• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Discussion

Started by BladeSabre, July 04, 2005, 09:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matlu

Quote from: T3h luggage on October 11, 2005, 10:17:05 PM
It looks fine...  What did you use to make it?  I've been wanting to get into 3-d modelling..
There exist many many 3d modelers, both free and extremely expensive. I think that very popular free one is Blender http://www.blender.org/ (but I never used it myself). There sure exist many other free modelers, but I'm not very familiar with such stuff, you should ask on some 3d modeling forum.
If you have loads of money (or if your conscience allows you to steal it) then very popular commercial are 3d Studio Max, or Lightwave.

Btw Teh_Luggage, if you had some time, I would very like you to try to create some textures for MUD game. If you look closely at the walls of building, you'll see that they are "wallpapered" with same repetitive pattern. It is simple bitmap, I'm currently using 32*64 pixels for one wall segment (I hope it's enough, if not I may switch to 64*128 later). One wall segment is exactly as big, as openings (doors) in the building. It would be nice to have such wall textures with windows or any other decorations (Look at runescape). It is also possible to create one bigger decoration, which will occupy 2 or more segments, for example you can draw one half of very big window on first texture, and second half on second texture, and it will be joined. I hope it is intuitively clear how it works, I'll post later some more detailed explanation with examples :)

T3h luggage

Thanks for the link,  I'll download it and try it when I get a chance...
In the meantime, here is my first attempt at a texture:  A brick wall.

matlu

Yes, that's how it should look like :) It will take several days till you see it in action, because at the moment I'm doing some major changes and I'm not able to produce a stable build.

BTW you should ask some expert about 3d software suitable for you. There are really many of them. For one I heard that Blender has hard to learn interface, but I cannot tell myself, never used it.

haferhole1

i got a program a while ago called hash animation master (hash.com), but its $300 if u wanted it.  i think amozon sells an old version of it for like 230 or somethin.  its a fantastic program, and im just now learning how 2 use it.  once i figure it out, i can probly help out with graphics if matlu decides to make a game with good graphics.  dont get me wrong, i love the exploding commander getting stomped on by an elefant, but it doesnt really compare to things like these

http://www.hash.com/imagecontest/Mar05/22.jpg
http://www.hash.com/imagecontest/Feb04/21.jpg

click my egg to get ur own

matlu

Quoteif matlu decides to make a game with good graphics.  dont get me wrong, i love the exploding commander getting stomped on by an elefant, but it doesnt really compare to things like these

due to certain limitations my game will never look like this. The game is meant to be played from web browser, and 3d graphics is rendered by my own software renderer (and not a hardware renderer). Data files have to have limited size. For these reasons the graphics has to be  very simple. It will probably look like slightly improved runescape 1. So it's not meant to be a game with good graphics, such effort would be doomed to fail from the beginning. Such games have to be created be team of professional programmers and artists.

Quotei figure it out, i can probly help out with graphics
sure, any graphics is welcome. I will need simple 3d models, and simple textures. Right now I cannot tell what exactly I need, but it will be ordinary items, mostly room furniture and decorations.
Btw such stuff takes some artistic talent ... it's not enough just to have good software :) It's like painting in real life - it's not enough to have good pencil or brush to become a picasso :)

Quotei got a program a while ago called hash animation master
it sure is great software, but there are many many other similar softwares. If you are comfortable using this particular one, then use it :)

The_Gu3st

OMFG!?! I cant find the 40 chickz0rs?!

The_Gu3st

This game is like hitlers perfect world. You are hitler, and all the chickz0rs are his "perfect humans". Oh well, atleast they are hott!

matlu

Quote from: The_Gu3st on October 17, 2005, 12:46:24 AM
OMFG!?! I cant find the 40 chickz0rs?!
ok, there was bug and all the chicks went to same place and stayed there so it was hard to find them. It was fixed soon after.

QuoteThis game is like hitlers perfect world. You are hitler, and all the chickz0rs are his "perfect humans". Oh well, atleast they are hott!

ehm, that's an interesting analogy. As soon as I get more suitable graphics the hitler's uniform world will turn into .. ehm... multi-cultural chaos

Bakster

Aargh! An army of evil 2D women are attacking me! And parts of the ground turned yellow and brown...

T3h luggage

Hm... I think I will have to enlarge to bricks, and make the tiling less evident.  But it's better than I thought it would be, at least on my first try.

Dodger

Nice new update.
One thing...The robots stop and stand in front of you when you attack them. But the girls carry on moveing aimlessly when you talk to them. It would be nice if they stopped to talk instead of running away from me  :-\ Maybe they all just hate me.

I love the questions.... "How did you get here?" -  "Matlu put me here"  :D lmao!

ultswordsman

u need a question  can i slap u with this axe on there
u dumbass guest that was easy to quest thanks to gut

matlu

QuoteOne thing...The robots stop and stand in front of you when you attack them. But the girls carry on moveing aimlessly when you talk to them. It would be nice if they stopped to talk instead of running away from me 

I know, I know. Such interactions are not yet finished. Similar problem is that you can also invoke "trade-with" even when you stand far away. It just needs more programming, I'll do it once there are no other important things to do

<edit> It's all "work in progress", I'm putting updates on web as soon as I finish some new feature. It was same with cyberwars, people who remember it do know that the early versions looked very weird :)

Dodger

Whooo...I like the walking. It's not bad animation. Ayyyy...when  was in there someone else came in! That's the first time I've seen that happen : )

Who was it??

StormLord

was me!

it's coming along real good, keep up the good work!