• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Resetting scores

Started by hammike, February 01, 2011, 03:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammike

What is the reason for resetting all the scores?  Is it because the previous rating system was unfair compared to the current one? 
eaten today? thank a farmer!

pianowoman

i'm like Mike...what is the purpose of resetting scores.....There is some just play for fun, some here to goof off, others want to go from green to blue, blue to red, red to pink........As for me, i'm over 2000.  I couldn't believe it!! Was exciting I might add!!  UNTIL I read about resetting scores in the middle of Feb.   To be honest with you....I didn't like that one bit!!  Now, i have to start all over.

I do have an idea though.  Please let me know what you think..  There are extra rooms that are empty.. And peeps do get tired of others saying no green or no blue, etc...   Which I know the 5 pts system should have resolved that, but for competitor players it hasn't.  I am a competitor player.  I want a good game of ROOK! Don't matter whether I win or lose in a game of competition., so to solve this issue (i think) why not have everyone work thereselves up the ladder (which is the purpose), blue/greens in one room....red/pinks in another room...  Whatcha think??????

matlu

- I actually don't think that the rating was unfair before. The people were unfair.
- it will reset because it will work differently again

- pianowoman, I'm sorry but I have to reset the score, because it will change and it will not be "compatible" with the current way. I hope you will like the change

pianowoman

thx Matlu for responding.....I hope I will too....I just luvssss  this game!! 

hammike

Two things to discuss.  To begin with, it would be nice to have a place to see how your scoring system works.  For example, how many points to reach 3 stars.  That should be fairly easy, you could just post it in here in a locked thread.

Secondly, I don't agree with your scoring system.  Ten points for a win and lose five when you lose.  It should be the same for a win or a loss.  Those who win more than they lose would gain in rating.  Those who lose more would go down.  The way it is now, some with a losing percentage will have a better rating than some with a winning percentage just because they have played more games. 

I hope I explained my concerns well enough for you, and look forward to your response.

matlu

- you need 100 points to get a star. Once you get all stars you need 200 points to get a star of another color. Then 300 points for another color etc.
- there are some constraints to prevent score from raising quickly indefinitely. It's similar to how the scoring worked originally. If your opponents have higher ranking you can win more than 10 points (up to 15). Similarly, you can lose more than 5 points (up to 10). You always win at least 10 points, and you never lose more than 10 points. So in the worst case, with opponents of low rank, you can win or lose 10 points. So it's always "fair", you can never lose more than win. I may tune the parameters in future, I have to see how it's going to work
- it's not meant to reflect the skill of players, as I believe it's impossible, for various reasons. Instead it reflects "effort", because as you noticed, even losing players will progress slowly. The closest thing to reflect the skill is the win ratio (providing they did not cheat, which is never obvious when you play online), which is still there and you can still check it for any player.

Ms_Deal

No way to please us all...guess we have to start somewhere.

Ms_Deal

Matlu, is there anyway you would please make this site 'pay' year round?  Also, why do you make the rooms hold fewer people when the site is free?

Thank you for this site and all your efforts!

pianowoman

I want my pink coat back!!!

Ms_Deal

I'd like to have another mink coat please..full length preferably, LOL.

hammike

At $3 or $4 per month you would have more people willing to pay, plus it would be year round, resulting in more money for you.  This would cut down on a lot of problems in the lobby.  It has only been free for a few days and there are already problems.  And without mods there will be a lot more. 

BaggingMarty

I feel bad for the good players that lost their high score, doesnt matter to me i play for fun I am one of the goof offs but I do  agree with piano about the rooms.. Make a room for paying members, non-paying members, one for greens ,blues.red and pinks and work your way up.. Oh yeah please make a room for the baggers put them in there then lock the door and throw away the key  :-* Thanks for reading this eagerly awaiting what you think of my ideals!!! ::)

Ms_Deal

Not that my opinion matters, but he tried a 'members only' room once and it didn't work.  I do think the site would run more smoothly by making it a paid site year round.  Maybe let people play free for 10 games, then after that they have to pay.  But you would have to check ip's on all nicknames made for that to work efficiently.  We do however need new moderators.  The only fair and decent ones left are Judy, Sappy, and Missymoo.  All of which are rare online.  Pure Country has given his moderator password or whatever to another player on the site to use at free will. You should consider a moderator that is here on a regular basis at all different times of the day and night, and one that has been a regular player on the site for several years giving them definite guide lines for what you want them to boot for and be consistent  with it.  A site can run smoothly without moderators around consistently and the owner around.  The owner should also take the time to get to know the players that support his or her site.

Another thing to help when moderators or the owner can't be available is to incorporate an option on the tables so the person who sets the table has the ability to control who sits with them.  When the table is set, the person who sets it has control of who get to join the table.

Anyway, I actually think I like the 'star' system. It's new and different.  But then I like a little change to make things more interesting.

The best thing that has been offered is the posting of the percentage of wins for each player.  It would be nice, however, if the percentage showed beside the players names on the list in the lobby. 

One more thing.  Can the number of people allowed in a lobby be raised like  it was during paid months?  And when people with nics are trying to get in and its full, kick the 'guest' that aren't in a game out.

Thanks for your consideration in our requests.

By the way, please give pianowoman her pink coat back.  I think she may have a stroke over this and we sure would miss her, LOL...

pianowoman

lol...my pink coat is worth $2,080  !!   

I'm here a lot!!   Therefore,,,,,,,can I be mod??   please??  with sugar on top???