• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Alien attempt

Started by BladeSabre, April 10, 2005, 11:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BladeSabre

matlu

Simle, nice and cute, I like him (or her) :)  When animated looks a bit funny, it will be included in next update

BladeSabre

Hmm, I thought it was OK when animated, maybe I was cycling it more slowly than in the game. But then I guess it's better to replace all the graphics with *something* as soon as possible, and then there's the option of going round again later. And practice should help, lol.

matlu

I did not mean it in bad way, it really looks great and doesn't need improvements. I highly appreciate that it moves in original way (not just turning head left and right) :) Really good job

BladeSabre

I'm pretty sure I was testing it at the wrong speed anyway, so I'll try to get that right from now on.

What is the delay between the frames meant to be?

[edited to add] Ok, I just tested it at something closer to the correct speed, and that's not what I intended at all. I really do need to fix that...

[and some more]

Actually, it's not so bad (now that I've been staring at it for a while). Like I said, replacing the rest is more urgent.

matlu

Quote from: BladeSabre on April 11, 2005, 08:52:52 PM
What is the delay between the frames meant to be?

uh, good question. Hm. As I said, the game is expected to run at framerate 15 fps, and each animation cell remains displayed during 3 frames. So the animation framerate is 5 fps, which probably leads to 20ms delay between animation frames (if I'm not mistakem)

Actually, it's not so bad (now that I've been staring at it for a while). Like I said, replacing the rest is more urgent.
Actually, it's really great :)

BladeSabre

I think that makes 200ms. Anyway I measured it in-game, and on this computer it's about 150ms. In my opinion it could do with being significantly slower, maybe 300 or 400. I think it would improve all the other animations too, and not just mine.

(My concern is that on a 32x32 bitmap, movement of even one pixel is always going to look too fast at 5 fps, no matter what the artist does with it.)

matlu

Quote from: BladeSabre on April 12, 2005, 12:19:19 AM
(My concern is that on a 32x32 bitmap, movement of even one pixel is always going to look too fast at 5 fps, no matter what the artist does with it.)

I don't think that 5fps animation is too fast. Anyway we can experiment with it. In next version I'll display each picture for 4 frames, it will drop animation frame rate to 3.75 fps. Guess it will a bit bit slow.
(It will be uploaded tomorrow evening)