• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Units' ranged attacks

Started by TheMcCool, April 04, 2005, 09:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMcCool

For example the tank's, the mech's, the mining droid's, acid spitter's, etc... They are not supposed to be as strong as their primary attack. It's a secondary attack, with range. It should be weaker.. (Matlu said somewhere that he made the ranged attacks as strong as the main attacks, and in my test games it hasn't seemed very good.)
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.
-The very available Song Flower

(Please Copy and Paste This In Your Profile Wink) <<i dont see the point.  Huh

matlu

Ranged attack is definitelly NOT as strong as main attack. You can see the value of ranged attack:
1. in select-action screen right-click a monster, you'll see detailed information, including ranged strength
2. during YOUR turn right-click any monster. You will see same information. (This works only during YOUR turn, when you can move your monsters)

Generally, ranged attack is quite weak, with value 2 or 3

TheMcCool

Well I'll be sure to check later but these two things happened in the same game: A battlemech's ranged attack killed another battlemech. A mining droids ranged attack killed a commander (who I think had a force shield on.) Which is what made me worried...
ZZ, to me you're nothing but one incredibly smokin' hott, built up, knowledgable hunk of man. And yes, I hope you put this in your sig too.
-The very available Song Flower

(Please Copy and Paste This In Your Profile Wink) <<i dont see the point.  Huh

ZAPTONE_Z

yeah range is usually only good for killing probes, buggys, aliens anything about def 4 or less should die fairly often by range

Odin

Quote from: ZAPTONE_Z on April 05, 2005, 04:03:37 AM
yeah range is usually only good for killing probes, buggys, aliens anything about def 4 or less should die fairly often by range
There were some anomalies in old cw, such as when my Laser Robot's ranged killed an Acid Spitter. Of course Alien Queen and Battle Mech's ranged seemed pretty good at killing the commander.
"You are neither right nor wrong because the crowd disagrees with you, you are right because your data and reasoning are right."
-- Benjamin Graham

matlu

As I already said, two days ago I changed combat system. I hope now it is more "realistic". I'm not going to disclose exact formula used to compute combat result. Most important change compared to old system is:
Now even an unit with very low strength can possibly kill an unit with high defence, but it is very unlikely. So even proble can kill battle mech, but if you'll ever see it on your own eys you can consider yourself very lucky.

Parsley

& you must say:
'Your probe sunk my Battlemech'