• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Country Gone Mad?

Started by Dodger, November 07, 2006, 11:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodger

Am I alone in thinking that our entire country as gone crazy?
(For those that don't know [shame on you!], I am from England).

Starting with the Government...
Firstly, they are in the process of effectively ridding us of fair, democratic justice.

I don't know how justice works in America, I am pretty sure it is the same.
Anyway, we have a jury (which consists of about 10 randomly selected people from the general community), who decide on the verdict of the sentence given to a criminal. That is whether he is guilty, or not guilty.

However, our Government want to get rid of the Jury, so that there is just a Judge, and he alone chooses the verdict of the accused.
Now, call me naive, but does this not make that Judge very susceptible to blackmail or another form of control from the Government?

Secondly, there is now this appalling law, allowing the Government to place any person, suspected of being a terrorist, under house arrest WITHOUT TRIAL!
House arrest means that the accused is not allowed to leave there home, or do anything without the government knowing, or they face going to jail for an undetermined amount of time.

Again, maybe I'm being too untrustworthy here, but to me (and I know many others), this would mean that the Government could accuse almost anyone they want of having terrorist intentions, and put them under house arrest.
So anyone who speaks out against the Government, or who they generally don't like, is at risk from having there freedom stripped away from them.

All I see this as is another form of control from the Government. IMO no one person, or group of people should be able to have this much control over the country. And they never have before now.

Moving on, to political correctness of all things...  :-\

For those of you that don't know, we have gone insanely politically correct in this country. Nowadays you can't even open your mouth without being accused of being racist or 'unpolitically correct'. Pfft, and this is from a country that used to pride itself on it's policies of free speech.
I just took this from the BBC news website:
Quote"Police officers could face disciplinary charges for saying "nitty gritty" because it dates from the slavery era."
That is just one of all the crazy quotes that I could have chosen from...All as insane as the rest.

On that note, something else springs to mind, and that is 'Health And Safety'. Of all the things the government has concocted, this is perhaps the worst, and definitely the most annoying.
Everyone is so afraid of being sued for the slightest of mishaps that may happen to their patrons, that everyone has gone crazy about keeping everyone as safe as possible. In fact, everyone is now calling us the 'Nanny State', as people will go out of their way to see that everyone is perfectly safe.
A recent example, for bonfire night, is as follows:

QuoteHundreds of people celebrated Guy Fawkes night crowded around a VIRTUAL bonfire projected onto a giant screen tonight after health and safety killjoys forced them to scrap the real thing.

Recorded images of a roaring real fire were projected onto a 16ft by 12ft screen mounted on a scaffolding stand - at a cost of £300.

Organisers even used giant heaters, lighting and a smoke machine to give the crowd the taste of a real bonfire night.

The sound of crackling wood was also broadcast on loudspeakers.

I think that says it all. And I swear to you, that is a true story.

Okay, enough said I think. Rant over. Please leave you thoughts and comments.
This is me acting in the vauge hope that we might actually get an intellectual discussion going on this forum for once...

Oh and I posted it in the Tournament forum so that I have administrative rights, and am able to delete whatever spam Bakster might come up with.

flamingdragon

Quote from: Dodger on November 07, 2006, 11:36:28 PM
Starting with the Government...
Firstly, they are in the process of effectively ridding us of fair, democratic justice.

I don't know how justice works in America, I am pretty sure it is the same.
Anyway, we have a jury (which consists of about 10 randomly selected people from the general community), who decide on the verdict of the sentence given to a criminal. That is whether he is guilty, or not guilty.

However, our Government want to get rid of the Jury, so that there is just a Judge, and he alone chooses the verdict of the accused.
Now, call me naive, but does this not make that Judge very susceptible to blackmail or another form of control from the Government?

Holy Crap!  :o, their going to get rid of the Jury! That is tottaly retarded. Your government has gone completely insane! Just a judge deciding is the most retarded thing I have ever heard of. The worst thing that just happened in America is that you can be declared an enemy of the state by speaking out against the war in Iraq or the current legislation.

On that note, something else springs to mind, and that is 'Health And Safety'. Of all the things the government has concocted, this is perhaps the worst, and definitely the most annoying.
Everyone is so afraid of being sued for the slightest of mishaps that may happen to their patrons, that everyone has gone crazy about keeping everyone as safe as possible. In fact, everyone is now calling us the 'Nanny State', as people will go out of their way to see that everyone is perfectly safe.
A recent example, for bonfire night, is as follows:

I think that says it all. And I swear to you, that is a true story.

ROFL, omg that is the most retarded thing I have ever heard, are u sure that's true?  :o

Oh and I posted it in the Tournament forum so that I have administrative rights, and am able to delete whatever spam Bakster might come up with.

Good Plan

<Edit> Fixed quotes  :-*
Adun Toridas, Executor.

Dodger

Thanks for your opinion. Yes, it's the craziest thing I have ever heard too, and this Government was voted into power.... :-\

QuoteROFL, omg that is the most retarded thing I have ever heard, are u sure that's true?

I swear to you, it is true.

flamingdragon

And how much is £300 in $?
That symbol is not even on my keyboard, but I assume a dollar sign isn't on yours either?
Adun Toridas, Executor.

Dodger

In fact the $ sign is on my keyboard. On the number 5. Next to the £.

£300 is probably about $450. I'm guessing here, but I think that's quite accurate.

flamingdragon

Thanks, thats even more rediculous than I thought now.

And wtf is with that? why would they give you a $ but not give Americans a/an £ on their keyboard?
That is pretty retarded.

And how do u have all the symbols then? Which one dont u have?

~!@#$%^&*()_+=-
Adun Toridas, Executor.

Dodger

My 3 key is a £.

The @ symbol and the " symbol are swapped on English layout.
The # symbol is the key right next to the Enter key.

Confusing eh?

flamingdragon

I dont think we'll ever figure this out, the one next to enter on mine is a ' and an " key.
Adun Toridas, Executor.

Dodger

Next one over then. There are two keys next to enter before letters start.

Oh, actually it's not there at all. The # is down by the Z key (assuming you are using qwerty).

flamingdragon

I'm assuming qwerty is the first letters in the top row of the keyboard. I do have this.

and the one two over from enter is a ; and a : key.
The only thing by the z is shift control, windows, and alt.

This is to confusing, I have found a solution:
Here is a pic of what our keyboard configurations look like:

and I assume this is yours?

Adun Toridas, Executor.

Dodger

Weird...
Your left shift is much bigger. And you have an extra key above your enter key :-[.

flamingdragon

It looks like u have another key beside the enter key and I have it above enter.
The key above enter is a \ and a | key.

And come on matlu, most of those posts weren't spam.  >:(
Adun Toridas, Executor.

Dodger

flamingdragon

Matlu deleted like 6 of my posts, all in different sections, even unrelated.
Adun Toridas, Executor.

SabreWulf

Quote from: flamingdragon on November 09, 2006, 12:37:21 AM
Matlu deleted like 6 of my posts, all in different sections, even unrelated.

;)