• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Strange experience

Started by BladeSabre, April 09, 2005, 11:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BladeSabre

I was in a 4-player game a few minutes ago. The other players' turns often timed out without them appearing to do anything. When I selected an action, my character ended up attempting to do a completely different one. When it was my turn, I selected my commander, but the movement graphics didn't appear, and clicking next to it had no effect. Chat still worked, and the other players said they were OK. I think that what I was seeing on the board was different from what the other players were seeing. For me, one of the other players had a probe and another had gun turrets and got into a hover tank. The fourth player never did anything. Nobody moved for most of the game. Eventually the one in the hover tank moved near to my commander. He then teleported out of the hover tank and killed me.

matlu

>:(

Sounds really really scary. Some synchronization problem. Strange that it happened to only one player, and the others were ok. Currently I have really no idea how could it happen. It just shouldn't, all players are getting exactly same updates from the server. I'll have to check the code.

I also noticed that this game ended up as "ghost game" (old problem, when game remains listed as "in progress" after it finished) I had to restart the server to get rid off it.

It will take some time, but I'll sure find the reason.

BTW do you perhaps remember what action(s) you were performing in this game? Just normal beam-down, or something special?

BladeSabre

The first two turns I tried Fire, and it selected no-action. Then I tried Fire Hound (real) and it did Symbiont. After that I tried a Psi-Lord (real) and it did Holodetect. I don't remember what I did after that.

matlu

Quote from: BladeSabre on April 10, 2005, 12:13:52 AM
The first two turns I tried Fire, and it selected no-action. Then I tried Fire Hound (real) and it did Symbiont. After that I tried a Psi-Lord (real) and it did Holodetect. I don't remember what I did after that.

No idea. Perhaps it for some-unknown-reason assigned actions selected by somebody else to you. I hate it, but maybe I'll have to write some unit-tests to find the problem.

One more question, had you by any chance open 2 games? If your browser runs them in same "java virtual machine", they could somehow influent each other (although I think this is quite unlikely).

BladeSabre

matlu

Found reason! (it was very stupid typo)

- this problem is very likely to happen when new game is created, several people join in, and at least one of them leaves before the game is started.
Will be fixed very soon.

ZAPTONE_Z

hey this used to be a problem at the castle too

they caused more problems when they fixed this tho

matlu

Quote from: ZAPTONE_Z on April 10, 2005, 01:47:40 AM
hey this used to be a problem at the castle too

they caused more problems when they fixed this tho

hm, that's interesting. Anyway I hope my code is bullet-proof now  ;)   (At least till another bug appears)