• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Started by zzboots, June 04, 2005, 07:39:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzboots

Warning: The following message requires some mental stimulation of the brain.  If you do not want to think, please do not read the post.  If you do not understand it, please don't flame the post.  Ask me to explain the section and I'll do my best to clarify things.  If you still don't understand, I suggest you just move on.  Now read on at your own risk.

Let's be realistic about this.  A quick summation of the top twenty players shows that they have gained over 3000 net points.  The number is a bit more but I will keep the math simple.  Matlu has stated that there is about 100 active players in the game.

So assuming that the remaining 80 players loose a uniform amount, each player would need to loose 40 net points.  Everytime they win, they would also have to loose those points to reach that amount.

Being more generous and saying there is 100 players (20 additional players) to cover the losses still puts the amount at 30 net points per person.

Of course the guest factor has to be factored in.  But IF people are using the guest  feature as intended, then the new players would play 3-5 games, see if they like it, and then make a new name or stop playing.  And of course there are always guests taking points away from the high score players.  So the guest points should be adding up to relatively few overall points for the high score.

And of course there are players at 2 points.  Of course you automatically loose 2 points per game.  So that person would have to play a minimum of 49 games to reach this level.  Making an honest attempt to play the game will result in some wins for everyone, no matter what their skill level.  So the number of games played should be a lot higher than 49.  Even if a player would loose game after game, one would think they would grow tired of the game and stop playing.

So where do we stand?  Well based on the data, there should be an elite group of around 20 or so players with all the points and 80-100 or so players hovering between 60-70 points.  Guest names should relatively few additional points.  And there should be virtually no one at 2 points.

Let's look at how CB is in reality though.  Every time I log on, I usually see 0-5 other players. Let's say there is 5 people on. Typically at least 2 players will be on the top 20 board.  There will be like 2 players around 80-90 points.  And there will be a guest.

So where are all the 60-70 point players?  I have rarely seen anyone under 70 points.  I saw one person at 2 and The_Guest told me that he knew of three others.  Most players are over 80 points.  So the statistical analysis of the data does not concur with the observed data.

The reason for this is pretty obvious.  People are cheating to gain points by either by using guest names or else making dud characters to loose points.  This post accuses no one specifically of cheating.  It just states a clear and present fact.  I look forward to your intelligent replies.
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo

exiledragon

you think anyone that disagrees with you is stupid? niccce
Game user name = AnkleBiter
Calling somone overconfident/unskilled when you are losing is NOT good timing.
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript order of the stick

zzboots

Quote from: exiledragon on June 04, 2005, 07:48:27 AM
you think anyone that disagrees with you is stupid? niccce
I never once said the word stupid in the original post.  I made no opinion, just gave a clear and precise fact.

<add edit>Exile please remove the word banned from under your avatar.
-William G. McAdoo

exiledragon

I have 3 accounts with ratings of 80ish , throw that into the machine

PS what u posted is not a fact, you are posting numbers on what you SAW, not what is real.

BlitzJoker

Quote from: exiledragon on June 04, 2005, 07:55:50 AM
I have 3 accounts with ratings of 80ish , throw that into the machine

Tis, hence the "100 non-Top 20" rather than 80.

The math seems logical, based on the statistics given. People could be cheating, but as zz requested before, if everyone could just follow the "honor" system the game would start off fine. You see when theres a large and varied fanbase its ok to have a few discraseful players using shady or "cheap" tatics. But if new players come and see like half the current fanbase doing this, and cursing them off, why would they stay? Same goes if what zz is saying is true and people really are cheating and getting plenty of points more then everyone else, the new guys will see them and be like "ugh its no use I can't even get close".

exiledragon

But IF people are using the guest  feature as intended, then the new players would play 3-5 games

-Is untrue- I know a few people who only use the guest feature.

Being more generous and saying there is 100 players (20 additional players) to cover the losses still puts the amount at 30 net points per person.

-That is 80 active players, not 80 players ever played the game, As said i have in less than a month lost 60 net points, im sure others have much more.

Even if a player would loose game after game, one would think they would grow tired of the game and stop playing

-Useless speculation

Let's look at how CB is in reality though.  Every time I log on, I usually see 0-5 other players. Let's say there is 5 people on. Typically at least 2 players will be on the top 20 board.  There will be like 2 players around 80-90 points.  And there will be a guest.

