• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Discussion 2

Started by T3h luggage, July 16, 2005, 12:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T3h luggage

OK, to say my opinion:
    I say it should be a fantasy game for 2 reasons.  1: I'm much better at fantasy-style graphics than sci-fi.  I've had practice. (http://tibia.gamigo.de/forum/showthread.php?t=81865&page=1  look through all 3 pages.  If you wanna use something from there, just tell me. (remember, I may use my graphics for my project as well, but that won't be a problem for months if ever.)
   Remember, Hack and slash is cool.  I must say though, It would be better with a system other than Runescapes.  Perhaps more like Tibia's, with more room for strategy. (Yes, I am bias towards Tibia.)
Nice job on the game so far, though.  I'm flattered to see you're using the sentry robot as the character.

matlu

Quote  I say it should be a fantasy game
I'm also leaning towards fantasy. It would be really hard to create sci-fi world with such simple 3d graphics. Fantasy should be a bit easier.

QuoteIf you wanna use something from there, just tell me. (remember, I may use my graphics for my project as well, but that won't be a problem for months if ever.)
Thank you. I will ask later, right now the graphics is not a priority. And I definitelly don't mind if you use the graphics elsewhere.

QuotePerhaps more like Tibia's, with more room for strategy. (Yes, I am bias towards Tibia.)
Weeeeell, I'm going to download Tibia, and maybe get a bit inspired with the gameplay :)

Bakster

Download games don't work for me. My computer doesn't support 3D graphics of this caliber.

Maple Story is a download game I tried. I forgot the url, so try maplestory.com, and then google it if you want to try :P

BladeSabre

Sci-fi might be easier than fantasy in 3D actually - because it can look OK if you make everything have corners and sharp edges. And if everyone flies around in spaceships, you don't have to draw people ;P It's also OK to have 2D scenes in a 3D game, so the bits where people come out of their spaceships could even be 2D.

TheMcCool

That's a cool idea. Space Cowboy RPG. You could buy upgrades for your ship, buy new ships, and stuff. And have spaceports you could dock at with 2d bars and saloons you could hang out at.
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.
-The very available Song Flower

(Please Copy and Paste This In Your Profile Wink) <<i dont see the point.  Huh

Parsley

I reckon, an insanely complicated version of Magic: The Gathering.

Where you have a million and one modifiers...

Walk in to battle from the East (+1 to all ice, -3 to all fire)
Walk in to battle from the West (all dragon types fight with lycanthropy)
Play earth first (all lycanthropy changes to neomancy)
etc...

Could be fun.

T3h luggage

Quote from: Parsley on July 18, 2005, 05:03:09 PM
I reckon, an insanely complicated version of Magic: The Gathering.

Where you have a million and one modifiers...

Walk in to battle from the East (+1 to all ice, -3 to all fire)
Walk in to battle from the West (all dragon types fight with lycanthropy)
Play earth first (all lycanthropy changes to neomancy)
etc...

Could be fun.
Nev4r!
Really, though, that doesn't sound all that cool.  Lycantropy is the disease that causes were-wolfism.  Not to flame or something...

Parsley

Fine...

How about an RPG with the CyberBattles combat system?

You start off with, say, just a single mech/alien/neutral unit (player's choice).

Quests involve battling NPCs at CyberBattles.

As you complete quests you gain access to more & better units.

So you can design your 'deck' as it were in order to compete against more difficult quests & other players.

matlu

I want to have mmorpg, in principle similar to Runescape, Ultima Online and other similar games. It means: there will be big world, where you see your character, you can see other players in real time, and interact with them in real time.

Many such games have some small game "built-in" inside, for example in UO you can play backgammon with other players. This is ok. Players could also play game similar to cyberbattles, I see no problem about it - but only extra feature, not as dominant or mandator part of whole game.

Especially I don't think it's possible / desirable / good idea to have something turn-based as dominant part of such massively multiplayer game. I really cannot imagine how could it work.

T3h luggage

Quote from: Parsley on August 23, 2005, 02:43:17 PM
Fine...

How about an RPG with the CyberBattles combat system?

You start off with, say, just a single mech/alien/neutral unit (player's choice).

Quests involve battling NPCs at CyberBattles.

As you complete quests you gain access to more & better units.

So you can design your 'deck' as it were in order to compete against more difficult quests & other players.

I agree with matlu.  I can see that you are thinking outside of the box, and coming up with origional ideas for the game.  That's good, but most of us are content to stay in the box for the time being.  A game like you propose could be wildly succesful and origional, but it could fail badly as well.  In the box, there is some level of security. 
At least that's what I think.  It could be that we all just fear change.

matlu

I would no mind to get outside of the box, but I just cannot imagine how could "massively multiplayer" and "turn based" work together

tiraspol

Gunbound.

www.gunbound.net

matlu

Quote from: tiraspol on August 23, 2005, 10:20:07 PM
Gunbound.

www.gunbound.net

I had a quick peek. As far as I can tell it's not what I mean by "massively multiplayer". It's just normal multiplayer game with lobby where you create / join a game. I don't know how many players can join a game, but I pressume that it's around 10. It's not "massive".

Parsley

QuoteA game like you propose could be wildly succesful and origional, but it could fail badly as well.  In the box, there is some level of security. 

Security in what?  A standard game will have difficulty attracting a significant player base.  The market is becoming very saturated with this type of isometric mmorpg.  Differentiation is an absolute Must nowadays - and not just in terms of in-game design - I'm talking about fundamentals. 

Real time world with turn based battles?

I (personally) think that CB in an online game is following a growing trend of separation between real time and action elements.  Just look at the most successful independent game of this year (adventure quest @ battleon.com) and they have successfully separated the 'travel/buy/trade/chat/etc.' aspects from the actual fight itself.

And they've made a fuck load of cash through some canny marketing, which I'd be happy to advise on @ a later date.

matlu

I never played battleon nor adventure quest before. Right now I tried battleon for few minutes. Well: to me it seems quite dull. And it's not even multiplayer. You don't see other players, you cannot interact with them (maybe it's possible in later stages of game, but I did not get so far). I think that this game is succesfull because somebody pumped loads of money into it and paid artists who painted all that cute monsters etc. It also seems to be aimed at very young people of average intelligence. I doubt that somebody older than 15 - 17 would play it for longer time.
I want to make really massive multiplayer game, where you see other players, and can interact with them.