• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Disappointment in this game, in the players, and in Matlu

Started by poison_ivy, June 01, 2006, 02:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poison_ivy

I'd like to start off by saying that I appreciate Matlu's hard work into building this site.  However, I'd just like to address a few problems with the game that seem to have been glazed over for the sake of traffic.

First of all, there has been a lot of harassment in this game.  I'm sure we've all heard the name-calling, depraved-action-describing words that have been thrown around.  I honestly wouldn't mind these actions as much if the person responsible for this site had never announced to keep detractors in line -- at least that way, there would never have been false hope and disappointment.  However, I've often noticed that nothing was done to keep said detractors in line (did that "/report" function really DO anything?).  That is just irresponsible.  Either keep your promises or don't make them in the first place.

Secondly, I'd like to point out that much of the disparaging remarks are particularly made toward female players.  I'm not just pulling things out of my ass; I've talked to many girls who felt they were just not welcomed in this community.  Examples of "you must be fat" or "i bet you're ugly" come to mind, with of course, usage of much more colorful words.  I had been so disgusted of the remarks made to women of this game that I stopped playing for a good while.  The words "bitch", "whore", and many others come to mind.  People who are guilty of spewing such words, you know who you are; I won't bother to post individual names up.

Lastly, I'd like to ask if the report function actually makes any difference.  I can come up with several people who have called me depraved names who are still on the Hiscores list even though I've reported them several times.  When I realized that I would receive no support from the moderators of this game, I stopped playing under my name and made several other aliases for anonymity's sake.  -- Not that that stopped the abuse; it only stopped anti-female statements (yes, I felt I had to pretend I was not a female in this game in order not to be harassed).  With that, I've also stopped chatting in any friendly manner.  I don't believe that such actions help this community at all.

I understand that moderators cannot police this site 24/7, but I've given them enough evidence of truely hateful behavior from some people in this game, and yet I see nothing done.  I don't cry wolf; I only report when truely hateful and depraved things are thrown my way, yet I still see those people playing about.  It hardly encourages respect towards those who run this site.

*edited for clarity

The_Gu3st

Quote from: poison_ivy on June 01, 2006, 02:29:52 AM
Secondly, I'd like to point out that much of the disparaging remarks are particularly made toward female players.  I'm not just pulling things out of my ass; I've talked to many girls who felt they were just not welcomed in this community.  Examples of "you must be fat" or "i bet you're ugly" come to mind, with of course, usage of much more colorful words.  I had been so disgusted of the remarks made to women of this game that I stopped playing for a good while.  The words "bitch", "whore", and many others come to mind.  People who are guilty of spewing such words, you know who you are; I won't bother to post individual names up.

Lastly, I'd like to ask if the report function actually makes any difference.  I can come up with several people who have called me depraved names who are still on the Hiscores list even though I've reported them several times.  When I realized that I would receive no support from the moderators of this game, I stopped playing under my name and made several other aliases for anonymity's sake.  -- Not that that stopped the abuse; it only stopped anti-female statements (yes, I felt I had to pretend I was not a female in this game in order not to be harassed).  With that, I've also stopped chatting in any friendly manner.  I don't believe that such actions help this community at all.

Sorry.  :-\

Didn't ever mean any of those things offensively, just jokingly. I dunno if you're even referring to me, but I felt the need to apologize anyways.

Also, the only moderator of this game is matlu, there is no "s" on moderator. He "gave up" on CB because of a lack of players and interest.

:-\

I quit months ago, without updates, players, and random rudeness on the game, it stopped being fun. My last login date was like 2 months ago.

I personally feel the game needs more mods too, but in the end, its up to matlu.

matlu

Right, I gave up on this game. I have no time for maintaining it anymore.

I'm working on new games with more modern  interface (like that Rook game), and the new games should once replace all "old" games.

haferhole1

not to dig up old topics, but u know what game u should make next? battlethingz!

click my egg to get ur own

ultswordsman

Quote from: matlu on June 01, 2006, 09:11:50 AM

I'm working on new games with more modern interface (like that Rook game), and the new games should once replace all "old" games.

ok this is exactly like ivy said i havent been on like guest for months jsut stopping in  a few minutes a week and  this is  complete bs i  reported just like ivy has mike and many other people  who claimed they knew cheats  and  harrased and used colorful language me and ivy were in a  game before she made a new name which i ussually guessed easily and  i supported her while mike and reg and a few other people i wont name sat there like she said saying bitch whore  ugly fatass etc. so yea i quit to not only that but  if im correct  guest and gut and some other people sent you a total of about  80 us dollars which is a few hundred in ur cash system and what do you do you throw away cb and go do rook with that money we donated to work on cb yea.. you heard me
u dumbass guest that was easy to quest thanks to gut

Bakster

MathWiz20

Quote from: ultswordsman on June 01, 2006, 03:25:24 PMmike and many other people  who claimed they knew cheats

Again, I'm not trying to deflect attention away from ivy's point, but I believe ults just proved that mike IS a cheater, that my undercover work DID reveal that he cheats, and that he SHOULD be banned before he gets any higher than 5th on the leaderboard where he is now.

