• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Quo Vadis, Cyber Battles?

Started by matlu, May 14, 2005, 11:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ska*monkey

I have to say that I agree with zzboots' comment that the game is not yet complete without some of the defensive items mentioned. I think we should wait until those have been implemented before starting to mess about with the core game dynamics.

The game is still in development and it is wrong to criticise the "fairness" of it when it is not yet complete.

Also, the quick win strategy is part of what made the original cyber wars so much fun. If you are a good player there are almost always ways to counter, or at least anticipate, this kind of strategy (even in one on ones).

Please don't mess with the core game dynamics until all the items have been put in place!

Bakster

Well if you're not a good player, you die real quick every game, and you learn nothing.

tiraspol

BlitzJoker

Quote from: Bakster on May 16, 2005, 06:58:58 PM
Well if you're not a good player, you die real quick every game, and you learn nothing.

You see how you died, you see patterns, you think of a counter.......

dragon75

Quote from: zzboots on May 14, 2005, 08:54:53 PM
Chaos was never intended to be a long, drawn  out game.  The game is ment to be fast paced version of chess.  Slowing things down just to make them "fair" will not improve the game. 

I keep telling you that the game isn't complete until virus, electropulse, disrupter, and disintigrator are in the game.  These are defensive items and will help balance things out.

i agree with ZZ. i hve been a victim of that "kill em fast" bulls**t, so i want somethign done about it. it's ment to have fun. those defensive items will help balance out the game, and that beaming curve will ruin the game. i vote no for beaming curve, and rally with ZZ about the defensive actions.
"castle it was called, and many did play. cyber wars, battlethingz, MM, crypt. the games i did play and it is for the love of the game i stay."-me

T3h luggage

Look, I'll probably stop playing CB if this is put in...
Really, CB is a game of luck.  You got to live with it.  The whole fun of the game is beaming in a real flying slime first turn in a 4-player game, or holodetecting a spider in the same turn it was beamed in.  That is real skill.
Basically, it's not worth upsetting a lot of people because of one whiny player. It's not like the points count for anything.

Parsley

I wouldn't go that far.  Let's recap...

It's a fundamental change.
Newbies want it, Oldskool don't.

This game is aimed to attract in new players.
But Oldskool should also be catered for, as this is their baby.

This change may work, it may not.
The only way to find out is if we try it.

& the final decision is Matlu's. 
Once it's been taken, objective opinions only, no flaming or whinging.

matlu

QuoteThis change may work, it may not.
The only way to find out is if we try it.

Exactly. I guess I'll just give it a try, for few days. Don't freak out, if it proves wrong it will go away. Just.. give it a chance :)
(It will take some time to make it)

TheMcCool

The whole fun of the game is beaming in a real flying slime first turn in a 4-player game, or holodetecting a spider in the same turn it was beamed in.  That is real skill.

Actually no that is not skill. It's called luck. Playing the odds... taking guesses at what your opponent is planning. There are also little mind-games you can play to try to influence what your opponent will do, but even that sort of thing is still gambling. I mean I sure used to feel nifty when I did those kinds of things back in the day, but I recognize that it's neither skill nor actual strategy. I think that Matlu's proposed change would shift the game a little bit away from being a game of chance, and make it a little more strategic (or boring, I guess we'll see.) I don't have an opinion on whether it's a good change or not, but I think it's worth giving a try.
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.
-The very available Song Flower

(Please Copy and Paste This In Your Profile Wink) <<i dont see the point.  Huh

Bakster

What change are we discussing?

BlitzJoker

Quote from: Parsley on May 17, 2005, 11:51:06 AM
It's a fundamental change.
Newbies want it, Oldskool don't.

Subsituting the label "Oldskool" with experience(because, essentially, that is the only difference between us and the new players) You will see the statement

"Newbies want it, Experienced Players don't." and it's true this feature would cater to new players......but you must think, what will happen when these new players become experienced? They will most likely see how bad and restricting of an idea it is, and leave the game.

T3h luggage

Quote from: TheMcCool on May 17, 2005, 05:38:00 PM
The whole fun of the game is beaming in a real flying slime first turn in a 4-player game, or holodetecting a spider in the same turn it was beamed in.  That is real skill.

Actually no that is not skill. It's called luck. Playing the odds... taking guesses at what your opponent is planning. There are also little mind-games you can play to try to influence what your opponent will do, but even that sort of thing is still gambling. I mean I sure used to feel nifty when I did those kinds of things back in the day, but I recognize that it's neither skill nor actual strategy. I think that Matlu's proposed change would shift the game a little bit away from being a game of chance, and make it a little more strategic (or boring, I guess we'll see.) I don't have an opinion on whether it's a good change or not, but I think it's worth giving a try.
Really, predicting an opponents actions and responding before they make them is the only skill I ever see in CB, except maybe knowing what to beam when, which is just fundamental.  Basically, you have a good strategy, but it will almost always hinge on chance.  If it didn't, it would be rather boring.  I mean, really.  So, in conclusion, collect your clovers and keep your salt verticle, kids.

Chase

O god Matlu please don't include beaming curve! A better idea would be a new

section of the site called tactics or something where advanced players could

talk about strategies and counter strategies. The noobies could read the

articles and learn how to deal with 1st turn rushing and stuff. For example:

build beacons, jeep, tank, fire fox, anything that could hide your commander so he doesn't get attacked directly on the second turn.

flamingdragon

umm.... Who would give away their winning stratergies?
Adun Toridas, Executor.

Parsley

Possible alternatives (Not saying they're particularly good - just trying to throw something constructive into this string):

People get 3 (non-hologram) cards to play in their first turn.
That way they can set out an 'opening move'

People can play only 'defensive' cards on their first turn

A shorter beam down curve - perhaps 75-50-ALL

---------------------------

Note: I believe Matlu's idea could also work, I'm not trying to disparage it.