• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Does Anyone On This Site Know The Rook Rules

Started by NewDuane, December 11, 2006, 02:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewDuane

Folks,

READ THE RULES - You can play the rook anytime!  Read the Duelboard rook rules, read the rules on Wikipedia.. google it.  JUST LEARN TO PLAY!

You idiots that think you can't play the rook whenever you want are simply playing spades with a joker.  Think about it.  What is the POINT of a card called the Rook if it isn't governed by special rules?  Why put it in the Rook deck at all? 

I just got accused of cheating and had the game unrated for simply playing rook by the rules, as I have done ALL MY LIFE.

And the real injustice is I couldn't protest my innonence or refer anyone to the rules BECAUSE I CAN'T CHAT!!!!!!!!!

I mean, really, does anyone around here have a clue?

matlu

Technically, you are right. I created the game according to the standard rules, so that rook can be played anytime. Still for some reason, majority of the people prefer to play RTO and they expect other people to play it as well.

As ultimate solution to this problem I will have to make it an option when creating a table (additional checkbox next to Rated/Unrated and With Ones), but at the moment I have no time for it. Till then, people who want to play RTO should make it very clear before the game starts (especially to people they do not know), and perhaps if you happen to get into such game by coincidence, you could try to "adapt" and play RTO for a while.

NewDuane

<i>Technically, you are right. I created the game according to the standard rules, so that rook can be played anytime. Still for some reason, majority of the people prefer to play RTO and they expect other people to play it as well.

As ultimate solution to this problem I will have to make it an option when creating a table (additional checkbox next to Rated/Unrated and With Ones), but at the moment I have no time for it. Till then, people who want to play RTO should make it very clear before the game starts (especially to people they do not know), and perhaps if you happen to get into such game by coincidence, you could try to "adapt" and play RTO for a while.</i>

*Technically* I'm right?  How about technically, everyone else is right, meaning if they want to change the rules to suit their own bid-happy style and then enforce it nazi-like against folks THAT CANNOT TALK, then they can do that.

No,*I'm right technically OR OTHERWISE.

An ultimate solution to this problem is for you to allow new people to chat like human beings.  I suspect you are running off a lot of adults that would otherwise remain and becoming contributing members.  I'm pretty near there myself.

As per your solution "Till then, people who want to play RTO should make it very clear before the game starts" how would you advise those of who cannot make ANYTHING clear because we cannot chat, how would you suggest we engage in these meaningful conversations.  Is there special actions we can engage in to express ourselves?  Perhaps Stand / Sit / Stand / Sit - morse code with the actions button?

What do you suggest?

Did you read my email to duelboard@directbox.com ?  Are you interested in earning $50 for simply turning on my player chat so I can explain to my partner that I just lost my connection and didn't abandon the game?

flamingdragon

How about u show Matlu a little respect for letting u play rook here?
He was taking your side and u still want to argue with him b/c he used the word "technically".
And before he blocked chat to "new" players, it was worse b/c people were spamming the chat.
I think u can wait a little while until you can chat, I suggest u do that.
And who cares that some other person thinks u abandoned the game? Big freakin deal, get over it.
Adun Toridas, Executor.

NewDuane

How exactly am I failing to show respect?  Pointing out that the majority is playing in violation of the rules and there is no way for a new user to alter the paradigm (or really, to even KNOW about the paradigm, in the most casual of circumstances, after all, we certainly can't ask like other human beings.)

Offering to make a $50 donation for the same privilege that someone who got here six months earlier got for free?

Asking for a simple clarification of the rules to be placed on the main page so folks know they are reducing rook to a game of spades with a joker?

flamingdragon

The problem is u are bribing him w/ a donation, thats not really a donation now is it?  ::)
And the blocked chat is neccesarry, why do u think he put it in place? B/C he doesn't like u?  ::)
The clarification on the rules would be a good thing, but when he agreed w/ u, u still argued w/ him.  ::)
Adun Toridas, Executor.

NewDuane

You call it bribery, I call it business.  And it certainly IS a donation if the only way I can give him that money is through the process he has set up of DONATING THROUGH PAYPAL.