With regard to ivy's post, I know I recently had an argument with her where she claimed I was being rude, but I believe I have the right to be a little sarcastic when two people team on me and I still manage to hold them off.  Nevertheless, I have reported people too (mike a lot of times) and nothing has happened.  Recently, someone came on and started filling the whole chat box with the f-word and wouldn't stop, he just kept posting the word and hitting "enter" about 50 times.  I reported, but I highly doubt anything has happened.

To Matlu, I agree to a certain extent with ults (strange as that sounds).  Most of the people on this site are cyber battles fans, not really greatly interested in rook.  I believe there was a recent attempt, and a successful one at that, to make a new graphic for the hover tank, which is currently as it was in cyber wars.  I believe, but Matlu you can prove me wrong here, that you probably at least have a LITTLE time to implement a new graphic or check some reports.

That is all, just posting my opinion, not trying to offend anyone.
I am a firm believer that the integral of e^x = f(u)^n, or, in mathematical notation: sex = fun.

matlu

Quotesome other people sent you a total of about  80 us dollars

So, here we are, I sort of expected that. I spent more than half a year of my life working on
this game for free (pardon, for $80), I invested almost $600 to computer, I'm paying like $60 every month for internet connection ... and what happens now... people are unsatisfied, complaining, disappointed etc. Great.

Parsley

Unfortunately internet gaming tends to be dominated by annoying brats.

If you walked past them in the street, they'd probably still shout the same things.

Places like CB, I suppose, are online equivalent of that street corner where they hang out on their BMXs.

I would suggest three options:
1) Ignore them, they're just brats
2) Hurl insults back, because they're brats
3) Be content knowing that they are most likely to be fairly geeky, greasy and obnoxious, ADS riddled brats with little chance of developing any kind of social skills because of their obsessive game playing.  As such their infantile whining should only serve to increase your smugness in neither being them, nor having to look forward to a lifetime characterised by permanently adolescent peer groups and emotionally stunted relationships.  (No offence intended, ults)

Parsley

Oups, you replied as I was posting Matlu.

Haven't you learned yet not to actually read what ults posts?

Hmm, two ults flames in two posts.  Zing.

haferhole1

Quote from: matlu on June 01, 2006, 11:49:48 PM

So, here we are, I sort of expected that. I spent more than half a year of my life working on
this game for free (pardon, for $80), I invested almost $600 to computer, I'm paying like $60 every month for internet connection ... and what happens now... people are unsatisfied, complaining, disappointed etc. Great.

welcome to the internet.

im not gonna complain. i like this game and everything u have done with duelboard. i know its just losers with no social life of there own trying to raise there self-esteem by putting others down.  u know what i think any1 who has a problem with this should do? put a big black strip of tape on there screen right where the chatbox is. then, they cant be offended.

or better yet, everytime some1 insults u, goto insults.net, and hit em with an insult with 10x the sting.

as for the cheating thing, whatever. if they feel prowd that they got to #1 in a videogame without any effort, then good for them. personally, i play games to have fun, not to get a great rank. if i win, cool. if not, whatever.  i would sort of understand if this was a game that had like cash prizes for the top players or something, but its not, its for enjoyment.

well, im gonna stop before i start to rants so theres my 2 cents...

click my egg to get ur own

Bakster

Insults.net is a horrible site.

If you insult them back, that makes you just as bad as they are. And they most likely won't shut up, they will insult you more.

ultswordsman

u dumbass guest that was easy to quest thanks to gut

poison_ivy

Quote from: matlu on June 01, 2006, 09:11:50 AM

I'm working on new games with more modern  interface (like that Rook game), and the new games should once replace all "old" games.

Ah, that explains it.  Don't know if you publically announced it before, but without an explanation, it almost seemed like you were condoning some of the behavior.  Now I know that you are letting it be and moving on.  That's fine.

Don't feel too bad about the complaints here; it comes with the territory.  We wouldn't complain so much if we didn't care about the future of the game.
Good luck on your future endeavors, and I will always be thankful that you created this website.

The_Gu3st

Quote from: matlu on June 01, 2006, 11:49:48 PM

Don't expect it. I dont care, to me those 50$ were nothing. I doubt Gut or Dodger care much either. I'm just happy I got to play CB one last time, and to me, those 50$ were completely worth it.