• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Tips

Started by TheMcCool, March 20, 2005, 09:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMcCool

Lets collect them all in one place, then later someone can make a guide if they want. I'll start it off with a general common sense one, as a good introduction for newbies.

Trust No One

Even if everyone "agrees" to top vs bottom or left vs right, that doesn't mean your team mate won't kill you if you leave yourself open. Someone not taking advantage of a clear opening is the exception, not the rule. Where is the honor? Well, in the end there can only be one. So in general, unless you have made an agreement with someone, never trust anyone. And if you are double-crossed by someone you had an agreement with, then don't trust them again. Although things usually don't get very complicated, watching how this all plays out in a good long 5 or 6 player game is half the fun. Psychological warfare in a way, simplified as it is.
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.
-The very available Song Flower

(Please Copy and Paste This In Your Profile Wink) <<i dont see the point.  Huh

matlu

Mostly it is also very unfair to make an agreement. Especially in 3 player game. If two of them gans up against the third, poor guy simply has no chance to win (unless he is extremely lucky).

I used to play a lot some "collectible card games", especially "vampire: the eternal struggle", and the situation was pretty same. If you know the game, you know what I mean. If somebody gangs up, the rest one has no chance.

So i think that such agreements are only acceptable, when everybody agrees. And probably should not be 'legal' in rated games, becase yes, only one can win.

I hope that in future I'll be able to implement some game variations (maybe something like clans, maybe just 2 vs. 2 people game), and this will allow 'legal' cooperation.

TheMcCool

That's an interesting point, never really occurred to me to make it illegal or anything. How it played out in original game was people ended up hating clans like the Sabres, but most vets(including me) didn't care because we liked the challenge. Not to mention bragging rights lol. Well see you guys tomorrow maybe, was just checking before bed.
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.

Sheep

like me not trusting zzboots to be on my team anymore. BSing evil person.

TheMcCool

But he's being impersonated! ZOMG!!!111

Sheep

ya probally, ill like it when regestering comes to work. Im still calling whoever killed me a backstabber

TheMcCool

I just want to say that despite my "warning" about it, I don't think anyone should take it very seriously. It's just a game, and the object is to win. Backstabbing is a legitimate tactic- there is nothing really wrong with it in the context of a simple strategy game like this. Just laugh and move on. If I used it in my play style I wouldn't be ashamed of it or deny doing it. I don't refrain from doing it out of some concept of honor, it just doesn't fit my tactics. I prefer to play somewhat defensively and wait to see how I am approached/attacked, then take advantage of opponents' mistakes/weak formations/etc.

TheMcCool

You mean we haven't already? Lol, I guess you were being impersonated.

Odin

I don't consider backstabbing a legitimate tactic. Been a while since I played the original cw and back then I hardly did teams (except for the 6 player ones and sometimes the 4 - usually more when I knew someone in there), but in a 4 player (highest it usually gets here) where there are teams, I usually kill whoever my opponent is (usually top against bottom, so I kill whoever the top or bottom person is) and then wait for my "teammate" to kill his (are there any female players around????) opponent. Partly because I want to see whether my teammate is capable of killing his opponent and partly because I don't really believe in teaming up on one person, but I would come to my teammate's aid if he is really getting screwed. I'd guess some players would claim I play it that way to become the strongest player on the field when it is done to the last two, but that's only a small reason. Besides, I'd have earned it. That's as close as I'll ever get to "backstabbing" (unless it is someone impersonating me - I haven't been on too much the past week and over the next week, I might not be on much either). :-P

Somewhat of a rant, but I'm about to head off for the night.
"You are neither right nor wrong because the crowd disagrees with you, you are right because your data and reasoning are right."
-- Benjamin Graham

T3h luggage

The only safe partnership is one that is made in real life, where you can at least shout at the person if they backstab you...

Odin

Additionally, I think tips should probably be kept more as "trade secrets" that are discovered when playing your opponents or shared if you are in a clan (assuming the idea is implemented). Some players play differently and some players (such as myself) have different patterns. Think players are also more inclined to take risks currently, since you have nothing to lose if you lose.
"You are neither right nor wrong because the crowd disagrees with you, you are right because your data and reasoning are right."
-- Benjamin Graham

T3h luggage

Heh, at this point we don't have enugh people to make clans.

BlitzJoker

I don't think it's possible to really truly give any playing tips that will help anyone, because every game is different, theres always different factors that will effect what you do, and the player must learn(through experience) the smartness that is needed to know what is the best to do based on the contributing factors to the situation. I think it is pointless to try and discuss them...

Odin

Quote from: T3h luggage on March 28, 2005, 06:43:34 PM
Heh, at this point we don't have enugh people to make clans.

I don't mean implementing it in probably the next month. We'd probably have enough players (probably by siphoning some of the worthy players from rs, that multiplayer game and various other places. Like the previous suggestion on another forum, perhaps having a text file on file sharing networks like kazaa claiming links to free XXX-rated sites, though whether we want those kinds of people is questionable) when it is near completion to have what would start to resemble clans. As for now, we aren't really mentioning the game to anyone because of potential problems that could be introduced.

As for Blitz's comment, I think there are some obvious things that shouldn't be done. I've seen players mutate their own Battle Mechs and other good creatures.
-- Benjamin Graham

T3h luggage

Yeah, you should only mutate face grabbers or alien hatchlings...
What did he get?