• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

2 observe or not 2 observe?

Started by matlu, April 11, 2005, 04:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matlu

I was thinking about "observer" feature, and right now I'm not sure, whether it is good idea at all.  I decided to make a separated topic for this.

When somebody enters lobby and there is no one to play with, but there are some games in progress, he will probably immediately start observing some game. Then little bit later someone else may enter the lobby, and again he will just observe  the game. And this way many people can observe a single game, without knowing about each other and that they could better start new game.

There is also another problem, distantly connected to observing.
- What exactly should happen, when game ends? (I mean when there is only one survived commander). Should I allow people to chat as long as they wish, or should they be immediatelly moved to the lobby? If I let them chat, won't this site turn into a chat-site, with many games "in-progress", but started just to chat?

Ok, let's say that people may chat after the game ended. Should this game remain listed among games in-progress? Probably yes, otherwise there is no way to find out that there is somebody, who will likely return to lobby soon.

btw how it worked in old cw, or other jagex games? Were you allowed to chat after game ended? Was such game (which ended) still listed among games in-progress?

ZAPTONE_Z

back at the castle once the game ended it took you right back to the lobby and showed you how many points you won (or lose)

there was never any observe feature

and IMO i dont think its needed much

matlu

Hm. Well. I guess I'll postpone this feature (observing).

I know that most (or all) people who currently visit this site are entirely after Cyber Battles, but you have to understand, that this site will never attract many players, if it has only CB. It also needs other simplier and more common games.

I guess that now I temporary freeze CB development, and I will make at least Checkers, possibly also Go or Chess. It should not take too long, such game can be done in a week. (I still can do minor bugfixes and improvements for CB, but only minor. Sure I'll soon finish check for same IP in a game). I hope that by the time when all original cyberwars graphics is replaced, I'll have finished one or two more games and then I (and you) can start advertising this site somehow.

If this site subsequently manages to attract bigger audience in reasonable time, everything will be fine, everything will make sense and I'll be able continue with improving CB. If this site fails to attract many people..... then..... nah, this won't happen!

zzboots

Quote from: matlu on April 11, 2005, 06:11:20 PM
If this site fails to attract many people..... then..... nah, this won't happen!

Then we begin the ransome notes....

The more games on the website, the better.
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo

TheMcCool

You should make it boot everyone to the lobby after a game ends. Whenever a game ends I'm left wondering whether the other players have gone to the lobby or not.
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.
-The very available Song Flower

(Please Copy and Paste This In Your Profile Wink) <<i dont see the point.  Huh

matlu

Quote from: TheMcCool on April 12, 2005, 02:04:44 AM
You should make it boot everyone to the lobby after a game ends. Whenever a game ends I'm left wondering whether the other players have gone to the lobby or not.

No need to wonder, when anybody lefts the game (because he clicked "exit" button, or because he lost connection or whatever), it prints text notification in chatbox (like: xyz has left the game)

BladeSabre

I think observing would be a nice feature, but it would be a lot of work and it's not urgent, so no need to do it now. If it ever is on the menu again:

QuoteWhen somebody enters lobby and there is no one to play with, but there are some games in progress, he will probably immediately start observing some game. Then little bit later someone else may enter the lobby, and again he will just observe  the game. And this way many people can observe a single game, without knowing about each other and that they could better start new game.

Since it was decided that observers wouldn't be able to chat or see the players' chat, the chat box at the bottom is almost empty. Maybe the observers could get messages there about who enters and leaves the lobby.

QuoteWhat exactly should happen, when game ends? (I mean when there is only one survived commander). Should I allow people to chat as long as they wish, or should they be immediatelly moved to the lobby? If I let them chat, won't this site turn into a chat-site, with many games "in-progress", but started just to chat?

I think it would be nice to be able to chat, so people can talk about the game afterwards if they want to. There's not much time to chat while the game is going, and being able to talk to people adds depth.

QuoteOk, let's say that people may chat after the game ended. Should this game remain listed among games in-progress? Probably yes, otherwise there is no way to find out that there is somebody, who will likely return to lobby soon.

Yes (for the reason you stated) but list the game in a different colour, and don't let any new observers join during this time.

flamingdragon

maybe a seperate chat for observers
Adun Toridas, Executor.

MetalGear822

observer would be nice when nobodies waiting and the choice is wait or leave and its taking along time the choice is more likly to just leave without waiting with observer you could atleast see if the game was almost over

kaoss

Yes would be nice if sitting there doing nothing. As long as they couldnt talk and every1 is kicked when game finishes.

T3h luggage

Quote from: matlu on April 11, 2005, 04:28:52 PM
I was thinking about "observer" feature, and right now I'm not sure, whether it is good idea at all.  I decided to make a separated topic for this.

When somebody enters lobby and there is no one to play with, but there are some games in progress, he will probably immediately start observing some game. Then little bit later someone else may enter the lobby, and again he will just observe  the game. And this way many people can observe a single game, without knowing about each other and that they could better start new game.

There is also another problem, distantly connected to observing.
- What exactly should happen, when game ends? (I mean when there is only one survived commander). Should I allow people to chat as long as they wish, or should they be immediatelly moved to the lobby? If I let them chat, won't this site turn into a chat-site, with many games "in-progress", but started just to chat?

Ok, let's say that people may chat after the game ended. Should this game remain listed among games in-progress? Probably yes, otherwise there is no way to find out that there is somebody, who will likely return to lobby soon.

btw how it worked in old cw, or other jagex games? Were you allowed to chat after game ended? Was such game (which ended) still listed among games in-progress?
I certainly talk a lot, sometimes for a few seconds after a game ends, but It won't turn into a chat-site, for the main reason that looking at a commander watching a tennis match, and maybe a few dancing monsters on a black screen is pretty boring after a while... In short, people start new games continuously, even if they want to chat.

The_Gu3st

Bakster

Dodger

Matlu does bring up some good (if old) points though.

I agree entirely with BladeSabre. I think it should be done like that.  :P

Dodger

Perhaps you didn't notice Matlu, but DONE was in bold!  ;)