• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

percentages for cyber battles

Started by Adam, July 09, 2005, 05:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

after playing for a while ive noticed a lot of odd things about the percentages.... i played cyber wars a lot at gamesdomain castle and was one of the top players... after playing in this ive noticed that a probe can just as easily, if not easier sometimes, kill a commander in 1 hit as a spideroid or predator... and 90% beamdowns seem to fail 90% of the time... whereas i seem to have no trouble beaming down 40 or 50%... the percentages in general seem to be messed up as just a few games ago i was killed first hit by a probe(1 strength) when i had force armour(8 defense)

matlu

- you are exaggerating a bit. The probe CANNOT kill a commander with force armour. There is no way.

- beaming down probability: well luck matters a lot. If something has 90% it MAY fail, and next turn something with 10% MAY succeed, it's just unlikely.

- combat system is probably a bit different as it was in odl cyberwars, but there is no way to find out how it was programmed, I tried to make it best possible. It was discussed here: http://www.duelboard.com/forum/index.php/topic,225.0.html

Adam

i am exaggerating a little bit and dont mean to sound like a sore loser but it is very possible for a probe to kill a commander with force armour... ive seen it happen or i wouldnt think it possible...

i understand that in the end its all a matter of luck but the luck favor seems to be the main point of this game, whereas cyberwars took a good amount of skill or a hell of a lot of luck

granted in cyberwars you could beam down 20% monsters at an actual rate of 50% which isnt very fair, but the way it is here i feel its way too much based on how lucky you are...

if you want i can try to contact andrew gower and ask him questions about how cyber wars was programmed and stuff like that? im not sure who programmed all of it but i know andrew was in charge of the castle...

Rob Gambino

Maybe you are just rusty and just maybe people have improved a little bit?

Adam

im definately rusty but skill has nothing to do with percentages...

matlu

Quote from: Adam on July 09, 2005, 04:45:13 PM
granted in cyberwars you could beam down 20% monsters at an actual rate of 50% which isnt very fair
Are you sure about that? It sounds VERY weird. Probability should change with alignment, and it really does, but at NEUTRAL alignment 20% monster should only have exactly 20% probability  ::)

Adam

it says 20 but when you play a lot this game seems like its 10... and the stats of monsters dont seem to effect  that much either...  in the old cyber wars a 20% beam down worked a lot more than 20% of the time so maybe its just getting used to actual percentages... but i think its lowered in this one...

Bakster

Quote from: Adam on July 11, 2005, 11:25:10 AM
it says 20 but when you play a lot this game seems like its 10... and the stats of monsters dont seem to effect  that much either...  in the old cyber wars a 20% beam down worked a lot more than 20% of the time so maybe its just getting used to actual percentages... but i think its lowered in this one...

Just because its 20% doesn't mean it's guaranteed to fail. If it worked a lot more than 1 fifth, then people were just lucky. It happens.

Adam

it works a lot less than 1 fifth is what im saying....

zzboots

Stop trying to beam 20% monsters.  Just because an action works 20 percent of the time does not mean that it is guaranteed to work one out of every five attempts.  If you flip a coin 100 times, it is still possible to have it land heads 100 times in a row.  It is just very unlikely.  The only guarantees in probability are 0 and 100 percent.
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo

Adam

the 20% is a low percent scenario... i get this stuff with 50 and 60 and sometimes even 90% beam downs...

zzboots

Quote from: Adam on July 12, 2005, 04:31:16 AM
the 20% is a low percent scenario... i get this stuff with 50 and 60 and sometimes even 90% beam downs...
Again, nothing is guranteed.  One person may beam all 90% every single time while you could fail it every single time.  If a 90 worked every time then it would be 100 percent. ;)
-William G. McAdoo

Adam

thats the problem im getting at sorta... it seems like the percents are going like that... 1 person gets all the successes of percents and others get failure parts of percents... i makes it even in general so i could see how it could happen and i dont know if this is what it is a total percent throughout everyone rather than per beamdown but this is what it seems like...

matlu

The server has only one random number generator, and it is used for al players and all games currentlyin progress. It is said to be very good random number generator, and I cannot get "more random" source...

zzboots

Also perhaps, that people are sending more holos than you realize.
-William G. McAdoo