• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Private messages: friend or foe?

Started by matlu, May 22, 2005, 12:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want to have private messages?

yes
no

matlu

Do you want to have private messages (in game chatbox)? I can think of many pros, and many cons.

Pros - are pretty obvious
Cons -
1. it may increase unfair 'teaming'
2. I guess that "gametable" should be "public" place, if you played similar game in real life, if would be considered very unpolite to talk secretly about ANYTHING during a game

ultswordsman

i say yes because it would help tournys , when ur doin 2 v 2  u can just say    "i have nothing strong what do u have" without the other 2 knowing ur weak and u can also use it to find people in games

exiledragon

I say yes, teaming is usualy puplic and obvious anyway.
Game user name = AnkleBiter
Calling somone overconfident/unskilled when you are losing is NOT good timing.
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript order of the stick

tiraspol

Uhh. It would increase "teaming". Hmmm. If someone wanted to team up with someone, like if you knew the person you would want to team up with, You could do that via AIM, MSN, Yahoo Messenger, ICQ, whatever they have in common. Plus I vote for yes, becasue it would definately help the tournaments out. 2 on 2, or even to tell a Board Member who won, becasue sometimes they will be in games too. And to get the scores down, they would need to PM them. Private Messages for teh win.

raikoukami

i also would say yes...
Just for the heck of it

zozefup

add private messages,  but you cant speak privately to anyone playing in a game with you.  That way you get the pros and none of the cons. 

It would still be unfair though, because as many of you have already found out..  I team up and speak privately though msn messenger.   (I know it's not fair, but we both suck and often lose 2 vs 1  lol)

Rob Gambino

BladeSabre

Quoteadd private messages,  but you cant speak privately to anyone playing in a game with you.  That way you get the pros and none of the cons.

I don't see many pros to that. It seems to defeat the object rather. And maybe it isn't polite for people to talk privately in game, but if they want to badly enough, they'll just use instant messengers. So the teamers would still be able to talk, but people who just wanted to chat would be restricted.

zozefup

Well the pros would be that I could see if someone was in a game or not by sending them a message.  Also,  I could tell a friend when I'm going to be done with your game so they could wait for me.  I don't think there is a way to stop teaming.. but not having private messages would make it more difficult to team.

SiR gUt

Well im just going to say that if I were to team someone like 2 on 1, I would just tell them so they are ready. Im not no wuss that just goes for them with someone else. So I think teaming really has nothing to do with private messages.
THE GUEST IS  HAVING HIS PERIOD!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHA 

THE MIAMI HEAT HAD THE WORST FREE THROW SHOOTING PERCENTAGE IN FINALS HISTORY 37% AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AND DALLAS MAVERICKS IS GOING TO SWEEP THE MIAMI HEAT AHAHAHAHA

matlu

jeez, people it looks like you really want these messages, ok you'll have them (within 2 days)

zozefup

we will be able to send private messages to anyone in a game or out of a game right?  And what if there playing checkers and were playing cyber wars?

BlitzJoker

Quote from: zozefup on June 21, 2005, 11:42:40 PM
we will be able to send private messages to anyone in a game or out of a game right? And what if there playing checkers and were playing cyber wars?

It's all one client, so yes, you should be able to send messages to everyone reguardless of which game they are in.

matlu

Ok, it's there. The syntax is:
/tell nick message (it must start with slash)

there may be some minor glitches (like that you can send a message to yourself, if you think it's  funny), but it should work