• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Playing by yourself

Started by Rob Gambino, June 12, 2005, 04:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Gambino

When you create a game and someone else joins, you click start and there is a countdown to when the game starts.  If your opponent leaves before the end of the countdown, then the game starts with only you being there.  If there is only 1 person in the game, it shouldn't start.  It gets kind of annoying.  Thanx.  :D

matlu

It was already discussed - it's more a "feature" than a bug - during development I need very often to start a game for testing, and it's annoying to have to login twice.

But ok, if it's so annoying I will make it as you suggest.

BladeSabre

It's a good feature being able to start a game by yourself. The problem arises if you click to start a game, and then the other person leaves. So you could make it so that the countdown stops if the last of the other players leaves.

Alternatively a "leave game" button inside the game would pretty much solve the problem, and would be good for other things too.

(Edited to add) Perhaps it would work better generally if the countdown stops whenever anyone leaves, and make it so it's not possible to join a game while the countdown is in progress.

matlu

you see, it's impossible to make everyone happy

raikoukami

man your makeing up all this stuff >.< pointless thing we don't really need
i think if there is no one in your group the timer shouldn't start.
Quote from: BladeSabre on June 12, 2005, 07:26:59 PM
It's a good feature being able to start a game by yourself. The problem arises if you click to start a game, and then the other person leaves. So you could make it so that the countdown stops if the last of the other players leaves.

Alternatively a "leave game" button inside the game would pretty much solve the problem, and would be good for other things too.

(Edited to add) Perhaps it would work better generally if the countdown stops whenever anyone leaves, and make it so it's not possible to join a game while the countdown is in progress.
i find that pointless

Rob Gambino

Do what you want, Matlu, it's your game.  I'll still play either way  :P

BladeSabre

Adding the "leave game" button would make everyone happy ;P

Adam

leave game button is good except that will just start people cheating to get points easier...

timer stopping when anyone leaves is good but making it so you cant join with a game in progress is overkill... you should be able to lock a game down if you want though... sometimes i feel like playing only friends and if someone joins then it kinda ruins the purpose... doesnt happen really because of how few people there are at the moment but its something to think about... its obvious you modeled this after cyber wars from the castle so unless there are legal reasons as i heard there were for some things you should look more into copying stuff directly over... like a time setting...

anima

Why would you only want to play friends? The more the merrier  ;D

Bakster

I hate 5-6 player games, you can die far too quickly.

I hate the scenario when you are in the lobby with one other person, and there are maybe one or two other games taking place, and the person insists we wait for them to finish instead of playing a 1v1 game. Wouldn't a 1v1 game pass the time anyway??!?!?!?!?!?!

>:(

TheMcCool

I don't like 1 v 1 games. I like the subtle, or sometimes not so subtle interplay between 4 or more players. 1 v1 games are just too simple and straightforward.
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.
-The very available Song Flower

(Please Copy and Paste This In Your Profile Wink) <<i dont see the point.  Huh

matlu

I agree with both of you, 2 player games are (mostly) very straightforward (but sometimes very funny). In 6 player game you quite often die too soon, without being able to influent it.

Leviathan

Yeah, but in big games, i spend my time chatting to folk and making others laugh! thats how I lost 200 points! But I reckon that's what its all about. Though i class the "Free Points, its Leviathan" chant as bullying!  :D