• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Civilisation

Started by Parsley, April 08, 2005, 02:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parsley

Open sourcecode for the original civilisation is tucked away in here:

http://old.freeciv.org/

Map editor: http://old.freeciv.org/civworld/
Multiplayer discussion forum: http://forum.freeciv.org/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=fe7757c86851a4ee5cee3c03c5aa8e5e

Even if it takes about 5-10mins to load up on java, would be an impressive addition to the 'castle' portfolio.

matlu

QuoteOpen sourcecode for the original civilisation is tucked away in here: http://old.freeciv.org/
Map editor: http://old.freeciv.org/civworld/
Multiplayer discussion forum: http://forum.freeciv.org/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=fe7757c86851a4ee5cee3c03c5aa8e5e
It's not "original" civilisation, it's just remake which tries to look similar.

Quote from: Parsley on April 08, 2005, 02:22:03 PM

Even if it takes about 5-10mins to load up on java, would be an impressive addition to the 'castle' portfolio.

hm, it would sure take less than 5 mins. And it could also use same approach as runescape (load data only once). Well I think that this game is in principle similar to "cyber battles" (I'm mean from technical side, not the gameplay). There is only one difference, it has big scrollable world. Anyway it should not be too hard to do. Only problem is - time. I really want to finish "cyber battles", and then do checkers, go-moku, and perhaps also reversi. Then I can think about it.  (Although I also have an idea of creating some massive multiplayer rpg similar to RS).

Parsley

Yeah, slip of the keyboard on the 'original'.

But it would be a beauty of an addition to the ranks.

Would certainly bring in plenty of old skool gamers.

Imho.

For the RS style game, take a look at Moria 5.4 (rogue clone) or possibly Zerg/UOE (ultima online, but using the 2d Ultima 7 engine, rather than isometric).

matlu

Quote from: Parsley on April 08, 2005, 03:18:19 PM
Yeah, slip of the keyboard on the 'original'.

But it would be a beauty of an addition to the ranks.

Would certainly bring in plenty of old skool gamers.

Imho.

I'm not saying that I won't make something like civilization once, but I don't think that I could start working on it very soon. I still have things to do for months

QuoteFor the RS style game, take a look at Moria 5.4 (rogue clone) or possibly Zerg/UOE (ultima online, but using the 2d Ultima 7 engine, rather than isometric).

nah, it will be 3d :)  Anyway Rogue/Moria are great games.

Parsley

Moria (v4.+) multiplayer would be outrageous; so would civ.

Be careful on the 3d RTS tho - most of those projects become too open-ended and time consuming - make sure you get all the game design down to pat before sitting down to programme it (I would suggest perhaps stealing the game design from a popular MUD - perhaps bat (www.bat.org) or avalon).

matlu

Quote from: Parsley on April 08, 2005, 04:02:25 PM
Moria (v4.+) multiplayer would be outrageous; so would civ.

Again, I never played "Crypt" from gamesdomain, I only saw screenshots. But wasn't it basically Rogue/Moria with fake isometric 3d?

Online multiplayer Civ clone could be really interesting, and I think I could make it. If I find time for it.

Be careful on the 3d RTS tho - most of those projects become too open-ended and time consuming - make sure you get all the game design down to pat before sitting down to programme it (I would suggest perhaps stealing the game design from a popular MUD - perhaps bat (www.bat.org) or avalon).

ehm, thanks for warning :) In fact I already have almost-finished java 3d engine, and I have running "something like a game", although it's not playable (it's possible to move your characters and pick-up/drop objects, nothing else). I stopped this project last summer, but I would like to continue with it as soon as possible (after I finish "cyber batles" + few other simplier multiplayer games)

Regarding game-design: I have no idea yet, definitely I will have to be inspired, perhaps by muds as you suggest (I don't know "bat", I used to play "midnight sun"). And probably also cummunity will be able to provide me with ideas

Parsley

Sounds good!

Never really played Crypt myself.  Don't think it was anything like Moria, except for the fact that both took place in dungeons...  But yeah, if you've got your engine ready for a 3d game, then def. go for it.

My suggestion would be... hmmm...

PVP only MMORPG, with permadeath.
You start, choose char & get given a random wep & cash, then get put inside a newbie arena.

Fight other newbies, team up, whatever - and basically avoid dying in order to get to the next arena, where there are slightly higher level characters who have all also survived the newbie arena (with whatever random weps they acquired off killing other newbies, and what they buy at the transition period).

Could be amusing.

zzboots

Quote from: matlu on April 08, 2005, 02:54:43 PM
(Although I also have an idea of creating some massive multiplayer rpg similar to RS).

:-\ ...   :-\ ...   :-\ ...

RUN!!!!!!!!!
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo

matlu

Quote from: zzboots on April 09, 2005, 02:19:04 AM
:-\ ...   :-\ ...   :-\ ...
RUN!!!!!!!!!
hey, what's wrong with you? Please explain  :)

zzboots

Quote from: matlu on April 09, 2005, 10:07:46 AM
hey, what's wrong with you? Please explain  :)

Well let's just say a certain programmer used to try making fun games, but then got corrupted and turned into a greedy plastard.  ;)
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo

matlu

Quote from: zzboots on April 09, 2005, 07:31:14 PM
Well let's just say a certain programmer used to try making fun games, but then got corrupted and turned into a greedy plastard.  ;)

Ehm, possibly I'll also turn into a greedy bastard  ;)  But if you are afraid, that I would eventually shutdown Cyber Battles, in favor of some other game, then: no, I promise you to keep it up, as long as people will want to play it.

flamingdragon

Quote from: Parsley on April 08, 2005, 05:00:11 PM

Never really played Crypt myself.  Don't think it was anything like Moria, except for the fact that both took place in dungeons...  But yeah, if you've got your engine ready for a 3d game, then def. go for it.

cyrpt wasnt in a dungeon. it was outside.
Adun Toridas, Executor.

matlu

Quote from: flamingdragon on April 13, 2005, 05:25:22 PM
cyrpt wasnt in a dungeon. it was outside.

It's not important where is the game situated. Even if it was situated to the moon, it still can be "same" game (I mean with same gameplay)