-Not even close to a fact

BlitzJoker

QuoteLet's look at how CB is in reality though.  Every time I log on, I usually see 0-5 other players. Let's say there is 5 people on. Typically at least 2 players will be on the top 20 board.  There will be like 2 players around 80-90 points.  And there will be a guest.

Also my observation too, never really any1 below 80s, but I don't play all that much.

zzboots

Quote from: exiledragon on June 04, 2005, 08:37:09 AM
But IF people are using the guest  feature as intended, then the new players would play 3-5 games

-Is untrue- I know a few people who only use the guest feature.
Those people who do it (The_Guest) still manage to win and take points away from the high score. Players still shouldn't be loosing heaps of points all the time.

-That is 80 active players, not 80 players ever played the game, As said i have in less than a month lost 60 net points, im sure others have much more.
Assume that those players that causally drop in help build a part of the 20+ additional players helping fuel the high score.

Even if a player would loose game after game, one would think they would grow tired of the game and stop playing

-Useless speculation
Take a poll.  If you kept loosing money in a stock you wouldn't keep investing in it, would you?

Let's look at how CB is in reality though. Every time I log on, I usually see 0-5 other players. Let's say there is 5 people on. Typically at least 2 players will be on the top 20 board. There will be like 2 players around 80-90 points. And there will be a guest.

-Not even close to a fact
Do you want me to start keeping records of which players i see in the lobby?

All the names hovering around 100 aren't even taken into account.  They add more net points and take away from potential fuel players.  There can only be so many people loosing points.
-William G. McAdoo

HellsRage666

Uh, zz, I'm not sure what you mean by when you say "Those people who do it, (The_Guest)..." is an insult, a fact, or an accusation ???. I just flat out didnt understand what you were saying about me.  :-\

exiledragon

Assume that those players that causally drop in help build a part of the 20+ additional players helping fuel the high score.

-perhaps true, i have not been playing long enough to know

Take a poll.  If you kept loosing money in a stock you wouldn't keep investing in it, would you?

-Beleive it or not, some people play this game to have fun  ::)

Do you want me to start keeping records of which players i see in the lobby?

-No, that would not prove anything unless you where in the lobby 24/7, would have to get some kind of info from matlu.

All the names hovering around 100 aren't even taken into account.  They add more net points and take away from potential fuel players.  There can only be so many people loosing points.

- if one person on the top20 is on most of the time , like you say then they would never be taking points fom eachother ( i like contridicting myself)

zzboots

Quote from: HellsRage666 on June 04, 2005, 09:09:58 AM
Uh, zz, I'm not sure what you mean by when you say "Those people who do it, (The_Guest)..." is an insult, a fact, or an accusation ???. I just flat out didnt understand what you were saying about me.  :-\
Simply you have been known to play on guest names.  You join such fine company as Matlu amoung other players.  It's not an attack against you or anyone.

There is nothing wrong with playing under a guest name as long as you are PLAYING the game.
-William G. McAdoo

exiledragon

Quote from: exiledragon on June 04, 2005, 09:12:58 AM

- if one person on the top20 is on most of the time , like you say then they would never be taking points fom eachother ( i like contridicting myself)

misread that , sorry

zzboots

Quote from: exiledragon on June 04, 2005, 09:12:58 AM
-Beleive it or not, some people play this game to have fun  ::)
Woo.  Thats why I play and I hope everyone else does too.  ;D

What also should be made known is that players in the top 20 taking points from one another doesn't help to add points into the general Top twenty pool.  These are merely traded back and forth.  So the focus needs to be on those people dropping below 100.  And how the points orignally got into the pool.
-William G. McAdoo

HellsRage666

Yeah, i do play on  guests names occasionally. But you will be happy to know I find it wrong to steal usernames points from a guest name, so i simply just prove i have won a game under a guest name and then quit it :-D. This way, everyone gets along, plus, I have the satisfaction of humiliating them  ;D

zzboots

Quote from: HellsRage666 on June 04, 2005, 09:58:57 AM
Yeah, i do play on  guests names occasionally. But you will be happy to know I find it wrong to steal usernames points from a guest name, so i simply just prove i have won a game under a guest name and then quit it :-D. This way, everyone gets along, plus, I have the satisfaction of humiliating them  ;D
While you might see this as a good deed, it is actually an example of point inflation.

<edit>Fixed spelling mistake, thanks The_Guest
-William G. McAdoo