• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

56k player timeouts

Started by Llama, May 14, 2005, 08:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Llama

Oftentimes in the middle of a game I'm kicked out and back to the 'new user, existing user, guest' screen, and can immediately log back in. This has caused me to lose many points beyond my control. I suspect it to be caused because of the 56k dialup connection I have, and was wondering if it would be possible to set your system up to not timeout connections as quickly as they do. I often am kicked out after just a few seconds, not even a full turn's time, and think that it should at least wait 15 seconds before kicking someone back to the join screen and giving their points to others.

flamingdragon

I think u should just make it so it doesnt kick at all. I am still occasionally kicked out near the ends of games.
Adun Toridas, Executor.

matlu

this was already discussed. The game doesn't need longer timeout, the game needs to be able to reconnect you automatically when you lost connection, and joining you to the game you were just playing, "as if nothing happened".

The problem is, that it's not easy to do, and I'm way too busy, I also have full time job, and many other things to care about :(

TheMcCool

This happened to me when I was trying it out just now. The first time I was automatically reconnected, that worked great. But then later in the game I was just all of a sudden booted to the login screen, no warning or reconnection, and I lost the points in a game I was about to win. 2 whole points! Damn it all!
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.
-The very available Song Flower

(Please Copy and Paste This In Your Profile Wink) <<i dont see the point.  Huh

matlu

Quote from: TheMcCool on May 17, 2005, 06:12:47 PM
This happened to me when I was trying it out just now. The first time I was automatically reconnected, that worked great. But then later in the game I was just all of a sudden booted to the login screen, no warning or reconnection, and I lost the points in a game I was about to win. 2 whole points! Damn it all!

- no idea, this should not happen, it should ALWAYS try to reconnect you
- did you try to login manually when it booted you to intro screen? It should also be able to reconnect you to the game you played

(btw, anyway, I'm quite glad that it worked at least once  :)  )

matlu

Looking in my logs, I see that you succesfully reconected twice today.

First time, you were probably in the lobby (you were not playing a game). Few minutes later you started a game with theone656, and soon you lost connection again. Well, it looks like server reconnected you succesully again, but ... something went wrong, because you timed out after exactly 5 minutes (which is normal timeout peried).

I think there was something VERY wrong with your connection, and the second reconnecting message did not make it to your computer for some reason.

BTW, are you sure that it booted you to login screen without warning? It SHOULD show reconnecting message, at least for few seconds. If it FAILS to reconnect you, THEN it boots you to login screen
(it least I hope :)  )

- btw I believe that if you tried to login manually, it would still connect you to the game you were playing

TheMcCool

I did login manually right away. It just put me in the lobby with my points lost, and I went on to play a non-rated game. And yeah there was no warning. There was something very wrong with my connection, though, at the time. ;) Most of the time my connection is great, but very occasionally I will start losing sync and getting disconnected for periods of a few to several seconds at a time. Some kind of electrical interference in the neighborhood. That was happening when this took place. Actually part of the reason I decided to play was to test out if your reconnection thing worked.
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.
-The very available Song Flower

(Please Copy and Paste This In Your Profile Wink) <<i dont see the point.  Huh

zzboots

A bit off topic but oh well.

Llama, you have the sweetest Duelboard name, period.  :D
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo