• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Stolen nicks

Started by matlu, March 29, 2005, 01:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matlu

zzboots complained, that somebody registered his nick.

If it also happened to you AND some well-known member who knows you can confirm it then write me a private msg.

Sheep

so zz, whats your nick going to be? im still sheep, it didn't get stolen (but no one would want to anyways)

BlitzJoker

Quote from: zzboots on March 29, 2005, 01:17:15 AM
Don't think I didnt cry over this. :P I really do want to find my secret admirer. But seriously I will be watching for people using names that never belonged to them. Then I will be upset, and you dont want me upset. Puts a lot of work on blitz and Odin trying to calm me down.

This happens a lot, I'm sure you broke zz's heart over this.... :'(

I'll get a few of the other old very popular players I know to register their names, if it was stolen I'll report it.

Odin

I finally got Odin somewhere, which I thought would be close to impossible. Holding on to Odin666 just so that nobody can impersonate me (just saying. I doubt anyone would anyway, but you can never be too sure).
"You are neither right nor wrong because the crowd disagrees with you, you are right because your data and reasoning are right."
-- Benjamin Graham

Sheep

ZAPTONE_Z

who cares??????

be flattered and quit being so bitchy

matlu

Quote from: zzboots on April 03, 2005, 07:35:20 AM
the pre-registration names were one thing.  But who keeps trying to impersonate me.  Someone made a zzbootss account.  Matlu please step up and ban this ip.

- to register a name similar to yours is not a crime (if this person behaves himself). I know that in this particular case it sure IS impersonation, but I cannot do anything about it right now. I'm sure that people KNOW that you are spelled with one 's', so just take it easy.

- this game is simply not yet prepared for "public audience". Especially it is not yet prepared for people who impersonate, who are vulgar, or whose only purpose is to spoil the game. Probably it was mistake to let so many people know about it.

- I'll have to create chat filter, banning based on ip and/or nickname and maybe also some other kind of 'protection'. It is sad, but it IS necessary. Unfortunatelly I have to finish some other stuff first. So just take it easy for the time being.

- Please BEHAVE yourself. If such problems persists, I will freeze registering new members, disable guests and delete all suspicious accounts. (probably not so bad idea anyway)

ZAPTONE_Z

its shame that people would want to ruin what you've worked so hard to create here matlu

im not sure what would make someone want to do that so i cant offer much insight just condolences

matlu

Quote from: ZAPTONE_Z on April 03, 2005, 11:06:55 AM
its shame that people would want to ruin what you've worked so hard to create here matlu

im not sure what would make someone want to do that so i cant offer much insight just condolences

You know, I guess that EVERY online game has sime kind of chat filter, and has to ban
some user from time time. So I'll just have to make it as well, and hope it helps.

Odin

Quote from: matlu on April 03, 2005, 11:16:27 AM
You know, I guess that EVERY online game has sime kind of chat filter, and has to ban
some user from time time. So I'll just have to make it as well, and hope it helps.

One thing I don't really like is that after certain words are censored, players (newbies mostly, I think) just put a space in between the word or something similar which seems kind of low class (language-wise anyway) and then it gets messy if the programmer/admins (not sure who really handles it in most games) then try to censor that word pattern, such as being unable to say "tell zez" on rs without being censored. Guess another suggestion (maybe I just have a lot of them) would be to impose censorship on guest accounts and known abusers and possibly on new players. Not sure how realistic it is to implement.

Have to agree with Zap on his comment. Just seems a bit wrong that a few abusers would appear in what started as a bunch of fans wanting a clone (maybe wanted the original back, but I guess the idea steadily changed) to be made of a game they liked that disappeared.
"You are neither right nor wrong because the crowd disagrees with you, you are right because your data and reasoning are right."
-- Benjamin Graham

matlu

BTW today a played with bunch of people... they were french speaking. They seemed nice. Anyway I'm not sure how is chat-filter going to work together with foreign languages ???

Odin

Quote from: zzboots on April 06, 2005, 11:08:14 PM
I think it just needs to be a basic filter, catching only the major curse words.  Its fine if words like ass get threw.  But maybe monitor the chat to insure people are not being to vulgar.

Who knows the "major curse words" in them? Selective moderation sounds like a better idea, though this game is nearly all English-speaking so there could just be an "official language" of English.
-- Benjamin Graham

Parsley

How about a 'vote to mute' function?

kaoss

Yea if u see KAOS its not me, he was abusing few people so just letting u all know.

HellsRage666

lol good luck with that. It's almost impossible if you if people playing your game from all over the world, unless of course u can speak about... 150 languages im guessing.