• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Language Filter

Started by Hawk, April 09, 2005, 06:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matlu

1. I'm not american (and I'm not alone)
2. It has nothing to do with freedom. It has something to do with (lack of) intelect.
3. I agree, it's just a word. I personally would not mind. But I know that there are people who would mind, and it could hurt my game and its reputation, and THIS makes me concerned, and THAT'S why I will fight it. So please keep such words for people who are interested in them. We don't need to hear them (we already know them). If somebody thinks that it's cool to have at least one 'f*ck' in each sentence then he's either too young, or too stupid (or both). No offence.

Kiz

The constitutional right for freedom of speech only mentions barring the government from censoring, not autonomous private parties.
So you see, that line of argument wouldn't work even if this site and its owner were bound under American laws.

If you don't want to abide by the rules of in-game conduct then tough luck.

exiledragon

Quote from: skin on June 25, 2005, 12:00:12 AM
you know its pretty sad that most of us as americans want to be censored... i mean its a freedom we have to say what we want... i just think its sad that people get that mad over one word... get over it.. i mean your gonna hear fukc all the time... its just a word

that is so funny! whenever somone plays you , you act like a 4 year old with a large vocabulary of swear words
Game user name = AnkleBiter
Calling somone overconfident/unskilled when you are losing is NOT good timing.
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript order of the stick

Bakster

I guess you guys aren't fans of Ozzy Osbourne 8)

matlu

Quote from: Bakster on June 25, 2005, 03:56:18 PM
I guess you guys aren't fans of Ozzy Osbourne 8)

You know, some people are interested in what Ozzy says, but I'm REALLY not interested when somebody comes to my game and starts swearing.

and just by the way, I'm big Ozzy Osbourne's fan, I have all his cds, I was on his live concert. He is in Prague next week, and I'll be probably there  ;D

OJMcduffie

You know, if you feel the need to use language like that, feel free. Scream it at the top of your lungs. Just don't expose US to it.  Or, if you don't want to yell, kick something.  That's what I do.  I broke my brother's desk while playing Cyber Battles.

Hey, he hasn't noticed the elmer's glue YET...

Parsley

I think we're also missing an obvious issue - this game is going to be played by minors. 

I don't want young children to be verbally abused, and wholeheartedly support any efforts by Matlu to prevent this.

I would go so far as to say that a restriction on speech privileges should be imposed on an ad-hoc basis. 

That is, there should be a facility so that if someone is a serial swearing monkey, a screenshot can be taken as evidence, and that person should have a permanent ban imposed on their chat function.

Prince_Death

yes exactly...in gd you could say whatever u want...til u got caught..then u got banned for like 5 minutes..so what?

TheMcCool

There should be a chat filter that you can switch on or off before logging in, or in-game with a command (but On by default.) There doesn't need to be any rules about swearing, that would suffice. BUT, if people try and bypass that filter by saying stuff like Fu_^__^_qck, then they should be warned once, and then banned or deleted. The /report command works right? That sends a log of the past feww minutes or something, to matlu's computer?

I think this is the best way to handle it.
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.
-The very available Song Flower

(Please Copy and Paste This In Your Profile Wink) <<i dont see the point.  Huh

anima

I dont think theres anything wrong with the word. I mean, it is an amzing word. So much versatility and i believe people should be able to truthly express themselves. As for lack of intelligence, i disagree, im sure just as many 'intelligent' people use it.

However, the offensive part is the context and the way it is used. e.g. aggressively or just dam right immaturely. Racist remarks should definetly be filtered there is no place for such behaviour >:(

Anyone with further interest in the subject, just take a look at this. You may have already seen it....oh well F*CK it.

>>>>>>>>>>>http://www.funnyjunk.com/pages/history.htm<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

matlu

I don't care if you consider it "versatile", "amazing" or whatever else, I consider it "inappropiate"

anima

Quote from: matlu on September 04, 2005, 07:21:15 PM
I don't care if you consider it "versatile", "amazing" or whatever else, I consider it "inappropiate"

If you read the post, i did say there was no need for it. People use it aggressively and yes, inappropriately. However, i just saying that there was no need to dismiss the word as: "something to do with (lack of) intelect."

matlu

Quote from: anima on September 04, 2005, 09:20:20 PM
If you read the post, i did say there was no need for it. People use it aggressively and yes, inappropriately. However, i just saying that there was no need to dismiss the word as: "something to do with (lack of) intelect."

I believe it has something to do with intelect and education, at least in AVERAGE. I know what I'm talking about, today I travelled whole night in a train with few workers  ;) Of course there are exceptions on *both* sides. But there sure is some correlation.

anima

lol ok, ok. I KINDA see where you're coming from. But, im not gunna fully agree...after all, we all have our own opinions ;)

But, answer me this, why do you have a display pic of Che Guevara? Its always bothered me :D He may have been a revolutionist, but violence is wrong. Now, Ghandi is a true hero!

matlu

uh, Guevara as avatar bothers you? :)  It's good you cannot see what is on my t-shirt and on my wall  :D