• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

turn order

Started by flamingdragon, April 14, 2005, 03:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flamingdragon

i think turn order should be random every turn. because who goes first could decide who wins the game
Adun Toridas, Executor.

zzboots

Quote from: flamingdragon on April 14, 2005, 03:36:44 AM
i think turn order should be random every turn. because who goes first could decide who wins the game

Thats where the strategy of joining games comes into play.  But  eventually (hopefully) matlu will randomize starting places. :P
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo

flamingdragon

Quote from: zzboots on April 14, 2005, 03:59:09 AM
Thats where the strategy of joining games comes into play.  But  eventually (hopefully) matlu will randomize starting places. :P

i dont just mean the starting places. i mean every turn
Adun Toridas, Executor.

matlu

Quote from: flamingdragon on April 14, 2005, 04:36:26 AM
i dont just mean the starting places. i mean every turn

Well that's really interesting idea.
But it would ruin some strategies (many times I can predict, that oponent is going to holo some big monster, and I can holodetect it in same turn).
Let's wait what other people say.

Anyway, it could be surely part of "Cyberwars extreme" (as Parsley suggest, it should be separated version of the game with new features, something like a sandbox to test if these features make sense)

BladeSabre

At the moment there are advantages to going first, but there are also advantages to going second. Players adapt their strategies to their position, and there's a kind of "tactical flow". If this was implemented, people wouldn't know what to expect, and sometimes a player would be able to move twice with no-one else moving in between. So luck would become too much of a factor.

Parsley

Chuck it into CyberWars EXTREME (tm)

BladeSabre

Quotesomething like a sandbox to test if these features make sense
I would like to see the original remain as the original. So even if a new feature does "make sense", that doesn't mean it has to be transferred, does it?.

matlu

Quote from: BladeSabre on April 14, 2005, 02:11:20 PM
If this was implemented, people wouldn't know what to expect, and sometimes a player would be able to move twice with no-one else moving in between.

Good point. It could happen, that you are last to move in given turn, and first to move in next turn, which is really bad. So probably it's not as good idea as it seemed at first sight.

Parsley

I think with the movement thing, didn't he mean that they were randomised at the start, but remained consistent thereafter?

Visa - keeping the original game concepts...
*mumbles something about intellectual property rights*

matlu

Quote from: Parsley on April 14, 2005, 04:00:39 PM
I think with the movement thing, didn't he mean that they were randomised at the start, but remained consistent thereafter?

Think can be done (and probably also will be done, in due time of course :) )  But I think he meant to randomize it each turn.

Visa - keeping the original game concepts...
*mumbles something about intellectual property rights*

uh, what?

flamingdragon

Quote from: matlu on April 14, 2005, 04:08:15 PM
Think can be done (and probably also will be done, in due time of course :) )  But I think he meant to randomize it each turn.

yes, i did
Adun Toridas, Executor.

Parsley

Didn't really want to go into it again.

The whole thing to do with changing the game sufficiently for it to be recognised as original artistic and intellectual content, in order to avoid any legal crap from Jagex.

---------------

Yeah, randomising every turn would probably be a bit rubbish, but we could give it a whirl I guess...

matlu

Quote from: Parsley on April 14, 2005, 05:15:40 PM
Didn't really want to go into it again.

The whole thing to do with changing the game sufficiently for it to be recognised as original artistic and intellectual content, in order to avoid any legal crap from Jagex.

---------------

Yeah, randomising every turn would probably be a bit rubbish, but we could give it a whirl I guess...

- regarding artistic content, huge progress was done recently :)
- regarding intellectual content: I'm stealing from a tief. But I agree, it needs something to differ... (to make my sleep easier :)  )

Parsley

Some quick ideas:
- change creature names
- change board size & background
- muddle around some creatures from mech to alien
- change 'mech' and 'alien' to something - 'invader' and 'defender'? Well, whatever
- Change terms like 'hologram' to something else

Just chuck as many changes as you can into the sandbox, see what works, and what people complain about/flame.

BladeSabre

Thoughts:

change creature names - good idea
change board size - no, the board size is right how it is
...& background - OK, as long as it remains subtle, subdued and dark.
muddle around some creatures from mech to alien - nononono
change 'mech' and 'alien' to something - 'invader' and 'defender'? Well, whatever - I think orga/mecha has been used in a few places, but would have to do something about the 3 human pieces - make them different kinds of cyborg or something
Change terms like 'hologram' to something else - could change that back to "illusion" and "disbelieve" or whatever it was before?