• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

New graphics != new names

Started by ZAPTONE_Z, March 29, 2005, 08:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZAPTONE_Z

im sure new graphics are a must to avoid those lovely intellectually property lawsuits, but im pretty sure all of the names can stay the same

i mean cw used "light-sabre" i think that might have been done before

so all these posts about chaing the names can really stop...cuz its really not needed if the monsters are all getting replaced from cw

now if matlu starts adding new things that werent in cw......

TheMcCool

Saber, not sabre. :P Agreed, names don't need to be changed.
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.
-The very available Song Flower

(Please Copy and Paste This In Your Profile Wink) <<i dont see the point.  Huh

Parsley

It's not to do with the names, it's to do with the game as a whole.

It can't be the 'same' game.  If Jagex can prove that it is, they can politely ask Matlu to sell his underwear to buy them a new car, as it were.

As such, changing the names of the critters is a simple way of making the game less like a complete clone of CW.

zzboots

Quote from: TheMcCool on March 29, 2005, 09:31:38 AM
Saber, not sabre. :P Agreed, names don't need to be changed.

It's sabre you yankee.
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo

T3h luggage

Most of the stuff was stolen from the movie "Alein" anyway...
The preadator, alien hatchling, alien queen, the list goes on and on...

TheMcCool

It can't be the 'same' game.  If Jagex can prove that it is, they can politely ask Matlu to sell his underwear to buy them a new car, as it were.

You know, I don't really think he can get in any legal trouble unless he goes commercial with this or gets advertisers or something. Look at flash games and cartoons at places like Newgrounds. They use all kinds of materials and subject matter from commercial videogames and shows.
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.

matlu

QuoteLook at flash games and cartoons at places like Newgrounds. They use all kinds of materials and subject matter from commercial videogames and shows.
there is probably quite big difference between:
1. making some funny flash cartoon containing for example Alien Queen and Battle Mech from cyber wars. Nobody would mind. They would be glad, because it basically promotes their game for free.
2. making exactly same game with exactly same graphics. I think they would mind.

QuoteI don't really think he can get in any legal trouble unless he goes commercial with this
No, this won't happen.

Quoteor gets advertisers
In case the game manages to attract big amount of players, this is very likely. It's simply impossible to run a site like this without any support, I hope you understand. (If you don't understand, I can explain). Definitelly no aggresive pop-up ads, or something disturbing, just something very decent.

Parsley

New names:
BattleMcDonalds
Flying SlimFast
Adidas Predator
Spiderodour eaters
Psion Lord
Cyber Walkers

TheMcCool

Quote from: matlu on March 30, 2005, 10:52:19 AM
there is probably quite big difference between:
1. making some funny flash cartoon containing for example Alien Queen and Battle Mech from cyber wars. Nobody would mind. They would be glad, because it basically promotes their game for free.
2. making exactly same game with exactly same graphics. I think they would mind.
No, this won't happen.
In case the game manages to attract big amount of players, this is very likely. It's simply impossible to run a site like this without any support, I hope you understand. (If you don't understand, I can explain). Definitelly no aggresive pop-up ads, or something disturbing, just something very decent.

Oh don't worry, I understand. ;)

Kevin

Quote from: matlu on March 30, 2005, 10:52:19 AM

I suggest click ads, or popunders since with so many popup blockers they will be pretty useless. Perhaps a page like duelboard.com/support.php where you would place all the advertisement popups/popunders and we would click it and refresh when we want to help out.

Parsley

How about donations = added features
(More donation = more features)

e.g.
- Different skins
- Different game modes
- Clan games
- Spectator mode
- Tournies
- T-shirts

Or donations = you can choose a particular item to Always be in your deck
so $10 = 1 item; $25 = 2 items; etc.

matlu

do you see this greedy look in my eyes?   ::)

- definitelly it should not be possible to "buy" a victory
- guess I'll just try it with ads first, and I'll see. Anyway it won't happen very soon, I'd like to get the webpage and the game to some really "functional" state first. I don't think that pure donations would work, and I also think that most people would mind that it is possible to buy some advantages.
- I had this idea with T-shirt myself, actually I already promised one t-shirt to song-flower    (she was 500th person who asked about slimes   :) )  btw there is still one t-shirt left for 1000th person

Parsley

Could add a certain degree of tactics...

Say maximum of 2 cards to always be in your deck.
Assuming that they can't be monster cards.
& they must all be different.

What would you choose?

matlu

Quote from: Parsley on March 31, 2005, 12:19:34 PM
Could add a certain degree of tactics...

Say maximum of 3 cards to always be in your deck
Assuming that they can't be monster cards.
& they must all be different.

What would you choose?

I myself have no idea, as I said I'm not very good in this game (and I mean it seriously). Probably most people would choose mind control and mutate

BTW  to me it seems interesting that you consider it a "deck of cards", have you ever played some collectible card game? I used to play Magic the gathering a lot, and then Vampire: the eternal struggle

ZAPTONE_Z

No, becuase soon enough people would find out the "ultimate" setup and the game will get repetative

i like having the hand 100% random and i think it should stay that way