• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

RP game room

Started by Adam, August 02, 2005, 01:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Gu3st

Its a great idea, and at least people like karkarot wouldnt have to sit bored for like 4 hours.

Adam

eh he always sits bored for hours.... but then i wouldnt have to ;D

TheMcCool

I like rping, but this isn't really my idea of rping... I've played the odd DnD game, and have roleplayed characters before in games like Neverwinter Nights and City of Heroes, and Ultima Online.

I don't mean to judge, but in all the years I spent in GD Castle, this is my impression of the "dbz fighting rp chat" : A bunch of people rping some strange pseudo-self, in a huge empty space. Most of them have dbz powers, with strength levels based on how somber and stoic they are able to come across as. And they have fights for random reasons, with outcomes determined by how fast they can type. But that doesn't determine the outcome always, as they have those imaginary power levels. If you're not part of the in-crowd and like to chat and goof off alot then your power level is weak. When they are not fighting they are busy flaming each other and acting superior and bitchy to noobs and people they don't know. :P

This is really my honest, unexxagerated impression. If there's more to it than that I would love to be proved wrong, and maybe join in with you guys some time if the rp room gets made. But if it's really all about *punch* *block* *blast* *dodge*, I have a funner way to do that. Ever heard of ZSNES? It's an emulator, which can play rom images of snes games. There's a program for ZSNES called Zbattle. It makes finding other zsnes users online very easy, and you can launch 1 on 1 multiplayer games from there. I often play games like SSF2, SF2 Alpha, and Gundam Wing: Endless Duel with people. It's a blast. There's also a dbz fighting game which is pretty popular, called DBZ: Hyper Dimension or something, but I never got into it. If you're interested, zsnes can be found at zsnes.com , and zbattle at zbattle.net . As for the roms, it's pseudo-illegal to link to them on a public forum, but they're easy to find with a google search.
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.
-The very available Song Flower

(Please Copy and Paste This In Your Profile Wink) <<i dont see the point.  Huh

Bakster

Typing *kick* for hours on end doesn't sound very interesting to me. Sorry.

Adam

sadly i must 110% appreciate your input as when i look over my topic, even though i told EVERYONE from GDC to post on here, 1 person has posted a "good work" run through... thats it... so it looks like im kinda alone for the most part so i guess ill give it my go...

yes... back in the castle it was kind of like that... because of mainly 2 people... Jet and Psychodemon... both of them were of the best, quite literally... and to explain ill explain what all gives power...

yes some are judged as weak automatically... but those judged are generally guests or people who automatically come in and call us nerds and down talk us for doing what we enjoy... we dont make fun of you for playing cyber wars do we?

the "power level" as you call it is morely based on how fast you can type yes, but a big part of it is also how intelligent you are... for example Jet and Psychodemon were the best not only because they were very fast typists... but because their RP Characters were nearly invincible... they had a lot of weaknesses but those weaknesses were covered by the fact that they could type fast enough... they were smart enough to make their characters so that blasts would deflect off their scales(and they didnt just say my scales deflect blasts, they had FULL EXPLANATIONS on how their scales worked) and a lot of other parts of their characters that were all very well thought out and had very in depth explanations... if you want to know about how well thought out it all was i can probably ask Jet if he can check in, though i give no guarentees to whether he will as ive asked everyone from GDC to check in...

the "power level" is also, yes, judged by if youve been around... but not as youre thinking... you think that if youre not in the in-crowd youre weak in our eyes... but its morely a matter of you proving youre not just trying to make fun of us for being different, that youre actually doing it for fun, as we do... i personally enjoy RPing because its a way for me to create a fight in my mind and enjoy it because who knows whats going to happen next... youre not creating it all... its always evolving to something new... new people who actually want to join in only make it more fun, so i treat new people, who prove to have at least some dedication, as equals... then its all left up to who can type faster or think out their attacks and get them in...

the thinking basis of it doesnt just go towards making your character... it goes into being able to think how to counter any attack your opponent comes up with right after they do it, and then be able to it and keep thinking in split second time... sure it sounds easy you just dodge and block... but when you have to attack also to be able to win? its a lot harder than it sounds when you stick around to do it a lot... think of it as a hobby... its a lot of fun when you get into it and it helps you think.....

of course getting back to the castle... Jet and Psychodemon judged a lot of people who werent, as you said, the in-crowd... but neither of them really RP anymore... Psychodemon has no computer, and Jet just kinda fell out of it all... now we try to only judge those like Wildtigre... who came into the chess room(where a fairly large group of us were at) and automatically judged us as losers and otherwise just because we didnt want to play the games... and Kakarot is known as cock to him as a result... enough said there....

the fact is that times have changed... power levels are on a prove your worth basis... it takes a lot of practice, yes, but we are willing to help people get started if they want... we have done it before... as long as youre willing to learn... youre not going to just walk in out of nowhere and *rips adams head off and wins* something like that... if you do that then youre just going to be judged... we like to have new people but not people who think theyre the best before theyve started... keep in mind almost every one of us has been doing this for 4 years or so... Kakarot, Iceking00, Xanatos, Fate(Fury?), Devlin, Myself and many others... you cant expect us to let you act bigger than us without at least trying to act bigger... we worked hard to get as good as we are... a lot of practice and thought to be how we are... walk into a CounterStrike(Halflife?) tournament and talk down to them... most of those players are long time players who put a lot of time into it...

im aware of the super nintendo stuff as i play the Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire and a few other games on my emulator... its not illegal unless you dont own the games you download... but anyways its not something we are interested in... games like that only limit us... those games are a simple matter of pressing buttons... we put a lot more thought into this than figuring out the right combos... eventually everyone figures out all the moves and it gets boring... RPing however... ever evolving....

