• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

RP game room

Started by Adam, August 02, 2005, 01:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ultswordsman

yea i like doing that i remember this 1 guest said he was immortal cuz he was a noob but he was stupid so i did the 1 thing that can beat him

*opens rift throws guest in and he gets trapped in a universal vortex* and since he cant die he will be in there for ever

TheMcCool

I think this rp game room should be made a priority... It's kind of awkward when you want to go play chess, but then the only people in there are the dbz-rpers.
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.
-The very available Song Flower

(Please Copy and Paste This In Your Profile Wink) <<i dont see the point.  Huh

Bakster

Can't they go and find their own RP site, I'm sure there are plenty...

matlu

I'm really very very sorry, but currently it really doesn't look like I could work on RP room in near future  :( I know I sort of promised it, but it's really not possible

if some smart programmer would hack such game in php (or if you know some existing opne-source one) I would put it on the server

unknown

well what u could do is like make a thing like cw except theres is only a list of people there no create game button   etc(until u make stuff for it) and just label it rp so pretty much copy a room delete most buttons and thats about it all ud have to do pretty much  is make the chat box and thats it

matlu

well this I could make easily, but the chatbox would *not* have copy&paste functionality, that's impossible at the moment. So if you can live without it I can make you an empty room with bigger chatbox

unknown

yea i didnt mean that i meant copy a room like an idea not like copy a phrase and thne paste it in chat box but yea thats exactly it that make us rpers happy and u can work on it as u have time

Adam

he was refering to part of my idea... its been a while since i checked in here.. i checked for a while but when it went completely dead i assumed the idea was given up on...

if its just not possible theres no need for copy and paste... its morely just for record keeping, as i like to keep track of all my fights... im sure just making a bigger chatbox room would be no effort at all and could be done within a day so that could easily be an option for until youre able to work on a bigger one...

either way its more of a convenience thing... the main thing we really all feel we NEED is the scrollbar... without that its very hard to have judging on the fight to decide who really won, if its a problem...

matlu

hm, if it's only for archiving purposes, maybe it would possible to make a button, which would open pop-up window with copy of chat content. This popup window could probably have copy&paste functionality, I'll think about it & try it.

But there is also one other problem, maybe bigger. It depends on how important the speed is for the game. Right now the server framework for all games works in one second "beats". It always quickly checks if some player made some action, than process it and sends updates too all players in the room. And then it waits one second doing nothing. After one second it again checks for input and updates other players. The problem is that if there are several players in a room, the server checks them in fixed order. So it may happen that if one player writes something, and the seconds  player writes something let's say 200 miliseconds later, it is possible that the message of seconds player will be processed and displayed sooner. The order of processing is always fixed. I don't how timing-sensitive is this game. If miliseconds matters then somebody would always have unfair advantages.
To overcome this problem it would be necessary to write completely new game server separated from current games.
I don't know if this is an issue, if you can currently play in some lobby without feeling that it's unfair, then it's probably ok for you.

Dodger

Quote from: Adam on September 03, 2005, 08:14:20 AM
if its just not possible theres no need for copy and paste... its morely just for record keeping, as i like to keep track of all my fights...

Can't you just screen cap then?

Adam

cant we just screen cap them? no... rping is a lot longer than that... usually an rp fight is 10 minutes long at least... kinda hard to screen cap that much...

and yes that would be a problem matlu... sometimes milliseconds mean everything in the fight... not often but thats why we want the scrollbar... because sometimes itll show up like this for me:

iceking00: *slams fist into his face*
Syn Adam: *flips to the side*
iceking00: *uppercuts*

and for him itll show his 2 actions the my 1 action... it seems to happen no matter where we rp... i think it may be something like the same thing youre talking about, but because i dont really have any experience in programming im not 100% sure...

either way generally miliseconds only matter in fast fights... and the only fast people we seem to have are myself, kakarot, jet(who doesnt rp anymore apparently..) and psychodemon(who doesnt have a computer currently)... so its not like it would make much of a difference generally.. like i said the main thing we're looking for is something better than what we have right now... we're not asking you to go all out... we're asking for the best you can do... if this is all you have available for us right now we'd be damn appreciative just for it... duelboard seems to attract people better than msn...

ultswordsman

ok all rpers what well do until matlu gets a  rp room up well just continue to use chess and i rp to but on a diff name i used to be super fast but i slowed a alot cuz i couldnt get practice and adam no offense but i think my idea about a normal rp room without a make game button, and non/rated rated buttons and no score board would be good until matlu gets time to add stuff in and well have a big chat box and name box and exit button and that would be it until matlu had time to add options to the game u know that way wed have a room and matlu would only have to work when he wants to
u dumbass guest that was easy to quest thanks to gut

Dodger

Why not have one like the one on the tournement website matlu?
It's simple, looks free, and has a copy and paste function. Seems ideal.

Adam

yeah ults that probably would be fine... like i said the only thing we really feel we need for this is a scrollbar on the chat... matlu asked for an elaborate plan for a room and i got one up...

dodger im not sure what youre talking about but if it would work then that sounds good too