• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Castle GamesDomain rocked

Started by Hawk, March 19, 2005, 11:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Hey guys, yesterday I did a huge search on any ressurection of the wonderful CGD and found this.  Awesome site I must say, the replica game is great!  My username was Rainbow Hawk, and in memory I chose the same name here.

Can I ask if there was any reply from Jagex about removing it?

matlu

Thank you very much. I really wonder how do people find this site, because it's not yet advertised in no way :)  It's not even registered on google yet.

To anser your question, please read this (written by zzboots):
For anyone whoever played Castle Gamesdomain, I have some dissappointing news that you may or may not have already heard. A few months back, Yahoo bought gamesdomain.com and decided to cut the game. Anyone who never played, Castle was an ealier Jagex multiplayer board games created by Andrew. I know that it pretty much died when rs came out, but up till the day it was deleted off the site there was still a decent fan base for lack of care on the game. In particular, the game Cyber Wars was a popular favorite. I started playing a few months before rs came out, and again picked it up last summer. With the limited number of players that I was able to keep contact after the game was deleted by Yahoo, I have found an overwhelming support to save the game. When I contacted Jagex about the game, they were less than enthusiastic about helping me. They said that they would license the game for $5000 a year and refused to host it themselves

I will do my best to make even better game, than CW was (it will take some time thoug, so please be patient. Currently it is in alpha-status, many features missing, and not very stable, the server crashes from time to time :) )

BlitzJoker

My site is listed in google(for free).....and duelboard is linked to in size 7 font on my homepage. I guess if people really searched for a while they could find mine, and then be brought here, although the chances of even finding my site are slim.

Sheep

im still awaiting possible button, do you want me to just design one myself for my page (http://www.angelfire.com/linux/blacksheep)?

And of course it rocked, why else would this site exist?

matlu

Quote from: BlitzJoker on March 20, 2005, 05:57:44 AM
My site is listed in google(for free).....and duelboard is linked to in size 7 font on my homepage. I guess if people really searched for a while they could find mine, and then be brought here, although the chances of even finding my site are slim.
Yes, I see. I did not registered my site on google yet - because I don't think it would be good to get too many visitors right now. The game is really not yet stable, crashes from time to time and I'm afraid that it could disappoint the people, and they would never come back. Also I need to restard the game quite often (when I update new version), and this stops all g ames currently in progress.
Not sure if my point of view is correct.

Sheep

hey matlu, you could try putting a notice on the front page about the instability part, they would probally understand. i for one havent every crashed (although i did accidently hit backspace a few times without clicking in the chat box and I got sent back a few pages and lost the game) I know lots of people who would love to play this game.

matlu

Quote from: Sheep on March 21, 2005, 07:43:55 AM
hey matlu, you could try putting a notice on the front page about the instability part, they would probally understand. i for one havent every crashed (although i did accidently hit backspace a few times without clicking in the chat box and I got sent back a few pages and lost the game) I know lots of people who would love to play this game.

More people already complained about hitting backspace (it once happened also to me:) )  I don't think that I can do anything about it, it's matter of browser. Probable had to happen also in old cw.

Ok, if you know the people who would play, let them know. I will make big notice on the page, that it is under development and whatever may happen :) Anyway it's probably good to have more people to test the game, the bugs will be found faster, and the game also needs some stress-test (if it can handle many players online).

Ska*monkey

I think it would be best to keep this game limited to a few enthusiastic Cyber Wars fans for the time being. Partly because of the reasons Matlu already mentioned, but partly because of legal issues... still using some original graphics etc. Also, if only a few people play who really knew the old game then this version is likely to get refined quite quickly.

Sheep

Quote from: matlu on March 21, 2005, 11:45:10 AM
Quote from: Sheep on March 21, 2005, 07:43:55 AM

More people already complained about hitting backspace (it once happened also to me:) )  I don't think that I can do anything about it, it's matter of browser. Probable had to happen also in old cw.

Ok, if you know the people who would play, let them know. I will make big notice on the page, that it is under development and whatever may happen :) Anyway it's probably good to have more people to test the game, the bugs will be found faster, and the game also needs some stress-test (if it can handle many players online).

K, I will.