• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Question???

Started by Brian, March 20, 2005, 06:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Hey,

I was wondering about something, about attacking creatures.

For example a Hover craft has an attack of 2.
The defence of a commander is 5

So i was told there is a 2/5 chance of the commander Dieing.

Now

A predator has an attack of 9
A commander has a defence of 8 (+3 from force armor)

So i think the chance of the commander dieing is 9/8

Which is over 100% of success, now why did the commander survive?

Cheers Brian

matlu

no no no, that's not how it works. The formula is following:

probability to kill = (STRENGTH - DEFENCE + 5) * 10%

(only STRENGTH of attacking monster, and DEFENCE of defending monster are taken into acount, nothing else)

So when strength equals to defence, the probablility is always 50%. For each strength point above oponent's defence you get +10% bonus. And vice versa, for each strength point below defence you get -10% handicap.

Brian

Hey,

Sorry i did not know about the forumla.

Thankyou for clearing out this question.

Cheers Brian

matlu

I changed combat system, and previously mentioned formula is no longer used! I believe that new formula is far better than previous.

To make the game more interesting, I will not disclose new formula  ;)

flamingdragon

u will tell us the new formula 8)
Adun Toridas, Executor.

matlu

Ok. People wonder all the time "how could I be killed be probe!", etc. etc. so after all I decided to disclose combat system.

"random(0..9)" denotes random number in range 0..9

Two random numbers are generated, one is added to strength, second is added to defence

STR = strength + random(0..9)
DEF = defence + random(0..9)

attack succeeded if  STR >= DEF

thats all. It's better than previous system, but maybe now there is too big chance for monsters with low strength to kill monsters with high defence.

I really don't know. If anybody has some better idea, let me know.

zzboots

It sounds pretty good.  So a probe has a 1% chance of killing a bmech and a 3% chance of surviving a mech attack?  (I think I did the math right.)
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo

ZAPTONE_Z

0-9 seems like a big interval

maybe shrink it down to 0-7?

zzboots

Quote from: ZAPTONE_Z on April 10, 2005, 10:37:19 PM
0-9 seems like a big interval

maybe shrink it down to 0-7?

That would make it impossible for probe to kill bmech.
-William G. McAdoo

ZAPTONE_Z

......and that's a problem because???

zzboots

Quote from: ZAPTONE_Z on April 10, 2005, 11:13:11 PM
......and that's a problem because???

Probes deserve their moment of glory too.

What about a system where an attacking monster's strength gives him so many chances.  So a strength of 6 = 6 chances.  Then the defending monster has so many chances as well.  Each chance either works or not.  Then if the number of successes for the attacking monster is greater than the successes of the defending monster. It dies.  I dunno if this system would work. Like a probe would have a 1/2^10 chance killing a bmech.
-William G. McAdoo

matlu

Quote from: zzboots on April 10, 2005, 11:27:15 PM
Probes deserve their moment of glory too.

What about a system where an attacking monster's strength gives him so many chances.  So a strength of 6 = 6 chances.  Then the defending monster has so many chances as well.  Each chance either works or not.  Then if the number of successes for the attacking monster is greater than the successes of the defending monster. It dies.  I dunno if this system would work. Like a probe would have a 1/2^10 chance killing a bmech.

This seems to be too complicated. You know, even such complicated system can be probably aproximated by some simplier function, because in the end it anyway just describes single number: probability to kill a monster (depending on strength and defence). So let's better find some function, with str and def as parameters, and probability as result.

zzboots

How about a random number between 1 and the monster's strength/defense level.  If the random number from the attacking monster is greater than the random number of the defensive monster, it dies.    If the number is the same, make it a coinflip between life and death, and if its lower monster lives.  Sorry im a bit out of it now and cant think all the probably through right now.
-William G. McAdoo