've got my own domain name using the Tripod.com service, and what I could do, is make a small fansite(which i could expand if I get many hits), for Duelboard and Cyber Battles. Then, using one of Tripod's features, I can promote my site off of Google, so that if anyone searches say "Cyber Wars" or something of the sort, my site will come up as a result. With my site being linked to the Duelboard mainpage, the user will in turn come to the Duelboard website, resulting in more active members.

(Good idea, or waste of time?)

Leme know,
           Shades

matlu

Quote from: Shades on May 12, 2005, 07:17:08 PM
(Good idea, or waste of time?)

I don't know, to be honest, I'm not very good in marketing, promoting and such stuff. In fact I always sort of almost hated such people  :)  But probably I'll have to become one of them.
So if you think that it could help, do it.

I myself had recently 2 more ideas:

- I will try to get some "affiliates" for link (or) banner exchange. Of course I don't want to pollute my site with links to any site, they will have to be of good quality and with related content (and at least little bit estabilished and active). There are many indie-game-makers around and I'm sure some will be interested

- I'm not sure yet, but I will possibly allow the people to have my games on their site (to have link, which will directly open game window). I've seen it on other gaming site, and it is probably good way of promotion (in my situation)

Shades

Well, let's do it like this, i'll make the site, mail you the URL and then let me know what ya think..

hows that sound?

matlu