• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

European History

Started by MathWiz20, May 05, 2006, 11:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MathWiz20

You may be wondering why I asked the question twice: is the country called England or Great Britian?

Well the answer is I'm taking a European History course, and here in America we always think that the words "England" and "Great Britian" are interchangeable.  Perhaps they are not, and I am SINCERELY curious as to the opinion of someone who lives there, why the country has two names and which is more common.

Therefore, GUEST YOU MAY NOT ANSWER, NOR LOG ON TO DODGER'S NAME AND ANSWER FOR HIM, YOUR CURSING ME OFF WAS WHAT GOT THE QUESTION AND ANSWER THREAD DELETED!!!  Like I said, I am sincerely curious about the answer to this question, as an American I'd like a different perspective.

So, to Dodger or Bakster, I'd appreciate a sincere response, even if you think this is a stupid question.  If someone asked you where you're from, would you say "England" or "Great Britian"?  And, would you refer to yourselves as "English" or "British"?

I also highly doubt that Dodger and Bakster are the only ones from the country, so I would appreciate a response from anyone who lives there who I failed to realize does live there.  Thank you for your cooperation, and DO NOT SPAM THIS!!!
I am a firm believer that the integral of e^x = f(u)^n, or, in mathematical notation: sex = fun.

The_Gu3st

I LIKE TO TYPE SOME RANDOM SENTENCES IN CAPS TOO.

SPAM [INSERT MANY EXCLAMATION MARKS HERE]

CrazyHazy

Hey there chap,

I'm from England and I have no idea what you are talking about. Your question really doesn't make much sense, nor do I think it matters.

Sorry sport, but that's a bloody stupid question.

Greets,
Hazy
C  ~       Perfect Assasins
R    ~
A      ~
Z        ~          The
Y          ~ >---Sabre---> 
H        ~        Killers
A      ~
Z    ~
Y  ~

The_Gu3st

Ahaha, lmao.

Booyah, I WIN AND THIS SENTENCE IS IN CAPS FOR NO REASON.

Spam.

Bakster

This is probably wrong, but:

Great Britain is the name of the big island that has Scotland, England and Wales.

England is a country in Great Britain, the country which makes up the majority of the island.

MathWiz20

Thank you Bakster.

Guest you're an a**hole.
I am a firm believer that the integral of e^x = f(u)^n, or, in mathematical notation: sex = fun.

Coke_Can

hey hey now.. no cussing.. yesh

Logan17

Ahem Bakster.

Great Britian refers to England, Wales, Scotland AND Northern Ireland.  Although I get the impression the government would rather do without the hassle of trying to manage Northern Ireland politics.  Who can blame them I guess.  MathWhizz Ireland is a separate country alltogether.  Most Amercians never come across this fact.

Great britain is interchangeable with The UK.  Like Bakster says England and the rest are countries in GB or the UK.

Bakster

I knew UK was England, Wales, Scotland and N Ireland...wasn't completely sure about the definition of Great Britain ;)

Dodger

Great Britain, or simply Britain refers to the countries : England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Island.

England is obviously a country in Great Britain.

I refer to myself as English, but I can be called Brittish.

The_Gu3st

Quote from: MathWiz20 on May 06, 2006, 12:01:01 AM
Guest you're an a**hole.

Haha, you know I was just messing around  :-*

And CrazyHazy is one cool fella.

The_Gu3st

Math, I suggest you check this link out:

Britain for Dummies

I have no idea why DUMMIES looks like that. Must be something to do with you?  ???

MathWiz20

Thank you all for clarification, I appreciate it highly--took my AP Euro Test today lol.

I learned something I didn't know before, that's all that's important to me.

And to The Guest: I typed in capital letters to make sure you'd see the message, hoping you'd actually LISTEN to it.  Apparently that didn't work, so next time I'll boldify it too, that is if boldify is a real word...but you get the idea ;)

The_Gu3st

Haha lol.

I had my AP World test wedneday, and I have AP bio on monday  :-\