• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

IMPORTANT NOTE, please read

Started by matlu, March 27, 2005, 01:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matlu

- The game currently uses lot of 'stolen' copyrighted graphics, thus it is *necessary* to replace the graphics with new one.

- Anyone is welcome to submit new graphics

- The size of each icon is 32 x 32 pixels.

- For each monster we need 3 movement phases, and one dead phase. E.g:

Note that when animated, the frames repeat in following sequence: 1,2,3,2,1,2,3,2,1... etc  (and NOT 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3)

- commanders are similar to monsters, they need 3 animated phases, and one "shadow phase", eg:

They animate in same sequence as monsters

- everything else (buildings, fire, blob, forcefield) needs 4 animated phases (they don't need 'dead' phase). E.g:

It will be animated in 'natural' sequence: 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4...

- PLEASE post your graphics as single picture 128 x 32 pixels, with all phases. PLEASE don't use jpg, use anything else instead (png, gif, tga)

- feel free to ask any question, either here on the forum, or email me directly:
duelboard@directbox.com

Odin

Little curious on who would hold on to the rights of the new graphics.

When it came to suggestions with rs (somewhat similar matter), jagex made it clear that any suggestions made became their property. Their difference though would be that they are doing it for profit, so they would probably have to compensate players for their ideas if they did not include that in there.
"You are neither right nor wrong because the crowd disagrees with you, you are right because your data and reasoning are right."
-- Benjamin Graham

matlu

QuoteLittle curious on who would hold on to the rights of the new graphics

Ehm, I was sort of expecting, that the people would just donate the graphics, just because they would really-like-to-have-the-game-finished-asap-and-are-willing-to-help. To have new graphics is critical,  I would simply not dare to open this game for bigger audience with old graphics. BTW this is probably best and almost ONLY way to really help (unless you are professional java programmer with experience in online game programming). Please don't post your graphics if you have any problem with donating.

T3h luggage

Heh, I like to say to my friends,
"I have a graphic in a game and YOU DON'T!!!"
Yeah, the stuff is just for a donation, but it's not like I could ever make real profit off the sprites anyway...
And if I did, it would be through making a tutorial and selling it on Ebay, which wouldn't interfere with anything.(Not that I plan to...)

Odin

Just thought I would ask about it now before (assuming it would) became a problem later. Would be a good idea to mention in the rules that by donating it, you give "Duel Board" (substitute that for whatever the name of the finished product is) the right to use it, though it is obvious enough. Maybe not from a legal standpoint though (seem to live in a society where things have to be made perfectly clear for some people).
"You are neither right nor wrong because the crowd disagrees with you, you are right because your data and reasoning are right."
-- Benjamin Graham

BladeSabre

I came across this on the Well of Souls website, regarding art submission:

QuoteWhen you submit your work to Synthetic Reality, you are granting Synthetic Reality an unrestricted license to use your work as we see fit. You retain full copyright of your work and are in no way limited by Synthetic Reality in what else you choose to use it for.

That seems like a good enough arrangement. What do you think of it?

(Edited to add)

Hey, I looked at Jagex's web site, and it's pretty much the same.

QuoteOccasionally we may accept ideas and game additions that are submitted by users. You agree that by submitting material for inclusion in RuneScape you are giving us a non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free license to use and/or modify the submitted materials as we see fit. You agree that you will not withdraw the submission or attempt to make a charge for its use. Furthermore you warrant that you are the exclusive copyright holder of the submission, and that the submission in no way violates any other person or entity's rights

The players still own the copyright, but they grant Jagex a "non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free license".

matlu

Of course the author of any graphics keeps the copyright, all I'm asking for is permission to use it in my games.

(BTW I hate such games with words, and don't have very good meaning about lawyers in general.)

BladeSabre

Well it's good to clear that up, because apparently there was some doubt on the matter ;)

QuoteLittle curious on who would hold on to the rights of the new graphics.
jagex made it clear that any suggestions made became their property.

QuoteYeah, the stuff is just for a donation, but it's not like I could ever make real profit off the sprites anyway...

So T3h Luggage can still ask for money from other people for using his sprites - the customers just have to be happy with you using them at the same time.

Like Odin was saying, it's useful to have a little legal-speak in the rules, for protection.

T3h luggage

So...Anyone want to buy some sprites?  only 5$ a piece...