• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Go open source!

Started by Dantarion, May 27, 2005, 03:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matlu

uh, yes, seems so :)  Well, I will need lots inspiration, but I have to finish the engine first, and it will take some time, it's not very simple thing :-/

cDigital

oops, don't miss the hidden suggestion.  hehe

For the reason to full screen the browser and 'black out' everything, but the playing area.  For Java, well, I guess you can always reset settings to 640x480 for the applet to be full screen, but I still think you should make the background color black.

In art class they teach the forground should be a lighter color and the background darker..  your eye wants to focus in on the forground. 

set your java applet in either a cheaper on bandwidth solid black or use a really stunning background with your applet set in it.  I think all black background would be nice here.  In the html your applet resides, not applet.

matlu

It's not possible to make the applet full-screen. It's meant to reside inside a web brower, and there is no way to "get out" of it.

Are you suggesting to make web-page background black? Hm. Well general site design (frontpage & forum) uses white background, I think it would looks strange to switch to black just in game page... ?

cDigital

yes, java uses absolute pixel values.

QuoteFor Java, well, I guess you can always set screen resolution settings to 640x480 for the applet to be full screen

If over all site theme is important, try and use black, dark & light gray's throughout.

I am not sure how many pages or page templates that means updating, but 1 style sheet can update them all if you copy and paste the style sheet reference in all the headers. 

I 'used to' command a $140.00 per hour webdesign fee.  I would not steer you in a wrong direction..   I wish I could show you the color scheem I'm talking about.  I am thinking I know of a computer security site that uses similar color.. but i cant think now..  :-\

I can also recomend some good free font sites encase you want futuristic fonts in certain places instead of arial.  or i could just email you a couple of my favorties.. I am missing one very good paid futurisitc font called Stop.  It's in certain versions of corel draw.. They paid to include it, personally i installed the program just for the font.. then i find that my program was without fonts for size constraints.. crappy warez..

matlu

you are right, I don't think I have any graphical-design skills. I also don't think that current color scheme is best.

it's quite easy is to change background in all pages - but it's not enough. Probably also text/link color would have change. But I don't feel I coould find some good-looking combination myself.

If you really want, you can redisign the webpages yourself. I'm really not able to do it, and advice like "use light gray for background" is not enough. Please either make some complete solution .... or get used to current status :)

cDigital

Quoteand advice like "use light gray for background" is not enough.

lol.. ok  :D

zozefup

I don't understand what "open source" means exactly.  I thought it just meant that other people could see how you built the game.  I thought if you had copy writes, no one could steal the game even if it was open source? 

I've just started learning how to program.  I know q-basic and alittle of C++.   I'd be interested in seeing how you built the game for learning purposes...  is that possible?

matlu

QuoteI don't understand what "open source" means exactly.  I thought it just meant that other people could see how you built the game.
yes

QuoteI thought if you had copy writes, no one could steal the game even if it was open source?
In theory yes, in practice no. For example in theory your car cannot be stolen, because it's against law. In practice... well....  it's good idea to lock it and buy an alarm.

QuoteI've just started learning how to program.  I know q-basic and alittle of C++
cool

QuoteI'd be interested in seeing how you built the game for learning purposes...  is that possible?
No. Frankly, it would not help you. But I know something far better (really). Go to www.sourceforge.org  You will find hundreds of similar or *better* games, written in any programming language you can think of, with full source codes. And when I said hundreds, I meant it so.

matlu

Quote  I know q-basic and a little of C++.   I'd be interested in seeing how you built the game for learning purposes

Seriously, it's not the best idea to start studying some complex finished games, it would only bring headache to you.

I would suggest you to get some book on this topic, there are plenty around. I cannot judge quality of these books, I've only read "Black art of java game programming" and I don't know how it compares to other books (this one is probably a bit outdated, there are newer books) but I think that this (or any other) book can be very useful for beginners. Definitely more useful than analysing some finished game.

zozefup

Ok,  thanks.  I'll look into it