• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

what db NEEDS.

Started by zzboots, September 04, 2005, 07:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzboots

Here is my relatively short list of things db, in particular cb, needs to be successful.

-Language Filter/Monitoring System
   A good deal of players are underage.  They shouldn't have to listen to profanities all game long; though I must say some of the underaged are certainly contributing to the problem.  All of the games are "family games" so the language should be kept to this standard.  There should be punishments for those who cannot keep their tongue in check.

-Terms of Service/Game Rules
   Right now you technically can do anything on the game as you please.  Rules limiting cheating, harassment of other players, exploitation of bugs, etc. should be posted so that some standard can be followed.  Again, this is to ensure a fair, honest game for every player.

-Add Virus/Electropulse
   It is pretty obvious that the offense has a big advantage over the defense.  Adding these elements will simply bring more balance to the game.  In particular, it would give those who go after a player a better chance during the game.

-Randomize the Starting Places
   Note that I do not mean allow each person to start any random place on the board.  What I mean is don't have first, second, third, etc. person start in the same spot each game.  You might be wondering, why is this such a big deal?  Well, it adds the element of fairness to the game.  If it is a four person game and people agree on top vs bottom, then both top team members gets to move before the bottom.  This puts the bottom team at a huge disadvantage, simply because they joined a game later.  But say the first and last to act player are on the top, this helps give a fairer game for everyone.

-No Guest Names
   I know there is a noble purpose for the guest names, but I am afraid that the negatives far outway the benefits.  Sure they allow a player to try out the game, but it only takes a few seconds to register anyways.  But guest names take a lot away from the game.  For instance, say you are a player who always likes to teleport and use a light sabre.  Since you know this tell, you are better prepared to deal with it when you are playing with them.  But say that player is on a guest name, you have no clue of the person's habits.  Not only could the teleport be a suprise, but then you would have to decide what is coming next: holo, real, or sabre.  Guest names take skill, especially reading your opponent, out of the game.  Then of course, some people go on guest names to harass other people and sometimes cheat.  Both take away from what the game could be.

Those are the essentials.  If I think of anything else, I'll add it.  But all of these are required to have the best game possible.
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo

TheMcCool

I agree for the most part, especially on the -Add Virus/Electropulse and -Randomize the Starting Places.
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.
-The very available Song Flower

(Please Copy and Paste This In Your Profile Wink) <<i dont see the point.  Huh

The_Gu3st

Randomizing the starting places would not be a "clone" of cyber wars. It wasnt broekn in theoriginal, it isnt broken now. Im completely for a first come first serve basis.

zzboots

Quote from: The_Gu3st on September 04, 2005, 07:56:10 PM
Randomizing the starting places would not be a "clone" of cyber wars. It wasnt broekn in theoriginal, it isnt broken now. Im completely for a first come first serve basis.
A) please spell check/proof read your posts.  I had to reread it two times.

B) Just because a person makes a game, it should not give him the advantage.  People want to take all the skill out of the game.  It's sad when it's the same few people starting each game.
-William G. McAdoo

Bakster

It also needs the ability to watch games, instead of being bored sick in the lobby. It would also help to catch cheaters.

zzboots

Quote from: Bakster on September 04, 2005, 09:55:52 PM
It also needs the ability to watch games, instead of being bored sick in the lobby. It would also help to catch cheaters.
I am just trying to point out the essentials that are a must.  Ability to watch games isn't all that important, more along the lines of a luxury.  Castle functioned fine without it.
-William G. McAdoo

Dodger

I think that observer mode is an essential.

TheMcCool

I kind of agree about observer mode being needed. It would be great to see real quick how long until a game is over.
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.
-The very available Song Flower

(Please Copy and Paste This In Your Profile Wink) <<i dont see the point.  Huh

Bakster

An alternative for getting rid of guests is to have the ability to restrict your tables so that no guests are allowed. I'm fed up of playing "fake" guests all the time.

Dodger

I can see why some high ranking players want to use guest accounts though.
Noobs and weaklings all team together when in a large match just because abc or kxb  is there.
"We may as well team because he will win otherwise"
I've seen it happen many a time.

zzboots

Quote from: Dodger on September 05, 2005, 07:10:51 PM
I can see why some high ranking players want to use guest accounts though.
Noobs and weaklings all team together when in a large match just because abc or kxb  is there.
"We may as well team because he will win otherwise"
I've seen it happen many a time.
Then people should be playing people their own skill level.  Two newbs have every right to team up on a better player, since he or she has chosen to play them.  How fair is it in a game abc vs a new comer?  But if the person plays people around his or her skill level, then this problem will not occur since it will be a fair game.  That's why the points are so inflated anyways because people won't play others at their own skill level.
-William G. McAdoo

The_Gu3st

Not necessaryily a new-comer. Ive had people that can play team me and they literally said out loud "hey lets team him otherwise he will win anyways"

Points mean (excuse my language) absolute shit. Me having 800 whatever points it is only means i have tons of free time (and maybe no life  :-\).

But when a player sees me with tons of points they automatically assume im undeafeatble unless i get teamed.

That is why i quit for 3 weeks, now I ONLY play sabres (pretty much).

and I'm almost 100% positive that is why abc, kxb, cdigital quit too. Notice none of them have played game (on their main usernames atleast) for quite some time.

(and yes i know, kxb was on yesterday... for like 10 mins... only for a special purpose)

BlitzJoker

Quote from: The_Gu3st on September 05, 2005, 08:06:04 PM
But when a player sees me with tons of points they automatically assume im undeafeatble unless i get teamed.

Those with true skill enjoy the challenge. No non-noob players will team thinking you are undefeatable.

Bakster

So the good players get teamed occasionally. Does that give them the right to hide on an anonymous name and own everybody?

And isn't it the best players who prefer large 4-6 player games instead of 2 player games? And they start whining when they get teamed? Give me a break.

anima

lol its fun when you play as a guest or a new account and people think you're a nOOb :D