• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

castle petition

Started by flamingdragon, May 12, 2005, 11:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matlu

Quote from: raikoukami on June 18, 2005, 09:17:46 PM
i don't see why they just don't put it on there site ........you know how many people will come back >.<

they are not interested in people, but in money. If it paid off, they would sure do it, but it's not worth the effort for them, they are not "charity" (like me)

BlitzJoker

Quote from: matlu on June 18, 2005, 11:40:14 PM
they are not interested in people, but in money.

Sadly, if you want to run a successfull business this is what you need to do  :)

matlu

BTW it gives me the idea - it might be interesting to ask Yahoo/Gamesdomain whether they would be willing to sell the games :)

If you think it's good idea, please somebody write SHORT and very formal letter containing something like: "you bought gamesdomain from jagex few years ago", "it included multiplayer online games like cw, battlethingz, crypt, ...", "you seem to be no longer interested to run these games", "would you be willing to sell these games". Just try to make it short, very polite and without horrible grammar I produce.

Post it here and I'll email it to them. (ehm, anobody knows what's their email address?)
Anyway, I think there is 10% that they will respond, 3% that they would sell it and 1% that somebody could actually afford it

BladeSabre

To try and clarify the conflicting rumours, I emailed Jagex to ask who owned the Castle now, and whether it was available for license. They didn't reply. I'm thinking I shouldn't have used my Cambridge email address, because they probably noticed... that's if their custom email filters don't remove anything with the word "Castle" in it.

My best guess at the moment is that BT/GamesDomain actually commissioned the Castle, and Jagex wrote it specially for them. And when Yahoo took over, they took the Castle down, because it didn't fit with their "image" any more. (This, IMO, would be far more unforgivable than the original rumour that they were unwilling to pay some kind of large annual licence fees.)

Does anyone remember what GamesDomain was like apart from the Castle? Did Yahoo preserve any of it at all? It could be that they only bought it for the domain name, and didn't care about any of the rest.

I came up with nice conspiracy theory, when talking to my brother about it all. Yahoo bought GamesDomain for the domain name, then liquidated the rest of the assets. They sold the Castle on the quiet to some smaller business which now uses it on its LAN in order to boost employee morale. The smaller business made it part of the contract that they not be named to anyone, for fear that the screaming fans would descend upon them demanding it back. And this is why Yahoo and Jagex are so evasive about it...

Wild speculation aside, do we know that Yahoo own it now? We can't be sure of the terms of their contract unless they tell us. (If Yahoo do own the Castle, Jagex are probably not allowed to tell us anything more than that it is not available to license.) Still, I reckon Jagex are a more cooperative lot than Yahoo, so does anyone feel like emailing them and talking money (rather than trying to get secret imformation about Yahoo that they won't give, like the path I strayed down)?

matlu

Quotethat's if their custom email filters don't remove anything with the word "Castle" in it.

most likely  :D  Well, somebody said that runescape even filters word "cyber"? It's possibly due to cyberwars...?

Rob Gambino

I don't think so.  People would try to find female players and ask them to "cyber".  Jagex felt like this was harrassment.

BlitzJoker

Quote from: Rob Gambino on June 21, 2005, 06:31:18 PM
I don't think so. People would try to find female players and ask them to "cyber". Jagex felt like this was harrassment.

This also happened in Castle GamesDomain. Funny though, have never seen it happen in games like Final Fantasy 11, where the population of players is much more. Maybe the subscription fee keeps the scum players away  ;).

Parsley

I know the castle was a pleasant community.

But it was starting to enter its twilight years.

Perhaps it would be nice to keep it as a good memory, rather than a slightly disappointing reality?

:)

dragon75

dissapointing reality? dude, if that game ever comes back, it won't be dissapointing. it's out there somewhere.
"castle it was called, and many did play. cyber wars, battlethingz, MM, crypt. the games i did play and it is for the love of the game i stay."-me

OJMcduffie

Dear Jagex,

You bought gamesdomain from jagex few years ago. It included multiplayer online games like cw, battlethingz, crypt, etc. You seem to be no longer interested to run these games. Would you be willing to sell these games?

Love,
                                                   OJMcduffie

No need to thank me.

bizolt

i cant help but to think about it..if castle did come back...what would happen to this?

Rob Gambino

The castle isn't coming back.

matlu

Quote from: bizolt on July 07, 2005, 06:41:45 PM
i cant help but to think about it..if castle did come back...what would happen to this?

I guess it's never coming back, read this:
http://www.duelboard.com/forum/index.php/topic,390.0.html

zzboots

I wrote and received a letter from jagex.  It was not a rumor.  >:( Unfortunately I accidentally deleted the letter awhile back.  Constant Tedder (co-founder of jagex) gave a reply in which he said Jagex would be willing to license games starting at $5000 dollars.  I never got much information after that because I wrote back and told them I couldn't afford that much. :P

Some keys if you want to try to get a reply from Jagex:
- Make it sound professional.
- Make it sound like you are able/willing to spend a good amount of money.
-Don't use a free email address but use some subscription service.
-If you mess up, don't expect them to respond to future emails.
-I wrote to business@jagex.com

I doubt that yahoo will even bother to reply in response to anything gamesdomain related.  They just bought the website for the domain name.

Please realize that Yahoo did not buy gamesdomain from Jagex.  Yahoo already had an extensive on-line game network, so keeping the castle open would be pointless.  Jagex wasn't expecting to make any more money from castle.  So I think that both parties were fine in seeing it die.
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo

BladeSabre

Ah, I thought it might have been you. I was rather surprised when people started saying it wasn't true.

So, can you remember anything else about what you asked and what they answered? Something more specific. Were you talking about the Castle in particular? And was it $5000 ever, or an annual subscription?