• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Change fire, it's wrong

Started by jamesishere, March 27, 2005, 06:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesishere

The fire spreads way too quickly. If I remember correctly, it took a few turns before the fire would even spread one square, and it would be a long time before it would cover up a substantial portion of the game. I realize that there is some sort of chance of the fire spreading each turn (probably 50%), but it needs to be reduced.

ZAPTONE_Z

it seems pretty decent to me

cant think of any time ive seen it get too out of hand too fast

Odin

I have only played three or four games with it (one of which was when Fire was first introduced and then pulled for a little while), but Fire seems to move at a reasonable speed.
"You are neither right nor wrong because the crowd disagrees with you, you are right because your data and reasoning are right."
-- Benjamin Graham

matlu

Here is how fire exactly works (currently):

- At the end of each beam-down phase, do following for EACH field with fire on the board:
- generate random number in range 1-12. (I will reffer to this number as "R")
- *IF*  R >= 1 AND R <= 7  than fire spreads to some adjacent field (there are 7 adjacent fields) . If it's not possible for some reason (there is 'friendly' monster, or building, or the field is out of board) than do nothing
- *IF*  R = 8  then this fire cell dies out
- *IF* any other number, then do nothing

- there is special check, to prevent the fire from dying out completely

It is clear, that fire speed is heavily influented by this random number range (1-12). I experimented with it a bit, but this speed seemed to me best.

matlu

I saw several games, which resulted in draw, due to fire. I'm starting to think, that something has to be done about the fire...

I think that I should either:
1. make it slower
2. let it die out after some time
3. let it hurt also its creator

Right now I like 3rd possibility most (it's easiest to do, should solve the problem, and seems logical)

BlitzJoker

I would say choice two. Because the only time fire would burn out would be when its taking up like 25% of the board+(I suppose you would make it that high), because then it will keep it from making the game a draw because of fire.

The reason being is that if you allow it to hurt its creator it makes fire less usefull....it will also change some strategy.

ZAPTONE_Z

Quote from: matlu on April 05, 2005, 11:55:09 PM

Right now I like 3rd possibility most (it's easiest to do, should solve the problem, and seems logical)

as much as i hate to say it....i think this is the best move

ZAPTONE_Z

Quote from: ZAPTONE_Z on April 06, 2005, 01:47:32 AM
as much as i hate to say it....i think this is the best move

quoting myself here (highclass)

of course this isnt the way original cw had it but i know matlu isnt trying to make a clone of that, just pointing this out

the current fire system seems to be pretty much similar to old cw and that worked pretty fine back then

so maybe just wait before any changes are made?

bbob_baller

i have to agree i think hurting its fire starter is a good solution or making it die out.. :-\

Quote from: matlu on April 05, 2005, 11:55:09 PM
I saw several games, which resulted in draw, due to fire. I'm starting to think, that something has to be done about the fire...

I think that I should either:
1. make it slower
2. let it die out after some time

BladeSabre

I think it would help to make each cell more likely to die out. Even if the fire is still growing, on average, then there could be a chance of passages appearing through it.

matlu

Quote from: blade_sabre on April 06, 2005, 07:39:00 PM
I think it would help to make each cell more likely to die out. Even if the fire is still growing, on average, then there could be a chance of passages appearing through it.

Hm, nice idea, guess I will try it, if it doesn't work I'll proceed with "option 3"  :)

flamingdragon

Quote from: zzboots on April 06, 2005, 05:32:10 AM
Seriously though in the old game fire was rarely played and now you aren't used to it.

i played fire at CGD every game i played
Adun Toridas, Executor.

ZAPTONE_Z

i used fire every chance i get

its so psycholgical
really fucks with your opponents

BladeSabre

Maybe it was less significant in the old game because it didn't grow so fast.

dark_rock

I also think that fire is given to players in their board more often than in the real game.