• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Jesus

Started by Bakster, September 09, 2005, 09:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzboots

Quote from: TheMcCool on November 02, 2005, 06:45:22 AM
I think Jesus was cool. But most (not all, but most) of his followers are not cool. I will admit there are some really hot Christian girls though. Going to church can be a great way to meet chicks.
This is the pointless, disrespectful crap that is not needed.

Quote from: haferhole1 on November 02, 2005, 06:48:15 PM
i have a question 4 u guys

if we are all gods children, whats so special about jesus?
Christian belief is that Jesus is divine.
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo

haferhole1

i know, i just thought it was funny.  i got it from jimmy carr's stand up

click my egg to get ur own

TheMcCool

I didn't disrespect Christianity, I just stated what I thought of Jesus. It's on topic. Rather than add to a discussion on the factuality of the portrayal of Jesus, the content of which we've all read about hundreds of times (to me that's pointless crap unless you have something new to bring to the table - which no one here did,) I gave my admittedly light-hearted opinion on Jesus as a person. But I should have expected a reaction like that from zz. To elaborate - I respect what Jesus did and what he stood for, back in his time. I dislike what christianity has become, and some of its effects on modern society. It is a big part of western culture, and was a driving force in bringing about humanitarian rights as a norm. But who's to say that wouldn't have happened anyway, or wasn't happening already?

What don't I like about Christianity? I wish I kept lists of these things, but let's start off with something simple. They have a whole rigamarole in the bible of how Jesus and his followers were persecuted, and suffered so much. Now that Christianity is on top in the world (arguably) why are so many of them so intolerant of other religions and ideologies? Yes, not all Christians are intolerant, but it seems like a good majority are. That's why I say I dislike its "effects," and what it has "become" in some very sizeable portions of the world.
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.
-The very available Song Flower

(Please Copy and Paste This In Your Profile Wink) <<i dont see the point.  Huh

zzboots

Quote from: TheMcCool on November 03, 2005, 10:14:38 PM
I didn't disrespect Christianity, I just stated what I thought of Jesus. It's on topic. Rather than add to a discussion on the factuality of the portrayal of Jesus, the content of which we've all read about hundreds of times (to me that's pointless crap unless you have something new to bring to the table - which no one here did,) I gave my admittedly light-hearted opinion on Jesus as a person. But I should have expected a reaction like that from zz.
You Know what I was referring to.

Quote from: TheMcCool on November 02, 2005, 06:45:22 AM
I will admit there are some really hot Christian girls though. Going to church can be a great way to meet chicks.

-William G. McAdoo

TheMcCool

Well I apologize for offending you. It's just weird: you're like the only one on this messageboard who won't take a tongue in cheek comment for what it is, and insist on applying your own hangups to it to put it in an offensive light. Alright zz, continue with your serious discussions... I'll stay out of it, unless someone comes up with something worth discussing.
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.

Parsley

Okay.  Hypothetical question for the Christians amongst us.

God comes down to earth one day and shouts 'I quit!', shuts the doors to heaven, clicks his fingers and de-etherealises into nothingness.

What would you do?

Bakster

Bakster

We wouldn't know if God "quit" as we can't see or hear him. We are clueless to whether he actually did create the world or not for the same reason. If some religious person "felt" this or had a vision, then even the religious people would think he is mentally insane as they would think that God would never leave his creations.
But it wouldn't really matter. What does God do for us anyway...answer our prayers and that's about it.

Parsley

'hypothetical' means 'make believe' - so 'hypothetically' speaking he manifests himself in a way that we can see and hear (like the Big J himself)

zzboots

The whole concept of a Christian God is a loving God.  His love is infinite so it will not just "dry up one day."  God is outside the realm of time so if he has already started, he won't be stopping. ;)
-William G. McAdoo

T3h luggage

Quote from: TheMcCool on November 03, 2005, 10:14:38 PM
Now that Christianity is on top in the world (arguably) why are so many of them so intolerant of other religions and ideologies? Yes, not all Christians are intolerant, but it seems like a good majority are.
I am honestly tired of people talking about tolerance.  Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the light.  No one comes to the father except through me."  that means that if you believe in the Bible in it's entirety, you also beleive that all other religions do not lead to heaven.  So, we sit back and say, "good luck with that!  I accept your beleifs even though I know you're going to hell."?  No, I think not.  This doesn't mean we go out and beat people up, or torture people of other religions for being different.  So what is this entire tolerance thing about in the first place?

zzboots

Quote from: T3h luggage on November 04, 2005, 11:24:47 PM
So what is this entire tolerance thing about in the first place?

Being acceptive in allowing people to practice as they see fit.  If you force someone to believe something, then it has lost all value.  You can preach your beliefs without being too forceful, and other religious groups are entitled to do as well.  Remember also, that Jesus warned people not to judge each other.  That is reserved for God.  Assuming that someone else will go to hell because of something he or she has done is a dangerous thing.

Also it is important to keep in mind the concept of the invisible church. ;)
-William G. McAdoo

TheMcCool

Quote from: T3h luggage on November 04, 2005, 11:24:47 PM
I am honestly tired of people talking about tolerance.  Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the light.  No one comes to the father except through me."  that means that if you believe in the Bible in it's entirety, you also beleive that all other religions do not lead to heaven.  So, we sit back and say, "good luck with that!  I accept your beleifs even though I know you're going to hell."?  No, I think not.  This doesn't mean we go out and beat people up, or torture people of other religions for being different.  So what is this entire tolerance thing about in the first place?

Well, notice that I'm not directly talking about Christianity, but the people who practice it. The point is that a large percentage of Christians don't in fact fit with your view of the reasonable and rational Christian. But I realize the same holds true with most people in general. I didn't bring it up as a point of argument, I was just explaining an earlier statement.

Edit: If you really want to know about religious intolerance, look up news articles on the interweb. It does in fact exist as more than a catchphrase for whiners.

eddie

if jesus could walk on water, why didnt he just run into the ocean to avoid death