• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

registering nicknames...

Started by matlu, March 28, 2005, 09:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matlu

Ehm, and I'd like to ask everybody to NOT register too many nicks for single person (this goes especially to Brian).

I don't want to make such strong restrictions as RS has (that 2 nicks from same IP are basically considered as cheating). I think that people should be allowed to have more nicknames if they want. But I believe that anybody CAN be happy having 2 or 3 nicks at most. Definitelly 10 is sort of too much. I hope that everybody agrees and finds it reasonable.

Odin

From the rs rules (at least how I read it, which also was a LONG time ago - about 2001), it said that you could have more than one username, but they weren't allowed to help each other (such as transferring items such as Rune over from your high level username to a "newbie name", or "newb killer" as they were commonly called. I did it anyway, since they could hardly care less about me. Was a persistent belief among high levels that the newbies were a cause of rs going downhill. They later on forced you to be 40 attack to equip a rune weapon and 40 defense to equip rune armor). They also said they owned your account at all times and could terminate it at will (members was slightly different, though not much), so they could ban you anyway for no reason if they wanted. Somewhat offtopic, but I wasn't the one who first brought rs up in this conversation. :)
"You are neither right nor wrong because the crowd disagrees with you, you are right because your data and reasoning are right."
-- Benjamin Graham

matlu

Ok, but I still don't think that anybody may need 10 nicks

TheMcCool

Let us have 4 or 5 nicks max. 2 or 3 for normal use and 1 or 2 secret superhero identities.
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.
-The very available Song Flower

(Please Copy and Paste This In Your Profile Wink) <<i dont see the point.  Huh

matlu

Quote from: zzboots on March 29, 2005, 01:26:54 AM
Along these lines, will you be implimenting a rule were only one name from each IP can be logged in?  Or even better, allow multiple logins but when multiple names from one ip tries to join a game, it becomes non rated. (This is how the original castle was.)  It allowed you to play multiple games at once. (A favorite feature of mine.)   All in due time, eh?
yes, definitelly I want to have this feature, otherwise the score would be useless, it would be too easy to cheat. Ehm, exactly, in due time :)

TheMcCool

Glad to hear that Matlu, it's a definate must. I think you should hold off on putting in the point/rating system until you have this anti-cheat measure in place. It's sad that people would cheat in a game like this, but there are alot of sad people. As unlikely as it seems, we already have impersonators and such... lol
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.
-The very available Song Flower

(Please Copy and Paste This In Your Profile Wink) <<i dont see the point.  Huh

BladeSabre

Quote from: matlu
Along these lines, will you be implimenting a rule were only one name from each IP can be logged in?  Or even better, allow multiple logins but when multiple names from one ip tries to join a game, it becomes non rated. (This is how the original castle was.)  It allowed you to play multiple games at once. (A favorite feature of mine.)   All in due time, eh?
yes, definitelly I want to have this feature, otherwise the score would be useless, it would be too easy to cheat. Ehm, exactly, in due time :)

There was a problem with that system, in that the host then loses control over whether the game is rated. Sometimes I was trying to host a rated game and people from the same IP kept insisting on joining. I think it would be better if the system just didn't allow more than one person per IP to join the same rated game.

matlu

Quote from: zzboots on April 06, 2005, 11:04:06 PM
I like playing multiple games at once.  ;)  The easy way to fix this is to make it were the second name cannot join rated games.  The game would have to be set on nonrated before the person could bring in their second charater. 
yes, I will do it this way

BladeSabre

That's what I meant, if I understand it right. A player can log in under two names at the same time, but he/she can't join the same game with both names, unless the game is non-rated.

In a non-rated game, it would be nice to be able to see if two names from the same IP were playing.