• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Possible need for a CTRL and ALT disclaimer.

Started by Odin, March 28, 2005, 10:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odin

Back at the castle, some abusive players would claim that you could cheat if you "hit alt and the left arrow key" which of course would send you back the number of pages you did it. They apparently had enough sense on the original censor to disable people's chat for five minutes who claimed the same thing with ALT and F4. The idea struck me earlier that in the FAQs section or above the game applet, there should be a message that there are no commands involving the CTRL or ALT keys. Although no-one has made such a ridiculous claim here, I think the odds of someone doing so and actually succeeding with getting someone to quit out like that would be greatly reduced by having such a disclaimer.
"You are neither right nor wrong because the crowd disagrees with you, you are right because your data and reasoning are right."
-- Benjamin Graham

BlitzJoker

What Odin is saying is true, but this problem can also be solved by simply having every person that visits the site memorize the list of Window's shortcut keys ;)

Odin

Not sure whether it would look stupid if there is a message above the applet, but only time will tell. Certainly pales in comparison to the "stupid" messages I have seen on other game sites. Guess a "Please refer to the FAQs page before using any commands players suggest", though I will assume a separate page will be made for the list of commands unless there is some command in the game that gives them to you.
"You are neither right nor wrong because the crowd disagrees with you, you are right because your data and reasoning are right."
-- Benjamin Graham

zzboots

ahh silly kitty cats posting my silly pictures.  Those fine words were censored, just so you know (at least i think like 90% on this one).  At any rate, Rex300 was a buddy of mine and I was just joking around.  Well eventually I figured out that there was a filter that would block your chat for like 5 minutes (this was never really made public.)   But I am in favor of a filter system of some sort.

Please don't take pictures out of context.  Just look here  

Taken out of context that could look bad, but will was my buddy just joking around.  ;D
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo

Odin

Quote from: zzboots on March 28, 2005, 11:03:17 PM
Those fine words were censored, just so you know (at least i think like 90% on this one).

They originally got your chat disabled for 5 minutes by the censor, but then they had an update (where you could no longer choose between low quality and no sound, low quality and sound, high quality and no sound, and high quality and sound before the castle loaded) and it no longer said your message was censored. However, it did seem some messages weren't sent as time showed and some messages would get you kicked out of the game (such as flooding with "hahahahahahaha" and so on). The whole point of this topic is to avoid censorship, at least with that.
-- Benjamin Graham

zzboots

the reason "hahaha..." got you booted from the game was because it was a repeated patern that filled up the entire line.  I was fortinate enough to learn this and blitz can confirm it, but I'm not sure that it wasn't mearly another bug.  The censor was still on even after the update.  In this game perhaps only certain words (the main ones) could be censored? :)
-William G. McAdoo

Odin

Doubt it was a bug. Lot of not so nice words got through.
-- Benjamin Graham

zzboots

Quote from: Odin on March 28, 2005, 11:26:52 PM
Doubt it was a bug. Lot of not so nice words got through.

Oh yes, the fine people over at jagex never made bugs.  ;D  Just censor the main ones, and perhaps have someone watch what people say, and if there is a growing problem ban them.  :D
-William G. McAdoo

Odin

They didn't make bugs. They *HAD* bugs. Not fine either, since I sure wouldn't want to sit and have tea with them. They let many nasty words get through after they removed the censor that disabled chat. Anyways, I was saying it may not be too necessary to have to try to filter stuff out for ALT or CTRL. Sure, other words may be censored to some extent, but it totally ruins the game play to have a censor-everything system implemented that rs has (think it would be to a lesser extent on members, but nooo). Would be much better to identify the real abusers and toss them out than to just censor stuff and somehow consider players who vent their frustration on what happens to be no different. Matlu said he didn't care too much for a censor unless it "got to be a problem", which then it would be a "growing problem".
-- Benjamin Graham

Sheep

hey zz, i notice your firend said the word sheep, a foretelling of my presence? lol  :P :P

zzboots

Quote from: Sheep on April 02, 2005, 09:02:34 AM
hey zz, i notice your firend said the word sheep, a foretelling of my presence? lol  :P :P
I am as awe strucken as you.
-William G. McAdoo