• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Memory Problem

Started by Bakster, December 01, 2005, 11:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bakster

Something is sucking up my C drive. A few days ago it had 100MB free (Yes, I know that's crap), but after a recent disk cleanup it's now only 56MB! I don't know why my memory is so low. I can't just go deleting random folders as I will probably destroy my computer.

Spybot never detects any spyware, and my virus scanner is a stupid piece of shit.

What do I do?!?!

The_Gu3st

www.webroot.com

Download the trail version of spysweeper, its the most efficient spyware-searching tool out there right now. Also, download Mozilla Firefox instead of running IE, its much more safer in terms of virus-protection.

Last, if you have windows, defragment your computer. (It'll take a long time, so do it overnight)

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter + Disk Cleanup

Dodger

QuoteDownload the trail version of spysweeper, its the most efficient spyware-searching tool out there right now. Also, download Mozilla Firefox instead of running IE, its much more safer in terms of virus-protection.

Don't download that...It's probably not spyware taking up so much space, it's just you :).
I normally format my computer (delete everything) and start again about once a year, maybe less anyway. I find mine gets chunked up with crap I thought I would need....

QuoteLast, if you have windows, defragment your computer. (It'll take a long time, so do it overnight)

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter + Disk Cleanup

May take a long time.
Windows defrag isn't very good anyway. I use O&O defrag, it works much better and faster.

If you're worried about destroying your computer then you just have to be careful. Cleanup wizard deletes unimportant windows files (temp, chache, etc.) So you don't even need to go into the Windows folders if you don't feel confortable with it.
Anything you delete out of   C:\Program Files  will probably not harm your computer (obviously don't delete things like IE, WINNT or updates) and that is where most of the things you have installed/downloaded will be.  You can check how much disk space something is taking up by right clicking it > properties. It will tell you the size of the file, so you can decide if it worth deleting.

How did you manage to fill up 300GB and not know where?

There is also a prompt command that tells you where disk space is being used and how much...for each individual file/folder (not dir) but I can't remember it...anyone know?

If you don't know the directories (folders) in your C Drive that might be filling up space you can simply view them...ALL (there is a lot) by doing this...
Start > Run > cmd.exe
Type cd c:\
then type tree > tree.txt

This will put all the information into a .txt document, which can be found on your C Drive (My Computer > C:\ and look for tree.txt).

....Ack I just did this myself and there is a shitload of information....you might want to scratch that idea....If you do decide to do it then the .txt document is weird to read (you just have to ignore all of the A's  ???).
Yawn...I'm tired so I'm off to bed. Hope I slightly helped....

Heh heh this is the longest post I have ever written.  :) I hope that you're not so computer illiterate that you didn't understand at least some of it ;)

The_Gu3st

Oh, flipity dipity doo! Dodger to the rescue.  >:(

RAWR

Bakster

My parents would never let me leave the computer on overnight. They'd probably kill me if they caught me defragging, or doing anything I shouldn't be doing.

What the hell is 'O&O' defrag?

zzboots

a few more problems and Matlu will need to create a "Bakster Help Board"  Geez.  Keep on fighting the good fight man.  :D
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo

SiR gUt

for all you computer noobs, go buy Avast anti virus and microsoft anti Spyware. those 2 work the best
THE GUEST IS  HAVING HIS PERIOD!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHA 

THE MIAMI HEAT HAD THE WORST FREE THROW SHOOTING PERCENTAGE IN FINALS HISTORY 37% AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AND DALLAS MAVERICKS IS GOING TO SWEEP THE MIAMI HEAT AHAHAHAHA

Dodger

I used Avast for a while...Didn't care for it that much...
I use McAffe. But Avast is probably the best free one.

As for Microsoft Antispyware...I suppose it was only a matter of time before M$ got something right....As much as I hate to give them praise, it's pretty good.

Bakster

I tried defragging. After an hour, it had only got to 1%.

But I uninstalled some crap and have over 500MB free. It'll do  ;D

SiR gUt

well just go with what I said and your comp will be pretty safe
THE GUEST IS  HAVING HIS PERIOD!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHA 

THE MIAMI HEAT HAD THE WORST FREE THROW SHOOTING PERCENTAGE IN FINALS HISTORY 37% AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AND DALLAS MAVERICKS IS GOING TO SWEEP THE MIAMI HEAT AHAHAHAHA

Dodger

Quote from: Bakster on December 10, 2005, 12:28:57 AM
I tried defragging. After an hour, it had only got to 1%.

But I uninstalled some crap and have over 500MB free. It'll do  ;D

Try Googling O&O defrag. It might have a free trial...I downloaded a torrent  :P.
It's much better than Windows one, and it can run in 'Stealth Mode', so you can do other things while it's defragging (that you shouldn't do when using Windows Defrag).

Look it up anyway,  might help.

Parsley

Check that the probelm isn't simply a trojan/worm that's spamming your c-drive to oblivion.

Suggest you download a trial version of something like TDS-3 & run a full scan, so the problem doesn't creep up again.