• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

battle thingz

Started by Adam, July 10, 2005, 04:58:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bakster

Quote from: matlu on July 13, 2005, 05:40:43 PM
lol, good to have you here, Bakster :) I couldn't say it better myself  ;D

No problem ;D

Bakster

I think chess is 100% skill. There's no luck about it. There are no dice, no cards, no games of chance. It's just pure skill.

If you make a blunder (a one-move mate), it's not luck, it's your fault for not seeing it. If your opponent doesn't capitalize, it's not luck, it's his fault for not seeing it.

Adam

any multiplayer game involves luck... people get lucky all the time playing me in that they find an opponent that sucks :D

devlin

Quote from: Adam on July 30, 2005, 03:16:18 PM
any multiplayer game involves luck... people get lucky all the time playing me in that they find an opponent that sucks :D

couldnt agree more :D

Prince_Death

Dude we do not have quite enough people to do battle thingz yet...battle thingz is a very complicated game...its like...you have a certain power level..and u really dont want to go against someone else unless they r around ur power...there used to be alot playing..but u need to gather alot of points when ur at a low level to get up in like the 400s...so it takes awhile but very addictive...and when u getv up in the 400s u mine as well just like stop and make a new name cuz u'll pwn all :)

smallguy4422

Cyber battles takes I think way more luck than battle things because it is based on percentages that aren't always right...Like when a regular commander can live from a Predator.

Drakonus

Yo matlu. I would be interested in paying to have it made along with crypt. If we could work on a joint partnership i would like to either A:) start a new site that's hosted by a better company, or B:) find a way to fix all of the stupid disconnection problems because im absolutely sick of it... Ive got a new job making really good money so you should e-mail me so we can work out the details. Battle things was my absolute favorite game....it kicked ass. i was like 12 at the time but i really miss it and would like to see it brought back. if we can fix all the current bugs with CB, and can get battle things and crypt re-made, i know i can get at least 400 players on regularly if not more. I have 550 saved e-mails from a petition i made and had sent to yahoo to have them bring it back.

Drakonus

My e-mail is kendudley1942@gmail.com. also has some really wierd problems playing cb today....kept on getting dc'd in the middle of games, but it would let me log back on and resume the game, only to get dc'd again 30 seconds later...went through this like 30 times before i gave up and rebooted. then i log in again, and my guy's in the middle of a game i had never started, ask dragonwizard he was there. then got dc'd again. signed on as a guest and my username is sitting in the lobby and i watched it make a game, tried to enter the game and it told me i couldnt because we were on the same ip. i had 756 points. i logged in earlier and my points were down to 730...... i have no idea what the hell happened.

T3h luggage

One issue with cloning Battle Thingz is that it's much more asset-heavy than cyberwars.  Even a low-level hobbyest pixel artist (as I was at the time) can make a full set of animated icons for a cyberwars clone given sufficient free time.   Doing all the heads, bodies and tails alone, plus icons for attacks, etc, would require some major time investment, and perhaps money, to get it done properly.
On a similarly depressing note, I don't think Matlu has much more interest in this direction of development (I'll let him speak for himself, of course, at least if he still comes around here).  Raven/Rook took over pretty quickly once it came, and the only maintenance work done recently was replacing the older graphics with an updated/polished set that I did.
That all said, there is a silver lining:  I did release the cyberbattles graphics under the CC-By license, which means you can use them for whatever you want (commercial, whatever) provided you give credit as specified.  You can get them here: http://opengameart.org/content/cyberwars-tileset-mini-32x32-scifi-creature-icons  So, if you started with that it might give you a leaping-off point, anyway, not to mention the potential for a more streamlined/active version of the game.

Drakonus

thats great and i appriciate it. Within a month or so i will be getting a site up and running. anyone who is intrested in helping is appriciated and will be givin privlages on the site to do what it is that needs to be done. Also if you know anyone who is interested in coding both battle thingz and crypt, i would be interested in paying to have it done. i was thinking somthing in the neiborhood of 4-500$ per game considering the time that would have to be spent. Also if the site began to show a profit in any way (advertising and such but dont worry i dont even know if i will be going in that direction But there wont be any membership fee's and crap like that) the programmer(s) responisble would get a slice of the pie. my e-mail is kendudley1942@gmail.com if anyone is interested.

T3h luggage

(just a note:  if you want to contact matlu, you'll probably have more luck emailing him.  I don't think anyone comes on the forums anymore--I usually check in once every two months or so)