• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Tournament Timer

Started by The_Gu3st, September 11, 2005, 04:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Gu3st

Matlu, is there anyway that you can put a small timer onto the game-play page?

That way, at any time, someone could just come there and look at the timer really quickly so they wouldnt have to worry about what time it starts in their country, but rather how many hours/minutes until it starts.

Dodger

Oh I understand it now! Yeh thats a great idea!

BlitzJoker

Put a timer on your site, a simple line of javascript can solve that problem. It's as easy as that.

CrazyHazy

Thats true also but i figured more people would look at the timer on the actual game page, and they can take quick glances at it while playing. It's not like matlu is being forced to do it, but it would just be appreciated.
C  ~       Perfect Assasins
R    ~
A      ~
Z        ~          The
Y          ~ >---Sabre---> 
H        ~        Killers
A      ~
Z    ~
Y  ~

The_Gu3st

That's exactly my point, I'm sure Tiras wouldnt mind putting it onto the tournament website but it would be much better if it was on this page.

Of courses its useless do incorporate the timer for this tournament, but for future tournaments it would be great.

BlitzJoker

And the players who do not wish to participate in the tourney have to be distracted by the long string of strolling numbers for the whole time they go on?

The_Gu3st

Wow, what a distraction. It will probably mess up one's entire strategy and they will never be able to win, ever again.

On the other hand, those ads by goooooogle are extremely helpful to one, and they enhance his/her ability to play.

BlitzJoker

QuoteIt will probably mess up one's entire strategy and they will never be able to win, ever again.

Yea, thats what I was thinking.

Ads by google do not scroll, my friend. Scrolling things tend to be a distraction when reading text, and a long string of number could make some obsessive compulsive players go insane.

I am just looking out for the duelboard community.

The_Gu3st

well then, i guess we better get rid of the chatbox for those OCD people, I wouldnt want it to be a distraction.

BlitzJoker

Only in the case a player was constantly typing numbers, like if they did 1(enter) 2(enter) 3(enter) 4(enter), etc. But in that case that player should simply be banned rather then ruining a usefull tool.

The_Gu3st

Blitz, be completely honest.

Are you truely, 100%, opposed to having a timer?
Don't you think it would help some players out? Or even serve as a reminder to those who are not sure what time/day the tournament is? Maybe for a quick last second sign up?

I really don't understand why you have to overblow this idea, it really wouldn't be that distracting.

Go find someone who is OCD and show them this site

http://www.javascript-page.com/2000count.html

And see if the timer is that big of a distraction from him reading the rest of the text.

BlitzJoker

Ok you ask if I am serious.....I was quite obviously being sarcastic.

I suggest putting it on the tourney site, where it belongs. You guys constantly cancel and rearrange the tourneys, and half the dedicated runners are no where to be found for weeks.

Should matlu have to update the timer every other day because thats about as much as the plans change? It would be an unneeded hassle for him, and should be the responsibility of the tourney runners. Why should we put a timer on something that is not usefull for most of the regular players when it could just go to a place(the tourney site) where it would be usefull for everyone who visits?

Also consider the downtime from restarting the server every other day to update the time.

The_Gu3st

Quote from: BlitzJoker on September 11, 2005, 06:18:13 PM
Also consider the downtime from restarting the server every other day to update the time.

i don't understand this, explain.

As for putting on the tournament website, we already agreed to that.

Usually, plans only change if we do not get enough people.

BlitzJoker

The game consists of code, code that may or may not(I'm guessing it should) be able to execute a coutdown to a certain date/time.

Think of it like a website, in order update the site you need to edit the code and the re-upload the new version of the code to the host in order for the updates to take place. Entering a new date to countdown to would require a change in code, thus requiring matlu to change it and then upload the new code to the server. The server experiences downtime when it is restarted.

The_Gu3st

Oh okay, I wasn't aware of that.

Anyways, I guess the final decision is up to matlu.