• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

new player blocked chat

Started by zzboots, October 24, 2006, 02:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzboots

Since I got no reply in email....

Hey Matlu, this is zz.  I know that you have trouble with offensive language, but the current system you have set up is going to make things worse, not better.  How can new players learn the game if they are unable to communicate with anybody.  I know had it been like that when I was first starting, then I never would have learned the game.  You got to make the game more attractive to beginning players, and having chat blocked prevents this.  I know you dont like this, but perhaps having a few monderators or a report function is your best bet.  I'm sure there are a few, trustworthy people who would gladly do it.  I know it's not easy to do, nor desirable either.  But you don't want to take away from the game, and not being able to communicate does this. Then, have you been able to block IP's for repeat offenders?
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo

FireBird

i loveeeeeeee the blocked chat for new players and guests!!! now the lobby isnt full of guest nics yappin away and tryin to cause trouble

PinkPlayDoh

Cudos to Firebird!

We were doing it w/ the moderators and reports since March and it wasn't working at all. I think the new blocking of guest and new player chat is very beneficial to not only Matlu, but to everyone on the entire site. It keeps the lobby trash-talk down and keeps people who just go in there to harass people away.
"Speak to me only with your eyes." Led Zeppelin

zzboots

Quote from: PinkPlayDoh on October 24, 2006, 08:02:35 PM
Cudos to Firebird!

We were doing it w/ the moderators and reports since March and it wasn't working at all. I think the new blocking of guest and new player chat is very beneficial to not only Matlu, but to everyone on the entire site. It keeps the lobby trash-talk down and keeps people who just go in there to harass people away.

but what about the good people who aren't going to say anything bad.
How do you expect new players to learn the game?  I wouldn't have learned the game if the blocked chat was in effect.  You cannot penalize everybody because of a few bad apples.  It's not good for the expansion of the game.
-William G. McAdoo

GridironGrace

why not just put a curse word filter into the chat boxes so even if they use the words you only see ********* lol

I dont mind either way and it aint the guest that get me so much as ppl who wanna accuse you of cheating everytime something goes right for you and ur P at a table.. that REALLY KILLS me...

for the record while im on topic lol i NEVER cheat and i NEVER will.. and these threats to "email maltu" are getting very old and makes it hard for me to enjoy being here these are all the reasons i quit playing card games on yahoo and other sites.

and this is the reason i liked it here.. for the most part its a great community of card players but ive ran into a few bad eggs.

Dodger

PinkPlayDoh

For right now, it's a good answer to the problems we were having. I realize new people can't learn the game, but we intend on making a page with rules and how to play the game. I know it doesn't seem fair, but it's also not fair that some people come in and harass everyone with 20 different nics and act like they were brought up in a zoo. They drive good people away from the site and ruin things for a lot of people. This immaturity shouldn't be and isn't going to be tolerated.

And the filter is a good idea. I'll put that on the list. :D
"Speak to me only with your eyes." Led Zeppelin

hammike

I don't want to be disrespectful to Matlu or Pink, but it seems like there is hardly ever a moderator on during the peak hours (6-10 est).  I realize that you guys both work and have lives and are in different time zones.  Perhaps, another moderator who could be on during these hours would be beneficial.

Mike
eaten today? thank a farmer!

GridironGrace

One more thing...

Ignore buttons are a magical thing.. then we can pick and choose who we wanna ignore and what new comers are awesome and we love to play with em.

that would be alot less harsh and VERY Fair to everyone... if someone's harassing you... simply click a button and no more listening to them :)

flamingdragon

That would also be a lot of work for Matlu, when u can just ignore what the person says urself.
Adun Toridas, Executor.

Mr_Joshua

I LIKE THE NEW LOBBY! :D
i think we should CUDOS matlu  ;D

Dodger

Ahem. Do you perhaps mean KUDOS? 

flamingdragon

ROFL

or maybe that's just how u spell it in England?
Adun Toridas, Executor.

flamingdragon

actually I just think Joshua's retarded.  ::)
Adun Toridas, Executor.

zzboots

you people are missing the point......
-William G. McAdoo