• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

I could use some help...

Started by Blitz, January 24, 2006, 03:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blitz

I have currently purchased some webhosting, and now with my newly purchased features I wanted to make a forum and possibly a wiki portion for a site I am developing. The problem is that I have always used free hosting, so I have no experience with php or mysql databases, which I read are the essentials for both a wiki and a forum.

My hosting service provides me with mysql databases and phpmyadmin preinstalled, so thats what I will be using to edit. My question is could anyone help me or point me in the correct direction as to where I could find some tutorials or something.

Thanks
MVP zzboots fanclub

zzboots

I would love to help you. But you dont want it from me.  :-*
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo

The_Gu3st

Oh man, DB drama. Is getting tense.

zzboots

Quote from: The_Gu3st on January 24, 2006, 04:06:52 AM
Oh man, DB drama. Is getting tense.

Who needs daytime tv when you got Blitz and ZZ?  :D
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo

matlu

Regarding forum:
- there exist many open-source forum software packages, you have to pick one and install it. Duelboard uses this one http://www.simplemachines.org/ (but I'm not saying it's good or bad, there maybe exist better or worse, I picked it almost randomly).

The installation should be simple, you just download the installation package, then you have to upload it to your hosting computer and unpack it. To unpack the files you probably need shell / console access to that computer. If you don't have it, you probably have to unpack it on your computer, and upload all the files (there are many of them).
Once it's all uploaded, you'll have to open some html file (maybe something like install.html, you'll have to read the documentation), and it will show some installation form. You'll have to fill in stuff like database password etc, and it should install the forum then.

I remember that I had some issues with file attributes and permissions, so it's possible that you'll need console access anyway (they may call it SSH access). Well you'll probably also need some Unix skills (if it runs unix operating system)

Blitz

I see, I like this forum actually, it has a nice setup.

There is some problems I experience though. The forums I see usually run off mySQL databases, and I have some provided to me by 1and1(hosting company). These are presetup and I'm  not really sure how to hook the forum to the database or configure the database. All the installation instruction try to tell me to type this or set this, and they fail to specify where(I suppose they assume I have some knowledge). Makes me feel like such a noob.

Another concern of mine is that I am not using my own databases. From what I understand you have to transfer files to your webspace that will set up the database using your webspace? 1and1 does not require me to do that, rather they set up the database themselves and I can use it. I still have control over it, but they put limits on the size the database can be then. The limit is 100 MB a database. Will this become a problem for anything I might have on that database?

Some of the stuff I said may not make sense, like I said I really am quite new to all of this.
MVP zzboots fanclub

matlu

QuoteAll the installation instruction try to tell me to type this or set this, and they fail to specify where(I suppose they assume I have some knowledge).

if you have some specific question then ask

QuoteThese are presetup and I'm  not really sure how to hook the forum to the database or configure the database

you just have to download forum installation package, upload it to your hosting and unpack it. Then open some installation html file and it should guide you through the rest. You (hopefully) don't have to manipulate the database at all, you'll just have to enter some user name and password to that installation form.

QuoteThe limit is 100 MB a database. Will this become a problem for anything I might have on that database?
probably not, unless it becomes very big and active forum with hundreds or thousands of users. In this case you'll probably have to disable attachment uploading, because that's what consume a lot of space. (anyway it will take long time till you have some problem with space)

Blitz

ok, Thanks for the help  :). I haven't been able to try anything lately, school has kept me very busy. I will continue work at a later date, if I need anything else I'll get back to you.

MVP zzboots fanclub

Blitz

I finally installed the forum, and I used SMF. I was wondering though, when setting what members are allow to do, what is the difference between disallow and deny?
MVP zzboots fanclub

The_Gu3st

Yeah, you really could use some help, n00b.  :P

eddie

Quote from: Blitz on February 19, 2006, 07:54:17 PM
I was wondering though, when setting what members are allow to do, what is the difference between disallow and deny?

well, if u disallow something, then your not alowing him to do it
deny is same, but way more harsh, i mean, whats worse? getting disalowed, or DENYED