• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

RPG ideas 4 Mat

Started by Parsley, November 22, 2005, 01:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parsley

Matlu's hunting for ideas for his RPG... jam some down.

Here's my 2c

I used to play this game called Moria.  Could translate fairly well into an MMORPG.

First, you choose a standard D&D character.  You then start in the 'overworld' level - a small town, with a variety of shops, and a few random denizens. 

All other levels are dungeon levels (from 1-1000).  The deeper in the dungeon you go, the tougher the monsters, until you faced 'the balrog' on level 1000... You pop back up to town with town portal scrolls (ala Diablo).

(+ Moving between levels will let you incorporate a separate load time, essentially compartmentalising each segment & allowing for larger builds.)

You could probably find an example of the game online - may require an amiga emulator - it's essentially a modernised version of Rogue.

Random ideas -
- Newbies start in town & fight their way down.
- At level 50 the areas could become PVP
- PVPs attacked on sight in town (making the town a newbie area)?
- so probably add few random shops within the lower dungeons
- Below lvl 50 characters could 'mine' walls, reinforce walls, buy doors, chests and so forth, in order to build their own little underground communities.
- Perhaps you could have 'race' areas, where people of similar races in lower levels can build these communities - and outside of them are race-PVP areas (i.e. dwarf can attack anything but dwarf)

Bakster

That's kinda like Phantasia

It works in coordinates, so the further you go from the origin (0,0), the tougher the monsters. Every 90 steps or so, the "Size" level increases and the monsters are tougher. You start fighting "boss" monsters as your level increases, and there are a few sidequests.

TheMcCool

I think a big part of what makes online persistent world games fun or not fun is how the PC's affect and relate to each other. One of the most simple solutions to "making things interesting" would be to have existing factions within the game that are "officially" at war or somehow economically or territorially competing with each other. These could be different cities, that a PC would choose to start in and have the option of gaining rank and status with by completing faction quests, sabotaging/killing the enemy factions, etc. Or a PC could choose to not directly involve themself with one of these city's affairs, and join say a Thieve's Guild or a Mage's Guild, who would have their own goals either relating to the overall conflict or indifferent to it.
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.
-The very available Song Flower

(Please Copy and Paste This In Your Profile Wink) <<i dont see the point.  Huh

Allister

that is practically the sheer definition of Morrowind :-\

Trigger

Many people have said that an Elder Scrolls mmo would be really fun.

T3h luggage

Quote from: Trigger on February 14, 2006, 12:19:55 AM
Many people have said that an Elder Scrolls mmo would be really fun.
indeed, that was my only problem with the game:  no multiplayer.  Then again, I enjoyed Daggerfall more than Morrowind, but that's beside the point.

The_Gu3st

Quote from: T3h luggage on February 16, 2006, 05:02:09 AM
indeed, that was my only problem with the game:  no multiplayer.  Then again, I enjoyed Daggerfall more than Morrowind, but that's beside the point.

I think matlu quit on this game because he doesnt have graphcs for it.

If you ever need anything matlu, lemme know.

matlu

Hm, the only thing I need now is some good 3d artist. Haven't found one yet :(

I did almost everything a programmer could do. There is not much work left for programmer.

Dodger

Can you post the base graphics that you have made so that people can touch them up?

matlu

QuoteCan you post the base graphics that you have made so that people can touch them up?

Two things are needed:

- static 3d graphics (like furniture, trees, different kinds of decorations etc). Awlmost anyone with very little talent can do such graphics, in almost any 3d software.

- animated 3d monsters and characters. This has to be done in 3ds max, version 5 is sufficient, version 8 is optimal. It's not that easy, it requires some knowledge and talent.

Parsley

How about: 'AbstractRPG'

Kinda like Kandinsky meets UO.

matlu

Nice idea, however when I think about it in terms of needed 3d models and textures - it still needs a good artist to make it.

flamingdragon

Are u still working on this Matlu?
If not, why?

I think its pretty good.
Adun Toridas, Executor.

Dodger

;D I like that one. Nice pic.