• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Windoze...

Started by Dodger, March 09, 2006, 07:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodger

Hah, I have a new Windoze problem. Out of the thousands out there I havn't seen this before.

This is what happened...
I was moving some files from one of my hard drives to the other, and everything seemed to be going fine.
The move files thing said that it would take about 2 minutes, knowing that these times are usually absolutly wrong I checked back in another 5 minutes.
I was almost surprised to see that it now said 24 minutes, but then I realised I was dealing with Microsoft. I checked that I wasn't running anything else that would be using memory (which i wasn't) and left it again.
I returned a few minutes later to see that it now said 72 minutes (at this point it was about 70% done), and I was shocked.

I thought that Windows had screwed up, so I went to cancel the file movement.
Then my computer froze, no BSOD, just general freezing...
I did a hard reset and started booting the computer back up again..only to get the error message...

"Windows cannot start because the file Hall.dll is currupt or missing. Please reinstall the file to continue"

I was mildly annoyed so I did another hard reset, expecting my problem to disapate, but with no luck..

So, I'm turning a blank...I thought to myself "where do I know loads of people with nothing better to do....ahah Duelboard!"

And here I am...So, does anyone have any clue as to what would have caused this, or any solution that doesn't involve reinstalling Windows?

It seems pretty unfair that this should happen to me and not some useless dope that doesn't know how to use a computer (like Bakster).  :-[

eddie

id love 2 help, but i only have 1 hard drive, and dont know anything about that kind of error. i have 2 ask though. if u cant start ur computer, how are u posting here?

Dodger

It's really nothing to do with moving the files.
It's just Windows jacking off and deleting files that it needs. At least I think it is...

It was probably triggered by something else that has just happened, but the hard reset gave it the oppertunity to reveal itself...

Quotehow are u posting here?

I have two Operating Systems. Windows XP and Windows Vista.
I don't really want to use Windows Vista because it is buggy, slow and I might get caught, but it is alright for posting on here.

Dodger

Matlu! I would have thought you were quite the computer genious. I can see you're online so help a man out!

SiR gUt

bakster message me on aim, I have a floppy that recovers missing dll files. I dont know if it would work in your situation but it worked when mine was missing a dll file... except I dont know how I would get it to you...
THE GUEST IS  HAVING HIS PERIOD!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHA 

THE MIAMI HEAT HAD THE WORST FREE THROW SHOOTING PERCENTAGE IN FINALS HISTORY 37% AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AND DALLAS MAVERICKS IS GOING TO SWEEP THE MIAMI HEAT AHAHAHAHA

Dodger

1. I'm not Bakster
2. It's not missing, just currupted.
3. I found out what the file is and what it does, so far I am unable to copy the same file from my other operating system.
4. I'll try your thing, can't hurt  :)

Dodger

<EDIT>

Sorry it's not hall.dll.

It is hal.dll

Bakster

Quote from: Dodger
It seems pretty unfair that this should happen to me and not some useless dope that doesn't know how to use a computer (like Bakster).  :-[

Well, you're not getting any help from me now!! >:(

Dodger

The_Gu3st

I had this same exact error on my computer yesterday.

Opps just kidding, I'm not a dumbass.  ;)

nah, but for real, if you want help with your computer problems go to www.daniweb.com (i think that's it... maybe www.dani-web.com)

Anyways, try those. They helped me get rid of a few viruses/problems.

the_slayer

well apparently ultswordsman is right because matlu deleted all his posts that showed he put his brain to the test the list post and  everything was deleted and topic gone thats pretty lame if you ask me

Dodger

Done some research, without hal.dll windows basically can't see any of my hardware, so wont boot.

The only way can see of fixing it is to rip out my HD and put it in another computer, and just copy the file from the other HD on to mine. I'll try it tomoroow and let you know how it works out...

The_Gu3st

Quote from: the_slayer on March 12, 2006, 11:29:37 PM
call 1800-555-geek

:D OMG ULTS! This made me laugh for like... 0 seconds.

The_Gu3st

Dodger is a computer illiterate whore. And he likes men. Big men. Like the govenator.

eddie

which 1? arnold? or that guy who invented milk?