• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Question

Started by Jason, September 13, 2008, 08:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

This forum really seems dead...it's really sad.  And I constantly check out the Cyber Battles Game but no one is every playing it....

So, my question is this.  I would like to try to revive the Cyber Battles Game myself.  Is there anyway I could purchase the game from whoever owns the version on this site?  If you do sell it to me, you'd still have full rights to the game to do as you please with it.

Logan17

Maybe you should describe what you plan to do to revive the game.

You would have a hard time of it, of that you can be sure  ;)

Jason

My first plan would be to get the version changed from java to Flash.  I would also have an intelligent AI added to the game that would allow players to play against AI's of varying difficulty - this would help the give the game playability when there are no or only a few human players logged in.  I would then provide an embed code to some of the most popular game sites on the net.  This would allow a massive influx of players all on the same system.  As the system increased in popularity, I would begin a prize system with the game through a ladder/league system.  Anyway, this is all pointless if the owner of the game is unwilling to sell shared rights with me.  As it is now, the game is simply collecting cobb webs which is a shame considering the immense and valuable work put into it and the eternal potential of the game itself.

matlu

Hello,

changing from java to flash basically means to write it all new from scratch (at least the client-side). You don't really need my sources, you can just sit and write your own.
BTW I also planned to write flash version of cyberbattles, but I need to finish some things on the "rook" game first. I will maybe do it later, if I have time.
Regarding the server-side, you could try to use some existing 3rd party "middleware" like "smartfox server" or "electroserver". I never used them so I cannot really recommend them, I just know they exist. They should be able to take care or network communication, so all you have to do is to write the game logic.

Also, I'm not sure whether you are aware of fact, that to run a multiplayer game you need your own dedicated server, which is quite expensive thing. If you don't have dedicated server computer, don't even think about having multiplayer game.

QuoteI would then provide an embed code to some of the most popular game sites on the net.
I don't exactly understand what do you mean.... but it's probably not as simple as you imagine.

Jason

Quote from: matlu on September 21, 2008, 06:37:04 PM
Hello,

changing from java to flash basically means to write it all new from scratch (at least the client-side). You don't really need my sources, you can just sit and write your own.
BTW I also planned to write flash version of cyberbattles, but I need to finish some things on the "rook" game first. I will maybe do it later, if I have time.
Regarding the server-side, you could try to use some existing 3rd party "middleware" like "smartfox server" or "electroserver". I never used them so I cannot really recommend them, I just know they exist. They should be able to take care or network communication, so all you have to do is to write the game logic.

Also, I'm not sure whether you are aware of fact, that to run a multiplayer game you need your own dedicated server, which is quite expensive thing. If you don't have dedicated server computer, don't even think about having multiplayer game.
I don't exactly understand what do you mean.... but it's probably not as simple as you imagine.

Then I would need permission from you to use the same graphics as you do (They are incredible and you would be credited within the game for them along with a url to your website).

As far as the portion you don't understand...it's quite easy.  A simple html code will allow the flash game to be placed onto any website while operating from my serving.  A lot of flash game developers use this method of exposing their work and trying to garnish a reputation in the gaming industry.  I would use the same method simply to increase membership.  I've helped in the popularizing of other games before so this wouldn't be very difficult for me to do and I already have a few contacts I could use in getting my flash version out there if the opportunity were made available to me.

T3h luggage

Actually, you'd need permission from me for the graphics... xD
And yes, you may certainly use them, though credit to "Redshrike" (my normal username, not the craazzy one I use here) would be much appreciated.

Dodger

Bloody good graphics they are too :)

Aw, I always thought you were teh luggage everywhere :( You've ruined my day.

tigger2212

Can anyone help me I have tried to get an account to play the bird and I never get a verification response.

Jason

Quote from: T3h luggage on September 22, 2008, 02:30:44 PM
Actually, you'd need permission from me for the graphics... xD
And yes, you may certainly use them, though credit to "Redshrike" (my normal username, not the craazzy one I use here) would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much.  Those are absolutely awesome graphics and was greatly impressed by them.  They are, in my opinion, better than the graphics from the most recent popular version (that yahoo went and removed).  Yahoo lost a regular visitor when they did that.

Dodger

Quote from: Jason on September 25, 2008, 03:36:17 PM
They are, in my opinion, better than the graphics from the most recent popular version (that yahoo went and removed).  Yahoo lost a regular visitor when they did that.

Not hard to be better than those :D They were terrible!

Quote from: tigger2212 on September 25, 2008, 01:59:09 PM
Can anyone help me I have tried to get an account to play the bird and I never get a verification response.

...For some reason you e-mailed me asking for me to give you an account :-\ Can't help you there I'm afraid! ;D