• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Discussion

Started by BladeSabre, July 04, 2005, 09:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T3h luggage

Quote from: god on July 18, 2005, 12:07:28 AM
Huge randomly generated world - no pre-made towns, quests etc... explore the vast world!

Terrain manipulation - ditches, mounds, channels etc...

Player built structures - let players make there own towns/villages

Dude, ther is already one Wurm Online.  There need not be another.
Seriously, with a large playerbase, maximum levels would spoil it.  All you have to do is make each level take more expierience than the last, not by a set number such as 100 but by a more complicated forumula (Don't I sound smart?  Also, you should be able to have multiple characters per account, instead of having like a billion passwords to memorise, and a lot of hassle.  It also boosts the number of people, if not players.

TheMcCool

Well, Ultima Online had quite a huge world, and you were able to buy house deeds. I think there was a limit to the number of houses each player could own. There was a range of choices... you could have anything from a tent, to a castle. Once you found a suitable empty space, you could place the deed, and poof there's your house. You got a house key, and you could lock it. Players were able to craft furniture and lockable chests that you could lock down on your property. Big player-run towns existed, some with rulers. It was possible to build yourself a kingdom and rule large areas of land, but it was basically all player-run, and only meant something because of the great pvp system, and guild systems. There was also plenty of opportunity for thieves to rob and plunder property, but if you were smart, you could prevent it.
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.
-The very available Song Flower

(Please Copy and Paste This In Your Profile Wink) <<i dont see the point.  Huh

matlu

hmmm, seems interesting, I have to try Ultima Online. I read that there are still some "emulated" server, even some open source. Not sure where to get the client from. Anybody knows? Is one expected to buy it or what?

god

to keep control of your house/village use NPC guards which auto attack and doors with locks

matlu

Ok. Right. I like it. So: the game will be something between UO and RS1. Probably UO with RS1 graphics.

BTW I'd like to see UO in action. I already found out that there are many active servers, some of them open-source, anybody can suggest me where to get a client?

god

RS type clone with no pre made towns. players would have to work togethor more. eg. they would need to build a blacksmith to increase there smithing.

havn't played UO. but i read you need building permit. i'd make it so you can build anywhere for free.

TheMcCool

I haven't been into UO emulation for a long time, but I know that UO itself is downloadable for free, legally. I don't know what the current standard in emulation is. Probably RunUO, for the server, and Razor for the client. Shouldn't be too hard to google it all.
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.

matlu

QuoteI haven't been into UO emulation for a long time, but I know that UO itself is downloadable for free, legally.
I downloaded full cd "UO Age of Shadows 15 days trial". Did not manage to get it working yet. I did not install it yet, but I tried to create an account on their web page and it asks for "product registration code", so I wonder if it's going to work.

<edit> It's probably not possible to play on official server, only on those emulated. Anyway, I did not manage to get it working yet.

Quote from: TheMcCool on July 20, 2005, 06:40:31 AM
I don't know what the current standard in emulation is. Probably RunUO, for the server, and Razor for the client. Shouldn't be too hard to google it all.
This emulation stuff seems to be extremely complicated. I downloaded sources and binaries of RunUO, I did not manage to get it working, but the sources seem very interesting and inspiring. They will help a lot.
There is also some emulator called "sphere", not sure how exactly it works but it seems to be quite popular (and closed-source)

btw I also read an opinion on some forum, that RS is just UO's clone (or rip-off), with far less features. Pretty possible that Jagex was strongly inspired by it.

Parsley

Of course.  RS is very much a UO clone. 

Although saying that, UO was extremely derivative of the whole MUD/MOO genre - that is, neither RS nor UO are original in the slightest.

Please, please make something original.

If it's not original, at least make it funny.

If any of the following terms crop up in your next game, I'll slap you:

Fishing
Magic Missile
[Weapon name] +1
Camp
Mining

matlu

QuoteFishing
Magic Missile
[Weapon name] +1
Camp
Mining

uh, I'm afraid it's sort of hard to avoid these terms in rpg game :) Especially [weapon name] +X is my favourite and it will surely appear :)

TheMcCool

UO may not have been original, but it was fun as hell, while RS was crap. The most you can say that RS copied was general concepts and ideas. If the actual gameplay systems were similar then I wouldn't have quit RS.

Well, I guess what I myself thought was most fun about UO was the thievery, pking, and tricking people. I've never been satisfied with any other game's implementation of thievery/pickpocketing. But then again- those things wouldn't be as fun for me without lots of stupid people as are always found in MMORPGS, since I am usually a nice guy even when trying to roleplay a mean character (one of my main characters was a bandit, and I led a small thieves guild for a while.) Fond memories of messing with the [TURKS] guild (not the turks from FF7... they were really all Turkish,) and people calling for "gurds".

Also the whole ghost thing was funny. When someone died they would leave a corpse with all their stuff on it, lootable (not ALL your stuff - there was a bank account you could store stuff in, as well as your house if you owned one,) and they would run around as a ghost until an npc healer or a player ressurected them. All their speech was seen as OoOOo Oo ooo oOoO by alive players. You could only see what they were really saying if you were a ghost too, or if you trained and activated your Spirit Speak skill. What made it so funny was that usually they'd be cursing you out or something, and all you'd see was Oooo oOo, etc. Sailing ships around was fun too.

matlu

it's good to have experienced mmorpg players here, please stay around, your ideas will be very valuable.

I finally managed to run ultima online server emulator on my computer. (Only for me to see how it looks like, I don't want to make another public shard, there are too many of them already :) ) Not very funny when you are single player connected :) But it looks very nice.

The_Gu3st

Hey, whatever happened to the first page of this? Or is that the first actual page?

matlu

not sure what you mean, this topic already has 4 pages, and it was split from README topic.

The_Gu3st

Yeah, i was wrong, i was thinking about the README topic. sorry.