• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Alien Goo

Started by matlu, April 30, 2005, 12:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matlu

I finished Alien Goo. It is quite complex and complicated thing. I tried to test it, but maybe I overlooked something and it has some bugs. I hope there is no critical bug (which could crash the game).  For few days you will always get it into your hand, to be able to test it properly.

Here is how it works:
- it spreads in similar way as fire, but it does not die out
- it cannot hurt the person who created it (nor his/her monster)
- if it spreads over field with enemy commander, he is instantly killed (even if he was in a transport!)
- if it spreads over enemy monster, the monster becomes covered & trapped (there will be notification in quick-info)
- it can be attacked and destroyed. It has defence 6. Trapped monster will be released when Goo is killed.

matlu

Quote from: zzboots on April 30, 2005, 08:32:00 PM
Why can't it die out?

Good question, I have no idea  ;D

ZAPTONE_Z

i think 6 def is a bit high

it is just goo after all

matlu

in cyberwars it was 7.

I personally don't care, if people want it for example 5, I can make it 5

flamingdragon

Quote from: zzboots on April 30, 2005, 08:32:00 PM
Why can't it die out?

Because it's alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adun Toridas, Executor.

ZAPTONE_Z

Quote from: matlu on April 30, 2005, 11:12:30 PM
in cyberwars it was 7.

is that right?

damn

i guess it doesnt matter then
best to leave as is

MidKnight

After playing a couple of games with Alien Blob or "Alien Goo" I see a few problems and would like to make some suggestions as to its workings.

Because in CyberWars Alien Goo spreads much faster than fire, as a result - at least in the original CyberWars... Alien Goo could eat the owner as well as enemies. Right now, Alien Goo can easily be used as a winning mechanism. All you have to do is beam it down early in the game and by move 20, half of the board will be covered - easy win.

Defense of 6 is slightly low... they are killed rather easily. I don't mind though. 7 seems more reliable and preferred however.

In one of the games, my Alien Goo was killed after it was beamed. Like the last one was killed. In the original CyberWars I don't think you can do that. You could kill it all down to the last one... but... that's it.

Goos move... currently I think the spawn rate is so high that the goos can't get off of things once they covered. More rather, more goos just constantly appear. So higher chance of multiply %, but also a higher chance of delete % should solve the problem I think.

Mostly it's the Goo should be able to kill oneself aspect...

kaoss

matlu

I see no point in trying to make this game same or very similar to CW, but... how it worked in CW? Could it kill the owner or not?  I did not ask, I just pressumed it worked same as fire....

kaoss

Yes it could kill other commanders and also if someone had beamed down a holo and it was caught by goo after being covered it turned into a beam and no longer a holo.

BladeSabre

Goo was like fire, and wouldn't eat the owner or his units.

Holos being turned to real by goo was an added bit of fun.

And there is a point to making it very similar to CW - some of us are here because we miss CW and want it back :(

matlu

QuoteGoo was like fire, and wouldn't eat the owner or his units.

so it's ok, it works this way

QuoteHolos being turned to real by goo was an added bit of fun.

This was just a bug, no doubt about it

QuoteAnd there is a point to making it very similar to CW - some of us are here because we miss CW and want it back :(

(no comment)

MidKnight

No, the goos kill the commander in the original game. I'm 100% sure of this because I was killed by my own goo once in the original game.

But whatever.... I guess if you wanna leave it this way I can't say anything about it. I really dislike it though because goo grows a little too quickly if it isn't eating your own men.

ZAPTONE_Z

your own fire or blob never hurt the owner

you prolly just got killed by someone elses
(they look the same you know)

matlu

Maybe the speed of Goo & Fire could be adaptive? From the beginning it could spread relatively fast, but when it spreaded over let's say 10 fields it could slow down a bit. It's easy to do.