• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Ask Permission

Started by Chase, May 16, 2005, 01:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chase

I just had a crazy idea. Why doesn't matlu just ask jagex if they have a copyright on cyber wars or if he could use the old graphics in a clone he is going to make. He doesn't have to tell them he already made one. If they say its okay, we could save a lot of time. Give me some feedback whether this is a good idea.

Edit: If not, we could continue what were doing.

T3h luggage

a couple reasons...
First: how could he contact jagex?  they get a metric crabload of email from crazed Runescape fans.  It's simply not easy.  Basically, easier said than done.
Second: new graphics are basically better.  They have shading.
Third: this should be in the questions forum, I think.  Doesn't really matter though.

Chase

You are right, in some ways.
1. If matlu asks enough, he will eventually get through to someone.
2. It would help because not all the graphics need to be changed, and we could keep all the names.
3. This is related to graphics because if he gets permission, we wont need as many new graphics.

BlitzJoker

He could contact Jagex easily through business@jagex.com(which warns runescape players not to e-mail that particular address about problems). Jagex has responded to previous e-mails(not pertaining to DuelBoard, but before DuelBoard came along), but they only responded when they had a chance to make money. I doubt matlu would want to pay them when he is getting just as good free graphics from others.

T3h luggage

Quote from: Chase on May 16, 2005, 03:34:53 AM
You are right, in some ways.
1. If matlu asks enough, he will eventually get through to someone.
2. It would help because not all the graphics need to be changed, and we could keep all the names.
3. This is related to graphics because if he gets permission, we wont need as many new graphics.

true, but we don't have to change the names, as they were taken from the movie "Alien."

matlu

QuoteHe could contact Jagex easily through business@jagex.com
- not sure if BUSINESS@something is best place to ask for getting something for free
- I'm afraid that they could say, that they explicitly don't want to have any clones around

tiraspol

Quote from: T3h luggage on May 16, 2005, 02:52:05 AM
a couple reasons...
First: how could he contact jagex?

The Operator?? Or 411?  ;)

Chase

Matlu, even if they say that, we're ok. This game is would not go completely public until graphics/names are changed. So it would not be a clone of cyber wars, it would be cyber battles, a whole new game. Anyway, it was just a suggestion you could add to the 3 million others you are currently thinking about.  :P