sorry about the really long post but i figure if im not going to have help from my fellow RP'ers its time i make clear our ways and intentions... do keep in mind even if you dont agree with this our msn group does have i believe 30 members, however innactive, and a lot of people have been surprised at how many of us have been gathered in a room like chess or checkers or reversi....

thank you for the post please dont let my rant discourage you from posting more feedback

Adam

TheMcCool

Hmm, I guess I understand what you're saying. Also, I kind of regret what I posted if any of it is offensive to you guys. Glad to hear the whole attitude thing has changed since the castle. I'll admit that I did think it was kind of silly back then when I first saw people doing it, so I never took it seriously and made fun of people a little. But I didn't feel bad about it, because of the aforementioned attitude problem that I always saw.

Well, I guess the whole fighting rp thing just doesn't appeal to me. But I'll respect you guys from now on. Except for Goku. Goku is just funny. With the being silent for hours, making good uses of ellipses "..." and then when it's time to fight all of a sudden going all hyper with the attacks. That will always be funny to me, sorry.

Also, while games like SSF2 can become predictable, I can assure you that Gundam Wing Endless Duel has alot of depth. ;) It was never released in america and that's a big shame. When I was into SSF2, I was able to match all the experts online after "mastering the moves" and getting used to playing in top turbo speed. But true GWED experts are crazy. I've yet to match the few that I've met, and I think I've been practicing it alot longer now than I did SSF2. :P
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.
-The very available Song Flower

(Please Copy and Paste This In Your Profile Wink) <<i dont see the point.  Huh

Adam

its just something we've worked hard at and we dont feel like having it demeaned in any way which is so far all ive really seen of it from other people on this site... whether it appeals to you or not im glad you see our point... i have asked Jet to come take a look but i have no clue if he will or not, either way hes been informed and i didnt mention it before but he was the one who created the msn group for us to try to keep in practice and such... hopefully it wont be needed, though we will manage both...

yes... goku can be funny if you look at it right... he never let the castle go after it fell and after GDC became innactive he stood tall... hes one of our best fighters as well, but morely an amazing guy which deserves respect... hes stood tall through all of this... alone and with others... strong in many ways... but yes... he did kinda patent the spontaneous ellipse....

and those expert GWED players seem kinda like we are if not crazier... we see it as a 68 trans am.... cant let it fall apart... a nice car like that deserves to be fixed up into its glory....like a really good game of cyber battles perhaps? its so good you just dont want it to end... not the best annologies but hey... i think my point has gotten across....

matlu

Adam, thank you for the sketches

- now I have the idea how it should look like and I will try to work on it. However, don't expect to have any tangible results very soon, it will take a week or two to make at least something simple, I'm very busy with other stuff at the moment
- it will not be part of current game suite (cyber battles, checkers etc.), it will be separated game

Carbon

well, im sorry that i didn't reply to your thang, but i really wasn't aware of it until a couple days ago. since im not part of gdc anymore, i don't look at the message boards, but i check in on your intro page every once in a while. i looked at your sketches, and i must say that they're ok, but since this rp room is going to be rp only, i would suggest not having the small window at the bottom with room for only like 5 lines of type. also, you need a scroll up/down option to review moves.. stuff like that for us lowly judges.  :P  also, i heard that you get kicked every five minutes if you don't play a game or if you don't change rooms. this... is gay. no, scratch that, it's uber-gay. and you gotta eliminate that if you're gonna make a successful room just for rpers.

the team idea, as in a certain list for team one and team two.... most of our fights are one on one or tag team. so i dunno about that feature. and nothing else about that really stood out to me, so, there's my input. HAPPY!?  8) i am teh coolness...

devlin

this room isnt for people who dont like rping, this is for the people who actually enjoy it O.o or want to learn it. Flaming it before you even know what its like is just stupid. If you don't want to be a part of it, don't. I think it's a good idea (obviously) and I think the sketches are more than a little sketchy O.o....... just slightly. But they have the right idea. I agree with teh Carb tho, gotta get rid of the idle booting.

devlin

Quote from: Carbon on August 06, 2005, 07:09:53 AM
well, im sorry that i didn't reply to your thang

Hahaha, she said thang :P

Adam

first id like to thank matlu for checking out my post and posting a reply it helped a lot as i thought i was completely alone... if you need any help at all with this i would be more than glad to help in any way i can...

carbon: i did say about a scrollbar im sure, if not thats definately true that we need one... idle logout will be unnacceptable, as judges mainly sit and watch, and people not fighting but still on a team wont be able to talk for the most part...

as for the teams yes we mostly do 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 but we also do sometimes have 1 on 2 matches and such... think about heckran and mist and kallel and nave... and diablo... they all need help to face someone like me... ;D

devlin: very well put... the problem that people get is that people are looking at it like i want this room for myself, which since not many people are openly supporting me thats how it look... people dont see how many people we actually have that could use and would want this... and yes... they are verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry sketch :-\

P.S: haha she DID say thang O_o

Iced_Marche

na..fuck you adam the rp rooms a good idea but dude.....you suck

Syn_Adam:lets go play checkers
Syn_Adam: *skips to checkers*
Iceking00:dude.....did you just skip?..
Syn_Adam: ....omg I skipped

Adam

o.o............. sadly thats a true convo... ish... not exactly... but i still pwn you every time! :D

Prince_Death

Adam...you actually have a good idea for once...now i can go after Goku like i did in gd like goood old times..by the way this is Diablo :P