Now, you'd be entirely correct if he had a BRIBE ME button set up with a link to PayPal.

The blocked chat is actually not a solution to long-term community building.  It is a solution if you've got an initial cadre of users who want to insulate themselves in a cliquish manner.  For this goal, imposing arbitrary (<- and I mean that in every since of the word, look it up) restrictions on new users is an ideal solution.  It serves to demorialize new users and set them up in a secondary and subjugated status to tenured users.  It isn't healthy for long-term community building but it plays to the feeling of privilege enjoyed by tenured users.

And really, if the administrators were concerned about someone's sensibilities being offended, why are you allowed unmitigated access to offend in the forums?

Finally, he didn't agree with me.  He tried to split the difference by making a casual nod to the rules but then appealing to mob rule.

flamingdragon

Bla, bla, bla.  :P

It doesn't matter what the button says, it's what u use it for.  ::)
Adun Toridas, Executor.

flamingdragon

Quote from: NewDuane on December 12, 2006, 03:31:45 AM
And really, if the administrators were concerned about someone's sensibilities being offended, why are you allowed unmitigated access to offend in the forums?

Maybe because they dont do that.  ::)
And if they do must of the time they're joking and most of it gets deleted by Matlu anyways.

The blocked chat is actually not a solution to long-term community building.  It is a solution if you've got an initial cadre of users who want to insulate themselves in a cliquish manner.  For this goal, imposing arbitrary (<- and I mean that in every since of the word, look it up) restrictions on new users is an ideal solution.  It serves to demorialize new users and set them up in a secondary and subjugated status to tenured users.  It isn't healthy for long-term community building but it plays to the feeling of privilege enjoyed by tenured users.

And it's not a long-term solution, it is a short-term one, bacause Matlu is to busy to implement a long-term solution.

Finally, he didn't agree with me.  He tried to split the difference by making a casual nod to the rules but then appealing to mob rule.

Finally, who cares, he said he would fix the problem.

Adun Toridas, Executor.

NewDuane

flamingdragon

You only read my last sentence didn't u?  ::)
And u're trying to use my own point against me when ur the one who was continuing on after he said he'd fix it.
Adun Toridas, Executor.

hammike

RTO (rook as trump only) is the way we have played rook online since the beginning of Games.com about 7 years ago.  I am sorry if it offends you, however do you expect everyone to change the way they play to suit you, one person?  If you do not like playing by RTO, when someone says RTO at the beginning of the game.....leave the table.  Simple solution to a simple problem.
eaten today? thank a farmer!

Dodger

Quote from: NewDuane on September 11, 1973, 10:51:10 AM
And really, if the administrators were concerned about someone's sensibilities being offended, why are you allowed unmitigated access to offend in the forum

Several heavy forum users were banned in he last couple of months for offensive posts. One of which donated a reasonable sum of money to Matlu previously for his efforts. My point is, why should you receive privileges because you can afford to give Matlu money?
That's all I really have to say about that....

flamingdragon

Adun Toridas, Executor.

NewDuane

Hammike: RTO (rook as trump only) is the way we have played rook online since the beginning of Games.com about 7 years ago.  I am sorry if it offends you, however do you expect everyone to change the way they play to suit you, one person?  If you do not like playing by RTO, when someone says RTO at the beginning of the game.....leave the table.  Simple solution to a simple problem.

I appreciate you bringing up yet another problem with your illegal gameplay.  When one plays by regulation Rook rules and trumps any time with the Rook, whether or not they have the suit that led, THEY ARE PLAYING THE ROOK AS TRUMP ONLY.   So your acronym is a misnomer.

If you are going to pollute the game with special rules that destroy the essence of the game, special rules that invalidate the reason for even having a bird card, the very least you could do is name your special rule acronym appropriately, something like MFSEIYHTRWCOBPAPRR (Must Follow Suit Even If You Have The Rook Which Can Ordinarily Be Played Anytime Per Regulation Rules.)

And if you ever decide to start playing Rook by the rules, you may find yourself in a much more strategic and much more challenging game.