• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Mobile gaming !!!???

Started by matlu, May 01, 2005, 03:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think about mobile multiplayer gaming? (read the post below)

Mobile multiplayer version of Checkers / Connect 4 would be cool
8 (34.8%)
Mobile multiplayer version of Cyber Battles would be cool
17 (73.9%)
Mobile multiplayer version of some other game (maybe RPG?) would be cool
6 (26.1%)
I don't think that mobile gaming has future
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

matlu

Few days ago I bought new fancy mobile phone with Java support (Sony-Ericsson k700i) and I was really impressed by its built-in games. Well, the display resolution is only something like 170x220 pixels, so you cannot expect wonders, but I was really impressed.

Then I realized, that mobile multiplayer gaming is PROBABLY going to come into fashion soon (or it already came? I don't know, there are sure some mobile multiplayer online games already, but I havent's seen them)

My next thought was: what about creating mobile online-multiplayer version of some game? It's just an idea, I don't even know how it could/should work. Probably:
1. I would have to create special game client for mobiles
2. Player would have to download this game into his mobile
3. He would have to connect to the game site using WAP
4. He could start playing... ?

What do you think about this idea? Vote, post your comments!

kaoss

umm been done and too exp on wap (connection). good idea though

matlu

Quote from: kaoss on May 01, 2005, 05:34:43 PM
umm been done and too exp on wap (connection). good idea though

Sure, but it is quite new technology, and the prices are ALWAYS getting down. What is expansive today may become affordable few months later, and it may easily become cheap next year...

For example I remember LCD TFT flat displays - they costed bloody money just 2 years ago. The prices dropped to 20% of what it costed before...

ZAPTONE_Z

sounds nice

i dont have the internet on my phone
only cuz its too expensive

matlu

Quote from: ZAPTONE_Z on May 01, 2005, 07:09:27 PM
sounds nice

i dont have the internet on my phone
only cuz its too expensive

In fact I don't have internet on my phone either, but I think that the prices are likely going to decrease soon

kaoss

If ya got the time why not ;)

flamingdragon

I have internet on my phone ;D
Adun Toridas, Executor.

T3h luggage

It costs a metric Crabload from what I hear.  I think Wi Fi has a better future, really.

matlu

Quote from: T3h luggage on May 05, 2005, 04:07:33 AM
It costs a metric Crabload from what I hear.  I think Wi Fi has a better future, really.

The point is, that you can carry your mobile (almost) everywhere. Computer with wifi you cannot.

Ok, maybe I'll make some off-line mobile game first

Parsley

A game like cyberwars may work (if the graphics are clear enough) as a turn-by-turn, rather than real time mobile game.

Problem with online games is that the baud rate for mobiles is rarely above 4600-5800, and is prohibitively costly to keep uplinked. 

UMTS/3rd gen will be able to handle it, but then it'll jump past java based online games and straight thru to higher end codes (I would imagine).

Could be worth discussing though.  Have a brother who does bus.dev. on mobile gaming for Nokia, will ask him what he thinks when he's next around.

Get a proposal drawn up & send it to me at dogmarisk@hotmail.com - I'll pass them on to him.

matlu

Quote from: Parsley on May 05, 2005, 05:01:01 PM
A game like cyberwars may work (if the graphics are clear enough) as a turn-by-turn, rather than real time mobile game.

not so sure about cyberwars, but Checker, Connect4, Reversi would surely work fine

Problem with online games is that the baud rate for mobiles is rarely above 4600-5800, and is prohibitively costly to keep uplinked. 

I'm sendng just few bytes per second. (Main bandwith eater will be probably chat) Bandwidth is sure no problem for turn based game.  (Costs probably IS problem :) )

QuoteUMTS/3rd gen will be able to handle it, but then it'll jump past java based online games and straight thru to higher end codes (I would imagine).

Hm, java sure has big advantages, compared to other technologies. It's hard to predict which technology is going to win in the end.

Could be worth discussing though.  Have a brother who does bus.dev. on mobile gaming for Nokia, will ask him what he thinks when he's next around.

Get a proposal drawn up & send it to me at dogmarisk@hotmail.com - I'll pass them on to him.

Funny, I tried to get a job in Nokia two years ago, but my CV probably did not make it through Human Resources :)

I'm not sure what exactly I should/could discuss with your brother, because this idea is not new and such games surely already exist, but I'll send you email anyway.

Parsley

Now that's something that has always surprised me...
The fact that there has been no sms based chat room feature implemented for mobile phones (bagsy copyright in case anyone gets any ideas  ;) )

matlu

Quote from: Parsley on May 05, 2005, 07:33:11 PM
Now that's something that has always surprised me...
The fact that there has been no sms based chat room feature implemented for mobile phones (bagsy copyright in case anyone gets any ideas  ;) )

I think there IS something like it. I've never used it myself.

spongebob

ugh, playing cyber battles on a phone = screen is too small + crap connection

loose signal = lose game too  :-\

Stitchy_11

i think a mobile version of cyber battles would be excelent, and a great way to promote the site. There would surely be no leader-board, but i know that many people from my area would atleast try it out! If you get into a developing and widelt growing area such as cell phone gaming you could possibly benefit from some sufficient kick-backs!
Colt 45 n two zig-zags... baby thats all we need